New to the FSJ world

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

66stepside

Re: New to the FSJ world

Post by 66stepside »

What color is that sexy beast?! That pops!

Topic author
FrankenWag

Post by FrankenWag »

66stepside wrote:What color is that sexy beast?! That pops!
Thanks!

No clue... more silvery than green, but looks different in different light... I dig it too!

Tim

bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

Nice looking Jeep!! Like that color. By any chance did you get that in SE Portland?
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT
Edelbrock non EGR, Holley 600cfm, 32" BFG Mud Terrain KM2's. Lots of Bondo.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7276

Topic author
FrankenWag

Post by FrankenWag »

Encinitas

Topic author
FrankenWag

Post by FrankenWag »

I'm starting to dig on that dash.... it really took some skill...

A very talented person (previous owner to me) - as far as I can tell - hand painted the wood on my 1971...

I am now looking for a solution to (at least) the speaker hole... Thinking about a small leather pad....

Tim

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Oh WOW!
I assumed that was a vinyl overlay!
Impressive and unique for sure.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
FrankenWag

Post by FrankenWag »

I can find the VIN tag, on the drivers side door jamb....

But i cannot find the body codes/ build codes anywhere....

I have seen them on the firewall (riveted tag) on later Wagoneers, but wonder the location on earlier models... I have searchd the internet and the forums... all point me to the VIN tag, which I already have found...

Any ideas?

Topic author
FrankenWag

Post by FrankenWag »

well surgery started yesterday...

Basic stuff being addressed first, but wanted to get it prepped for the 700R4 swap, and my Atlas II to arrive.

Ordered the Novak adapter for AMC V8 to chevy trans, and it's all starting to line up now.

** Also located a totally rad set of original Kelsey-Hayes Renegade 1 wheels, from a 1970 CJ-5. 8" wide, good offset, and period correct, which is the look I'm going for.

I'll get some pics to add to the fray.

T

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

FrankenWag wrote:I can find the VIN tag, on the drivers side door jamb....

But i cannot find the body codes/ build codes anywhere....

I have seen them on the firewall (riveted tag) on later Wagoneers, but wonder the location on earlier models... I have searchd the internet and the forums... all point me to the VIN tag, which I already have found...

Any ideas?
Your 71 should have the VIP (Vehicle Identification Plate) on the firewall just above the hood hinge.
I don't see it in the photo of your engine compartment and suspect someone removed it. I can't see the rivets or holes which would make me immediately suspicious of the vehicle and previous owner(s). I cannot think of a legal reason why someone would remove it and fill the holes.
I would be questioning the legality of not having that plate and hope your door pillar tag is intact...

Topic author
FrankenWag

Post by FrankenWag »

Thanks Tatsadasayago,

I do have the door pillar tag, but agree with you on the question of why someone would remove and fill the holes on the firewall.

Either way, love the Jeep so far, and am committed to the build. Just really curious on it's history and original options. For some reason, knowing the OG color is important to me....

It is undergoing some major changes, so it will never be stock - I can sleep comfortably knowing i didn't change some original survivor judging by what's already been done...

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I hear ya!

Depending on the mood at the time, the people on the assembly line would stuff the broadcast sheet under the seat springs, behind interior panels and under the carpet. I've even found them above the headliner!
If nothing else, you can pull the r/r interior panel and take a peek at the original paint inside. You can match it with the known colors available that year which AMC/Jeep kept fairly limited.
I went a step further by taking a good clear photo of the original paint in good light, opened the image in Photoshop and arrived at an exact color match to a Dupont paint code...but I get a bit OCD about such things.

Here's a chart of 71 AMC colors for your reference.

Topic author
FrankenWag

Post by FrankenWag »

Wow! I've been searching for that paint chip sheet... Thank you!

No idea what was stock, but the interior paint is just a bit more green than the exterior. I attributed it to sun fade, but it's a damn near match to limelight green metallic.

It has definitely been painted, but it's interesting to note that the color could be (close) to factory.

Tim

1971J4000

Post by 1971J4000 »

FrankenWag wrote:Wow! I've been searching for that paint chip sheet... Thank you!

No idea what was stock, but the interior paint is just a bit more green than the exterior. I attributed it to sun fade, but it's a damn near match to limelight green metallic.

It has definitely been painted, but it's interesting to note that the color could be (close) to factory.

Tim
I am just in process of painting my 2 tone 1971 J4000. Has the same green I believe as your vehicle. Under the wheel wells the green was different than the green on the outside panels. Did a lot of research and came up with the correct color. It is Avocado Mist Metallic. Now that the vehicle is painted, the green is somewhere between the "faded" green and the green under the wheel wells and looks awesome. Anyway, attached are some pictures that might be of assistance. The pic of the side of the truck and of the truck on the lift are before being painted. The pic of the truck with no box is with the new Avocado Mist Metallic Paint.

Avocado Mist Metallic

AMC Jeep Code 534
Ditzler PPG 44115
Acme 6077
Dupont 7316d

John
IMG_5020.JPG
030.JPG
1128041026.jpg
JeepPaintCodes1971.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 J4600 with Dauntless 350

Topic author
FrankenWag

Post by FrankenWag »

Thanks John!

It appears as if that may have been the original color from what jeep offered in 1971.