5.3 swap radiator and hoses

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
BIG79J10

5.3 swap radiator and hoses

Post by BIG79J10 »

Hey guys, I'm ready to put a radiator in my J10 with the 5.3 GM. I have seen that a bunch of people are using the Griffin 8-00009-LS. I guess my question is to anyone that has it, was it a bolt in swap? I don't care to drill a couple of holes but I don't really want to cut out sheet metal or have to take it to a radiator shop to have brackets welded on the sides. The other question is does anyone happen to have the part number of the hoses you are running with this radiator? I'm short on time and when I do get to work on the truck I don't want to spend all day in a parts store trying to find hoses that MIGHT work. I'm running the stock GM clutch fan too. Not an electric fan. Thanks for the help.....
79 J10--- 5.3, SM465/NP205, SOA'd on Chevy 3/4 tons. Sitting on 37's............ IT FINALLY MOVES UNDER ITS OWN POWER!!!!

Jerry Blair

Re: 5.3 swap radiator and hoses

Post by Jerry Blair »

It was not a direct bolt in for my previously 6 cylinder equipped Waggy. I am still in process but substantial cutting and other fitting has been involved. Other folks do not seem to have had the issues I am experiencing.

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

It was pretty much a "drill a few holes and bolt it in" sort of deal. Your mileage may vary, of course, as each swap is a bit different.

My upper and lower hoses came from a 2004 GMC Sierra with a 6.0. The upper is about 25 feet too long, but I used only two small portions of it. Between them, I installed a connector which has a threaded hole for the temperature sending unit for the fan controller. Since you're not using an electric fan, you can just use a plain connector.

Jerry Blair

Post by Jerry Blair »

ProTouring442 wrote:It was pretty much a "drill a few holes and bolt it in" sort of deal. Your mileage may vary, of course, as each swap is a bit different.
Would you mind snapping a few pics of the raid ado attached to the core support? The mounts on my radiator required me to bolt it to the front of the core support rather than the back of the factory radiator supports. Is that how yours attach?

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Jerry Blair wrote:
ProTouring442 wrote:It was pretty much a "drill a few holes and bolt it in" sort of deal. Your mileage may vary, of course, as each swap is a bit different.
Would you mind snapping a few pics of the raid ado attached to the core support? The mounts on my radiator required me to bolt it to the front of the core support rather than the back of the factory radiator supports. Is that how yours attach?

Sort of... I mounted my engine slightly forward to put the transfer case closer to the original position. Because of this, and my use of a Lincoln Mark VII fan, I mounted my radiator farther forward.

Topic author
BIG79J10

Post by BIG79J10 »

That connector for the hoses looks like the one I bought from a company called JTR a few years ago. I used it as a steam return port on another engine into the upper radiator hose.
79 J10--- 5.3, SM465/NP205, SOA'd on Chevy 3/4 tons. Sitting on 37's............ IT FINALLY MOVES UNDER ITS OWN POWER!!!!

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

BIG79J10 wrote:That connector for the hoses looks like the one I bought from a company called JTR a few years ago. I used it as a steam return port on another engine into the upper radiator hose.
Yes, it came from Jags That Run.