Cherokee Drip Rail

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
MP&C

Cherokee Drip Rail

Post by MP&C »

Not sure if this is in the correct section or should be moved to technical, if not, could the mods please move it.

I had an email recently from a Cherokee owner that wanted some drip rails fabricated to take care of some rust issues around his windshield. I had done on-off reproductions for other vehicles and he contacted me as he had little luck in sourcing used parts. I asked him to send me a small sample of the cross section and I would try it. Here's a thread to show the fabrication, may help others to form their own repairs..

Sample I received:

The fabrication sample was done with 18ga crs using the bead roller, mag brake, and press brake.

Missed a few of the other in-process pictures, but here is the "test sample"

The resulting sample has the "drop" or offset from the bottom of the "tray" to the bottom of the outer face less in height than that on the original. Time to back up and punt.... The step dies in the bead roller are what is providing the offset height, so that needed to increase.. The dies I used in the original attempt had about a .07 offset. I didn't want to alter their size as they get used once in a blue moon for sheet metal offset, like I did for the 55 Chevy truck windshield panel.. So I decided to make another set, and based on the dimensional difference between the good sample and the trial piece, it looked like I needed to add about .04 to the offset, or .110 total. So here are the new dies that were formed on the South Bend..

I used a "backstop" die behind the bottom roller, and after some trial and error, had to go back and trim a bit more off the width of the lower die to get the drip rail height correct.

Then the "backstop" die was radiused to use with the skateboard wheel in providing the radius for the front face...

Then a few passes with the tipping die to fold up the front face...

The ends wanted to fold much more than the rest of the trial piece, so rather than continually readjust the tension, I sacrificed the first inch or so and just cut it off in the band saw.

Here is the outer portion formed, the height of the face section is about perfect, this is using die width and back stop to regulate dimension...

The offset also turned out much better. The sharp bend (Vee shape at the bottom) on mine wasn't quite as tight together, but I don't know that I can get much better than that with this tooling I'm using, without changing to a different process (ie: more expense). For you Cherokee owners, before I proceed further, do you feel this slight variance in shape is "close enough"??

Lumpskie

Re: Cherokee Drip Rail

Post by Lumpskie »

I can't help you on your tolerance question, but I think what you're doing is cool.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

I can't help you on your tolerance question, but I think what you're doing is cool.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Thanks for posting, Robert. I'm a big fan of your work shown on GarageJournal.com. Our vehicles have minimal value compared to some of the cars you work on.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
MP&C

Post by MP&C »

Thanks for the comments guys. Tim, as you've probably seen, I enjoy a good challenge ;)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

For some reason I am having trouble thinking why the part that goes against the body is so long. Just looking out the window at my J10 and the drip rail does not have anything that goes up along the body. Unless of course that part slides in underneath the upper skin of the roof.

Either way, really top notch work. I love all the things you can do with a beed roller.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
MP&C

Post by MP&C »

I've done similar repair on a 55 Chevy wagon, and the structure is very similar. There is a structural "boxing" that goes around the perimeter of the roof, then the drip rail is spot welded to the outside of this structure, then the roof skin is spot welded into the drip rail. Here is a section of that, excuse the upside-down picture, but this shows it well how all the parts interact.

Cherokee:

55 Chevy:

New drip rail welded in...

Inside view of structural boxing....

Cross section...

So you can see what is entailed in replacing drip rail to the factory location.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Ahh I see now!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

That is too cool! Thanks for sharing this with us.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

81Cherokee Laredo

Post by 81Cherokee Laredo »

Thats very cool, all thats left now is to make the stainless trim for the drip rail. :D
81 Cherokee Laredo 360/727/219 - SOA/SF Inwk - 4.56 D44/AMC20 35 Cooper's - J20 Steering Box
83 Cherokee W/T - Katy - Long term project
89 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/229 - 31 X 10.50

COLORADOCRAWLER

Post by COLORADOCRAWLER »

Nice to see how this area goes together. I was contemplating a full roof swap. I have the dealer installed sunroof (leaks among other things) and when I removed the dealer installed Vinyl I found some pretty bad rust from the drip rail approx 2" up along both sides of the truck and under the roof rack mounts. Not meaning to hijack your thread, but can I cut and swap an entire roof skin without ending up with a warped up mess? The alternative is to build a patch for the sunroof plus all of the smaller rust areas without ending up with a warped mess. I am working off of the assumption that cutting the entire roof off at the pillars is not advisable? It just looks like getting in there to weld and reinforce all of the structures within the pillars may not be possible. Any thoughts?
-Rick
87' GW 5.3/4l60E/NP241C, Dakota Digital dash, high steer, 31's, still needs a bigfoot gas pedal to tie it all together.
90' YJ 3 link coils front, 4 link double triangulated coils rear, D44s, ARBs, 4.56, 35's

Topic author
MP&C

Post by MP&C »

I haven't looked at the FSJ roof to know how all the pillars are tied in, but for a comparison, the 55 roof has a drip rail that goes around the perimeter of the roof except for above the windshield. So the roof skin has a narrow flange that sits inside the drip rail, and a wider stepped flange that ties into the windshield opening.. So everything on that is spot welded except for a small leaded seam that spans across the top of the A-pillar. The spot welds into the drip rail are every 1/2" apart! :shock:

For the 55 I had to modify some spot welder tips to fit inside the drip rail. The normal cone shaped tips will definitely not fit the bill:

Looks like we'll have to make our own, so lets start out with some flat tips, and start on the bottom. This one has to be trimmed down pretty short to fit in there because of the outward crease just below the drip edge:

Then to shape up the top one, it will need the extra length to reach past the drip edge:

Then a test fit....

Let's see the spot welder in action:

I would guess a large part of your roof will have a similar attachment.

Road Trip

Post by Road Trip »

Robert, I have been through your entire "how to" thread on TGJ and I continue to be both inspired and impressed by your work. I have used some of your planishing techniques for welding in patches as I learn on my own how to. In fact, I just got a notice that something new has been added to the thread and I'm going there next to see what else you have done. Thanks for posting!
Robert

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

simply awsome
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Topic author
MP&C

Post by MP&C »

Thanks for the comments guys.

I did another sample of drip rail to try and tighten up the bottom "vee". Sample flanged as before...

....and radius added to the front face...

Before I had used the tipping die at the crease adjacent to the radius flange only, and in an attempt to keep the vee tighter, I also flipped the piece over and used the sharp tipping wheel on the back side. Once the flange was tipped, I also used the tipping wheel (with backstop) to mark the other two folds.. Then the obtuse angle was folded using the tipping wheel, the 90 was folded using a gooseneck die in the press brake.

letank

Post by letank »

Very, very impressive and thank you for taking the time to post picts.

TGJ forum? Interested in link, plizzzz.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Superb example of metalworking!
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Mrpatatomoto

Post by Mrpatatomoto »

letank wrote:Very, very impressive and thank you for taking the time to post picts.

Its in his Sig
1982 Cherokee Chief, 258, T5 , NP208, 3.31, 33" BFG KO2's
32/36 weber, MSD 6a, Core/Hurst Shifter

Topic author
MP&C

Post by MP&C »

letank wrote:Very, very impressive and thank you for taking the time to post picts.

Some "reading" material............

My shop thread:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/show ... p?t=182565

Welding in Patch Panels:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/show ... hp?t=53534

Sheet Metal Fab Projects:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/show ... hp?t=81325