40 thousand mile Quadratrac... Worth saving?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Ive found a QT in a wrecking yard with only 40 thousand on it. It hasn't been run since the last time it was registered in 1982 and was stored in a barn with the t case in neutral until the owner died this past summer and the kids sold it to the yard. So I know that its in theoretical good condition.

The 4 door Cherokee was in excellent shape until the yard got a hold of it. Now the doors on the passenger side won't even shut or open without extreme force. Thanks for dropping it forklift operator! Otherwise I would trade them a derelict ford thats sitting in a friends backyard for the complete truck.

So my question is... Is the QT worth saving? For 140 bucks? How hard are they to pull? How messy? What about just the chain and cones?

I think I could get it cheaper too... But that depends on a few things. Anybody know how much a QT weighs? Any one know how much a t19 weighs without a bell housing?
I think that I can get 20 bucks off for every transmission or transfer case I bring them. And I've got a couple friends with them that want them gone. So I could turn in one for a core charge and then get 40 to 60 dollars off the case. More if I can scrouge up more transmissions or scrap metal.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: 40 thousand mile Quadratrac... Worth saving?

Post by Stuka »

Chances are it has clutch cones that are still in great shape. Which are not available any longer.

T19 is about 150lbs,not sure on the QT weight. I would guess 80ish?

Since you have a QT, it would be worth getting. As a lot of small parts are just not available anymore.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

Get it. 80 would be the high side. I have had mine in and out 3 or 4 times. Slopped drive way no tranny jack no useful help. Take the adaptor off the tranny as well. If it has low range get the lever or cable as well. To get the adaptor you will need to prop the tranny up securely and droop the cross member also. You can drop QT with out draining but you might as well drain to save some weight.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

It might be worth $140. I might offer the asking price if I could torque test it or even look inside to verify it's condition. I would typically offer less and maybe start about $60-80 without being able to inspect it. I would drain it first. If it has a low range unit, you will have to remove that before attempting to pull the unit. If the rear end of the Jeep is level or lower than the front, you are going to dump a quart or so of tranny fluid when you pull it. I always have a pan ready to catch the splash. With the low range it is about 100 lbs. 76 lbs without low range.

There is a QT TSM here. Read up on the remove and install stuff.
http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac/77jeep_qt_tsm.pdf
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

OH! :idea: After draining the case, I would pull the inspection plug and measure the slack in the chain next. That should give you a pulse check on it's condition. Anything more than one inch slack is in the danger zone of damaging the transfer case.
Flint Boardman

dbabicky

Post by dbabicky »

You don't "HAVE" to pull the low range unit off to remove the x-fer case. Just disconnect the low range shift linkage, cable or lever which ever it is.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

My bad, I was thinking of splitting the case when I wrote that about the low range. I can say with confidence that the QT is easier to manage in and out of the Jeep without the low range hanging on it.
Flint Boardman

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Could two guys do it without jacks or stands? Pull yards don't allow em.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Nikkormat wrote:Could two guys do it without jacks or stands? Pull yards don't allow em.
If you have a friend with you, and you are decently strong, sure. Pull the low range unit off first, pull 30lbs off, and make it less awkward.

The yard here allows them, surprised yours doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Me too! I used to live in CO. They allowed jacks and stands when I had to put all the emissions crap back on an 88 Celebrity.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Used to... Some idiot dropped a car on his son and all the yards changed their rules. Some don't even sell jacks anymore.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I used to pull QTs often using just the armstrong method and yes, the low range unit off makes a huge difference...not only in weight, but makes the case easier to handle.
The pull yards typically use steel wheels welded together which raise the vehicle nicely and I would be able to sit underneath 'Indian-Style' with room to maneuver.
Once the case was unbolted I would pull it away from the trans enough to let it rotate, pull it free of the output shaft and lower it into my lap. I'd lean back and roll to one side with it and let it gently roll out of my hands onto the gravel. Worked like a charm--unless I wasn't wearing gloves. Gotta watch those edges!
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

Make yourself a check list. Drain case, drain low range, test chain for slack, disconnect low range lever, disconnect speedo cable, disconnect emergency lockout switch wire, disconnect vacuum lines, emergency diaphragm and vent.

Then remove low range unit, visualize how you are going to have to move rotate to get it out.

Take a brake to get out from under the rig and get the kinks out and clear your area so you can lower it and move.

Ask the yard how they want you to support the tranny so you can remove the adapter.

It is not a race and they hurt a lot when they land on soft squishy parts.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Post by 243 »

When I went to Houston on the junkyard run, the one and only pick and pull I went to, had at least 6 vehicles that had fallen off the stands, no way in hell am I crawling under a junkyard vehicle without my own jack and stands.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Talked the dude into $40 bucks no core charge since it only weighs 50 or so pounds and is mostly aluminum! Sweet deal! I'll pick it up this weekend and let you know how it goes.