Drum brake howl- can't seem to get rid of it

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
the original honcho

Drum brake howl- can't seem to get rid of it

Post by the original honcho »

So I've been putting in a lot of effort on my '91. My Dad convinced me to pay his friend, allegedly a mechanic, to do my brakes because the guy did a good job on the brakes on my Mom's Durango.
Well the next day the drums were howling; right before it comes to a stop. It sounds like a bus, or some other big heavy drum brakes. I drove it another day hoping it was just a coating or something. No change. I tried calling the guy but he said he was in Houston. I never got ahold of him again, and needless to say he never showed up. When I checked the drums, they were filthy and the drum was glazed. I wouldn't have believed he had them machined if I didnt have the receipt. I bought new drums, shoes and hardware kit. 2 days later...
This time I took it into a brake shop that used to work on my Camaro. He put new shoes and fixed some springs he said I installed backwards. 2 days later same story. I took it back, and he told me to buy $150 Wagner shoes or get used to it. The rear passenger side locks up with very little effort now, too. What gives?
Steve
Las Cruces, NM

1979 Jeep J-10 Honcho
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
1975 Jeep Wagoneer
1968 Plymouth Satellite
1978 Camaro
1980 'Vette

Tatsadasayago

Re: Drum brake howl- can't seem to get rid of it

Post by Tatsadasayago »

When you say the drums were filthy/glazed, did you mean from brake dust or something else?

I'd be inclined to look at the bearing seal(s) for weeping enough lubricant into the drum as a possible cause. Gear lube/bearing grease can mix with the brake dust and turn it into goop that turns black when it gets hot, it bakes into the shoes and drum which causes sticky/rapid braking and chattering. Brake fluid from leaking wheel cylinders does a similar thing.

Another possible fix is to pull the shoes and bevel the leading and trailing edges with a grinder similar to how modern brake pads have. The bevel reduces the square edge that acts like a snow plow blade as the shoe contacts the drum.

I've had larger GM drums that came off the brake lathe looking like a vinyl record from the operator feeding the tool too fast that set up a harmonic vibration. That caused a low frequency 'thrumming' sound at low speed when applying the brakes.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
the original honcho

Filthy with brake dust... There is SLIGHT seepage on one side, but only noticeable to some one with ocd like me... and probably not enough to make a drop. The shoes came beveled, and I'm labratory- clean when I changed them. Could bad wheel cylinders make uneven pressure on the drums? Only thing not brand new
Steve
Las Cruces, NM

1979 Jeep J-10 Honcho
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
1975 Jeep Wagoneer
1968 Plymouth Satellite
1978 Camaro
1980 'Vette

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Try sticking flatwashers on the wheel studs under the drum and see if the noise goes away. If it does, then the shoes are wrong width.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
the original honcho

carnuck wrote:Try sticking flatwashers on the wheel studs under the drum and see if the noise goes away. If it does, then the shoes are wrong width.
Is that a problem with discount auto parts stores???
I'll give it a shot! The shoes are from O'Reilly, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it were the shoes.
Steve
Las Cruces, NM

1979 Jeep J-10 Honcho
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
1975 Jeep Wagoneer
1968 Plymouth Satellite
1978 Camaro
1980 'Vette

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

If the shoes are too wide you should see a rounded wear groove/pattern at the outer edge that matches the shoe lining.
I'd forgotten about that one! Stock and proper replacement shoes will stay about 1/16" or so in from the edge where the drum makes that 90 degree turn.
Another cause might be the shoes are out too far from the backing plate. I vaguely remember finding that someone had installed the wrong length pin on the shoe retainer springs which caused the shoes to angle outward in the middle--thus causing the shoe to rub against the edge of the drum.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

The correct shoes should be the same as '77 Chevy Blazer
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
the original honcho

carnuck wrote:The correct shoes should be the same as '77 Chevy Blazer
The shoes O'Reilly sold me are part #462; according to their website a '77 Blazer shoe is part #450. No size detail is given on the Jeep; the Blazer is 11.16X2.75
Steve
Las Cruces, NM

1979 Jeep J-10 Honcho
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
1975 Jeep Wagoneer
1968 Plymouth Satellite
1978 Camaro
1980 'Vette