Suspension lift recommendations (and a couple other ??)

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Loren Jones

Suspension lift recommendations (and a couple other ??)

Post by Loren Jones »

Hello again,

I need a 3-4" suspension lift for my Grand Wagoneer project. If short it is a 4BT NV4500 conversion as well as planned wide track conversion. I plan to run 285/75/16 which are about 33" tires.

It will be for daily driver street use, especially in snow with fairly frequent mild to moderate off road use. I mostly want a suspension lift kit that will have good durability and nice smooth ride quality. Any suggestions? SkyJacker, Rusty's, BJ's?

I want to install the suspension lift up front to allow for proper mock up of engine, trans and t-case clearances. Does my thought process make sense? I'm thinking
1) suspension lift
2) get engine/trans/t-case locations set
3) tear it all down to the frame and send frame/rolling chassis off for sandblast/paint as well as send body off for bodywork/paint and for install of widetrack fenders (I know this requires modification of the rear fenders and likely the doors and I do have some NOS cherokee wide track fender flares/inner fenders)
4) get engine and trans rebuild done at same time
5) reassembly

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: Suspension lift recommendations (and a couple other ??)

Post by rocklaurence »

I'd go with Chevy front springs with shackle reversal [FSSR] for several reasons. First, Chevy springs are cheaper. Second, heavier rate and same length. Third, enough selection to make your lift requirements with spring under or over [a 6"Chevy lift will give you 3" of lift on a spring/under on a FSJ]. Lastly, FSSR will provide a better street ride.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

SkyJacker has the best ride of any FSJ lift. And they give closer to a true 4-5" of lift.

Rusty's is decent, ran those for many years. I have no first hand experience with BJ's lift, but they offer FAR better customer service than Rusty's.

Your 4BT will weigh a bit more than a stock 360/T18a setup. But should not be too noticeable.

It's a good idea to get everything mocked up before tearing it down. Saves a lot of work later on.

BTW: Rocklaurence's post above only addresses the front springs. You would still have to do something for the rear. And if doing the shackle reversal it will require a custom long travel drive shaft because the axle will travel backwards as it compresses. Not having a long travel shaft off-road will result in a broken t-case when the shaft bottoms out.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Loren Jones

Post by Loren Jones »

Thanks for both replies.

I had read a few bad reviews on some SkyJacker kits but the complaints were mainly about premature bushing wear.

I'll probably just go with the Skyjacker kit for simplicity. Your comment about the smooth ride is very helpful Stuka.

The 4BT is probably 200 pounds heavier or so I would guess. Let's say I mount the SkyJacker 3-4" kit and the Jeep ends up having too much rake and is sitting low in front. Would I then just get the front springs re-arched to make up the diference? Or would I want to add an additional leaf to the front spring pack?

Thanks again,
Loren Jones

will e

Post by will e »

A couple of hundred pounds shouldn't make too much of a rake. Lots of us put aftermarket or customer bumpers and winches on and don't see much difference.

Sounds like a cool build you have planned.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Loren Jones

Post by Loren Jones »

Hopefully it won't require adjusting the springs to compensate for the mild increased weight.

It does sound like a cool build I have planned...it will be much cooler when it has been transformed from a plan and a pile of parts into an awesome FSJ! I'm a realist and am hoping to be driving this thing in 18 mos. I would love to think it will be sooner but I wouldn't bet on it.
will e wrote:A couple of hundred pounds shouldn't make too much of a rake. Lots of us put aftermarket or customer bumpers and winches on and don't see much difference.

Sounds like a cool build you have planned.

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

It usually doesn't require adjustment like will e said. You can trim with stronger gas charged shock. If you're looking for good ride this will be a good thing.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

The 4BT is a 900lb motor compared to the 550lbs of the AMC V8. As mentioned, a FSSR will require other mods to make it work off road [bump stops/log travel DS]. My son has been running Chevy springs with FSSR and regular DS without any issues but he limits the travel of the axle.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

If you are going to spend the dough, just call Alcan or whom ever and let them know your build plans. They would probably take the guess work out by building you a custom set to your request.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

rocklaurence wrote:The 4BT is a 900lb motor compared to the 550lbs of the AMC V8. As mentioned, a FSSR will require other mods to make it work off road [bump stops/log travel DS]. My son has been running Chevy springs with FSSR and regular DS without any issues but he limits the travel of the axle.
Cummins quotes the engine as weighing 745 to 782lbs with oil (depending on options). 200 lbs is not going to make much of a difference with normal FSJ springs.

Alcan is an option though to get both a good ride and the right weight capacity. Since the OP wants a nice ride, and GM springs having heavier spring rates, it may ride stiffer than he wants.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Loren Jones

Post by Loren Jones »

I will check them out. Thanks.
Gumby wrote:If you are going to spend the dough, just call Alcan or whom ever and let them know your build plans. They would probably take the guess work out by building you a custom set to your request.

Topic author
Loren Jones

Post by Loren Jones »

Quick update.

Thanks for the tip on Alcans. I contacted them and their price on a set of custom made springs is very competetive compared to SkyJacker for instance. Planning to order them up.

Loren

Greenmachine

Post by Greenmachine »

I ran a set of Alcans on my 52 M38 rock buggy and loved them. They flexed amazing and even though it was a offroad toy it rode better than any other swb jeep I have owned.
1975 Cherokee S factory 360,t-18, 4" hellcreek, slot mags 33" bfg's, performer intake, and Fitech fuel injection.
1980 J10 304, 5 spd, 4" Superlift, 4.88 Gears, 35" Maxxis Big Horns
1961 fc-150 fishing truck (on hold)

Former Air Cav

Post by 243 »

Loren Jones wrote:Quick update.

Thanks for the tip on Alcans. I contacted them and their price on a set of custom made springs is very competetive compared to SkyJacker for instance. Planning to order them up.

Loren
How much for 4 springs and do they include bushings and u-bolts?
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

Topic author
Loren Jones

Post by Loren Jones »

Greenmachine,

Thanks, glad to hear the good report on Alcans springs. I hope they do the same on my rig. That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

The email said $560 for the front pair and $590 for the rear pair. I don't think that includes ubolts but I'm not sure. I assumed it included the bushings. I'll report back when I place actual order.

Post by 243 »

The best price I have found for the Skyjacker kit is 1298.00 shipped with the shocks and pitman arm, so a few hundred more for the Alcan but you would receive springs specifically for your build with the heavier 4BT.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

Topic author
Loren Jones

Post by Loren Jones »

I checked with them this morning. The quote includes bushings. Ubolts are about $12 each in addition. So yes it is probably a couple hundred more than SkyJacker. I just placed my order with Alcans this morning.