Need Help Finding Rims

Stock FSJ Tech Area

carnuck

Re: Need Help Finding Rims

Post by carnuck »

Find 8 lug 16s or 17s if they are cheaper.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

stpat

Post by stpat »

I just bought a set of Toyota truck rims to put on my 78 J10, the lug spacing is ok but the inner wheel hits on the front brake caliper, guess I'll keep looking. Patrick

Topic author
NBD925

Post by NBD925 »

Carnuck: How will the 8 lug rims work on a 6 lug hub? My original rims were the 15 inch 6x5.5 steel white rims.

So far, going custom will run you about $540 or so for 4 rims. More if you add shipping and different rim type. I think this is the only way to really go for the guys wanting to go to 16 inch rims on there FSJ's without any compromise or real fit issues.

Stockton Wheel has a few choices at varying prices. The perfect solution would be there 32 series rim. This offers all the perfect specs to replicate the original 15 inch rims (Just up-sized to 16 inch hoops. They feature 3.5 inch hub center hole that will match. 4 inch backspace and the all important 10 1/8 inch hubcap nubs so you can use the original AMC hub caps if you want. This 32 series rim how ever perfect, carries a hefty price tag. $225.00 per rim plain steel. They have to do some fabrication to get it into a 16 inch hoop. I guess the center of the wheel starts life off in a 15 inch rim or something.

32 Series = $225.00 (10 1/8 Inch Hub Cap) 3.5 Hub Hole and can be milled out to any dimension
20 Series = $149.00 (11 1/2 Inch Hub Cap) 4 1/4 Hub Hole
Smoothie = $135.00 (7 Inch Hub Cap) 4 1/2 Hub Hole
55 Series = $135.00 (7 Inch Hub Cap) 4 1/4 Hub Hole (I might go with this option, the rally wheel look seems cool)

4 inch backspace is the shortest backspace in a 16x7 inch rim. 16x6 offers a little shorter option, maybe 3.5 or so.

If I go with the 55 series at 5 rims shipped should be around $675.00 with $140 in shipping or so.

Check them out here:

http://www.stocktonwheel.com/smoothie.html
http://www.stocktonwheel.com/heavy_duty.html

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I think he was commenting at kenworthslave but did not quote him.

Stockton wheel does great work, and they have a nice facility. But thats a lot of money just to have 16" steel wheels. You can buy 17" alloys for that price, or get 15" for way less.

Maybe I already asked, but why do you want to run such an oddball tire size? You can get 33x9.50r15's which is very similar in size.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
NBD925

Post by NBD925 »

Vehicle Specs: 1977 Jeep J-10 258 3.54 gears and 2 inch lift. T-15 Trans.

Stuka: There are a couple reasons I want to go to 16 inch rims and skinny tires. First I run chains in the winter to get up to a few of my hunting spots. I use them quite a bit. I looked into 31x10.5 r15 on the stock 15 rims and I do not think I could get chains on them and clear the rear springs. I think they would rub on the inside or be very very close. Its close as it is with the 235/75/r15's I have now. The snow gets deep up near Seeley and I push snow as deep as the bumper every year. I think those tall skinny tires with chains will do even better.

Both the 235/75r15 and the 31x10.5r15 look to small with my 2 inch lift on that J-10.

The old Jeeps came with the 16 inch rims stock. I think they look better and you have way more tire selection in that size.

The 15 inch rim offers very little in the Tall Narrow category. I think two manufactures make tires that would be suitable in that 33x9.5r15. BFG's and Super Swamper TSL. The swamper is a no go for me. There loud and they don't wear well. I want a tire that will last more than 30,000 miles. My truck is kind of a daily driver and the off-roading I do is nothing extreme at all. There Forest Service roads to a gate. They are a dying size in my opinion. I just googled the 33x9.5xr15 and there is not many sellers. They seem to be a specialty tire already.

I would like the extra height and ground clearance but really have to balance that larger tire with my gearing. 258 six cylinder, 3.54 gears on Dana 44's and a T-15 Three Speed Tranny. 32 inches or slightly less is about the max diameter that I calculated would work and not see a huge hit in performance.

The money spent going to 16 inch rims is not much different than someone going to 33's or bigger and re-gearing to accommodate. There are allot of people looking for 16 inch rims for there Jeeps. I think this would be a good upgrade in looks and tire availability. You also have to take these points knowing that I'm not a rock crawler, mudder or hardcore off-road junkie. I hate fat wide tires, they just don't work in snow and chains don't fit. I just want a nice looking and practical hunting/weekend rig for the family to get into the mountains and do work with when projects arise.

Here is another option I have found.

Wheel Smith http://www.thewheelsmith.net/CustomWhee ... ories.html

You can dictate the hub hole size up from about 3.5 inches to 4 1/2 inches. With that hub hole you can really make the rim look stock by having it about 3.5 inches and not the huge Toyota hub hole of 4 1/4. Prices are better here too.

16x7 4 inch backspace 6x5.5 lug

Smoothie = $116.00 (7 1/2 Inch Hub Cap) 3.5 Inch Hub Hole
Rallye Wheel = $126.00 (7 1/2 Inch Hub Cap) 3.5 Inch Hub Hole

$45 per rim for powder coating but I think I can get that cheaper where I live.
Shipping to me is about the same.

10% off from now till Monday as a Holiday Special.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I am a fan of skinny tires too. And you have very valid points. Fitting chains on a J-Truck is not real easy.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon

Herk

Post by Herk »

The ability to run chains is going to be limited by your backspace. Keep it under 4" and you can, any more you probably won't be able to. I've been running 33x10.50-15 BFG AT's on 15x7 rims for 15 years now and they are just about perfect for the size and weight of a J-truck. I can run cable chains but even they are tight around the rear springs, and even with a closed knuckle front axle I can't get too froggy cranking the steering wheel. Later trucks may have more room up front. FWIW I think I have 4" BS rims.

The 33's did look a little small when I had a 4" lift, giving the truck a "lifted" look. I was more into that when I was younger I guess. I grew tired of the 4" lift, made peace with the fact I had a small pecker and lowered the truck to stock ride height +2". Best upgrade I've ever done except maybe the 4 Bbl.

It sounds like 235/85-16's on a 16x6.5 rim with neutral offset is what you want, but don't rule out the 33x10.5-15 if you stay with a 15" rim. Your 77 J-10 most likely came with 15x6" wheels and a 31" tire stock. 16" inch rims were J-20 stuff by then.

Topic author
NBD925

Post by NBD925 »

Herk: I run a heavy duty chain on mine on all 4 tires. There is a 1/4 of room between the rear springs and the tire with chain installed. That is with the 235/75/r15 tires. There is no way the 31x10.5's would work with this chain setup. I don't think the cables would work in my area. I decided to go with the 16 inch rims. 4 inch backspace was the smallest backspace option in this rim so I'm sticking with it. The 235/85/r16 tire should fit just like the tire I have now so there should be no concern.

Here is what I ordered from "The Wheel Smith":

Model: Smoothie (I ordered 5 rims)
Size: 16x7
Backspace: 4 inch
Lug Pattern: 6x5.5
Hub Hole Diameter: 3 9/16
Powder Coated White: I think I am going with color code RAL-9001 (I'll update when I confirm that) Its an off white that should look close to original.

Tires will be Duratrack Studded 235/85/r16

I got the Holiday special and everything shipped to my door was $852.00

I am having them make one and ship it out so I can see if it fits correctly then they will ship the other 4.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

NBD925 wrote:Carnuck: How will the 8 lug rims work on a 6 lug hub? My original rims were the 15 inch 6x5.5 steel white rims.

So far, going custom will run you about $540 or so for 4 rims. More if you add shipping and different rim type. I think this is the only way to really go for the guys wanting to go to 16 inch rims on there FSJ's without any compromise or real fit issues.

Stockton Wheel has a few choices at varying prices. The perfect solution would be there 32 series rim. This offers all the perfect specs to replicate the original 15 inch rims (Just up-sized to 16 inch hoops. They feature 3.5 inch hub center hole that will match. 4 inch backspace and the all important 10 1/8 inch hubcap nubs so you can use the original AMC hub caps if you want. This 32 series rim how ever perfect, carries a hefty price tag. $225.00 per rim plain steel. They have to do some fabrication to get it into a 16 inch hoop. I guess the center of the wheel starts life off in a 15 inch rim or something.

32 Series = $225.00 (10 1/8 Inch Hub Cap) 3.5 Hub Hole and can be milled out to any dimension
20 Series = $149.00 (11 1/2 Inch Hub Cap) 4 1/4 Hub Hole
Smoothie = $135.00 (7 Inch Hub Cap) 4 1/2 Hub Hole
55 Series = $135.00 (7 Inch Hub Cap) 4 1/4 Hub Hole (I might go with this option, the rally wheel look seems cool)

4 inch backspace is the shortest backspace in a 16x7 inch rim. 16x6 offers a little shorter option, maybe 3.5 or so.

If I go with the 55 series at 5 rims shipped should be around $675.00 with $140 in shipping or so.

Check them out here:

http://www.stocktonwheel.com/smoothie.html
http://www.stocktonwheel.com/heavy_duty.html

'88 up Chev 3/4 ton 2wd 16" rims are 6 lug and right offset. 4x4 ones aren't. I think I have them on with the '78 Blazer front axle.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Stuka wrote:I think he was commenting at kenworthslave but did not quote him.

Stockton wheel does great work, and they have a nice facility. But thats a lot of money just to have 16" steel wheels. You can buy 17" alloys for that price, or get 15" for way less.

Maybe I already asked, but why do you want to run such an oddball tire size? You can get 33x9.50r15's which is very similar in size.
Actually, that size is no longer available. 10.5 is the skinniest in road tires. I think it's stupid because they claim they didn't sell, yet those weren't advertised anywhere either. BFG stopped making them, but they sucked anyways. 1 year and they were gone (less than 20,000 miles) The Kelly Big O Safari MSRs lasted almost 60,000 used miles on the same truck without an alignment.

stpat

Post by stpat »

1978 J10 with 258, Thought I had the wheel problem solved, no luck, got a set of early (1970 Blazer 15in rims) Chevrolet rims but the front wheels hit the brake calipers, so am off on the quest again, tried some Toyota truck rims, same problem. Any help appreciated, I know this has been beaten pretty well but seems like there should be an answer without breaking the bank, maybe changing front brakes to newer? I was told that the rims I got were for drum brakes, don't know. Thanks, Patrick

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

'74 up Chev rims work because they use the same disc brakes as J10s and Wags.

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

If you like the stock look then get these. I have a full set (5) that I bought to replace my original wheels when I purchased new tires. I ordered them through discount tire and got all 5 with new center caps and lug nuts for about $250.00.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-7 ... fgodcw0AYQ
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

stpat wrote:1978 J10 with 258, Thought I had the wheel problem solved, no luck, got a set of early (1970 Blazer 15in rims) Chevrolet rims but the front wheels hit the brake calipers, so am off on the quest again, tried some Toyota truck rims, same problem. Any help appreciated, I know this has been beaten pretty well but seems like there should be an answer without breaking the bank, maybe changing front brakes to newer? I was told that the rims I got were for drum brakes, don't know. Thanks, Patrick
1970 Blazers had Drums up front, which is why the wheels did not fit.

I have late 70's K10 Rally wheels on my J10 and they work fine.
2017 JKU Rubicon

jlmealer

SIZING CHARTS Re: Need Help Finding Rims

Post by jlmealer »

Easy place to find the wheels and such. I'll be adding this chart to my own website soon.
http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-rods ... D+WAGONEER