Bolt-in period correct high-back seat suggestions

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
CheapJeepBrad

Bolt-in period correct high-back seat suggestions

Post by CheapJeepBrad »

I'm wanting a higher back on my cherokee seats and want a set that folds forward. I'd like for them to be from the same period so they don't look too out of place. I have been considering AMC pacer, Matador, Javelin and AMX seats. Does anyone hear run a set of these or know how they bolt in? Or do you have other suggestions for a period correct high back seat?
Current FSJs:
79 Chief White/Russet
78 Chief orange/tan
FSJs Owned:
87 GW: Garnet/Oxblood
83 GW: Green/Peanut Butter
87 GW: Black/Oxblood
74 Cherokee NT: Blue/Brown
77 Chief:Tan/Garnet
87 GW: Silver/Oxblood
79 Cherokee Golden Eagle: Garnet/Tan
81 J10 blue/blue
77 Chief brown/tan
83 J10 Laredo: Red/Black
82 Cherokee: blue/black

letank

Re: Bolt-in period correct high-back seat suggestions

Post by letank »

Mustang 90ish 88-94 or about, models may be a direct bolt in... Due to our high transmission tunnel, it gets tricky. But with torch, welder, sawzall and blood and sweat, anything can be made to fit. I did neon seat, very nice looking, but labor intensive, nissan pathfinder truck seat were easier to fit with the welder... Need to shorten the seat base otherwise people less than 6 ' won't touch the brake pedal. The exploder have been installed on wagoneers, there was a 2 door version of exploder that could fit.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

There aren't many factory high back seats from that era that I know of, they started being used for front seats in the mid 80s. Grand Wagoneers did come with head rests for the front seats.

Getting seats to work is a bit tricky. I have JK seats in my J10 and while they are comfortable, the base of them is too thick, so you sit higher and makes getting in and out hard. So I am looking to replace them.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

jeepgirl

Post by jeepgirl »

I'm interested as well. Thought about some late model wrangler seats.
"Silly boys, Jeeps are for girls!"

1978 Cherokee Chief "Ivy"

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I put a pair of 84 XJ Cherokee Sport seats (The 2-Door with fold forward seats) in my old 74 that went in very easily. If I recall correctly, I aligned one of the rear floor mounting holes with the original, bolted it in then marked the other three for new floor holes. I added two 2" wide pieces of flat bar stock on the bottom of the floor for stiffeners and bolted in with large washers.

The XJ floor pan is narrower and tighter than our FSJ's so there was no trans tunnel interference issues.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Tatsadasayago wrote:I put a pair of 84 XJ Cherokee Sport seats (The 2-Door with fold forward seats) in my old 74 that went in very easily. If I recall correctly, I aligned one of the rear floor mounting holes with the original, bolted it in then marked the other three for new floor holes. I added two 2" wide pieces of flat bar stock on the bottom of the floor for stiffeners and bolted in with large washers.

The XJ floor pan is narrower and tighter than our FSJ's so there was no trans tunnel interference issues.
How high was the sitting area on them? Similar to stock?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I think the base cushion was a bit higher by maybe 2" at the most. I'm tall like you (6' 2") and I had an intense dislike of having my head/hat touching the headliner and it wasn't an issue with those seats. The 84 seats still used the Renault curved recline setup and I had it rolled back to where the headrest and upper shoulder area were about even with the B-Pillar. With the seat set the lower cushion and thigh bolster kept my clutch leg well supported while wheeling.
Worked great for me.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

dbabicky

Post by dbabicky »

I used Bestop replacement seats for a CJ in my J-10, they bolted right up to the factory sliders and work great.

Topic author
CheapJeepBrad

Post by CheapJeepBrad »

Tatsadasayago wrote:I put a pair of 84 XJ Cherokee Sport seats (The 2-Door with fold forward seats) in my old 74 that went in very easily. If I recall correctly, I aligned one of the rear floor mounting holes with the original, bolted it in then marked the other three for new floor holes. I added two 2" wide pieces of flat bar stock on the bottom of the floor for stiffeners and bolted in with large washers.

I just finished messing with some 87 seats from a 2door cherokee that tilted forward. THey felt awesome in the cherokee, but I was disappointed with the final fitment in the J10. I removed and rewelded much of the base to line up with the factory holes. The back still sat too far forward and I couldn't get the arm extension at the steering wheel that I favor. I was thinking about trying to find some javelin seats in hopes that they have the same bolt pattern (amc) and fold forward.
Current FSJs:
79 Chief White/Russet
78 Chief orange/tan
FSJs Owned:
87 GW: Garnet/Oxblood
83 GW: Green/Peanut Butter
87 GW: Black/Oxblood
74 Cherokee NT: Blue/Brown
77 Chief:Tan/Garnet
87 GW: Silver/Oxblood
79 Cherokee Golden Eagle: Garnet/Tan
81 J10 blue/blue