Front fender rust

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
racerx12003r1

Front fender rust

Post by racerx12003r1 »

Hey all. I am currently in the middle of an engine swap on my rig and figure this is the best time to repair some bad spots. (The front clip is off) Can anyone suggest where I could get patch panels for the rear of my front fenders. They are basically MIA. I guess i could cut and fab up some if nessesary, but it would be so much easier if I could just cut some prefabbed panels in. Thanks for the help.
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)

jaber
Vendor

Re: Front fender rust

Post by jaber »

I have not seen panels, just full fenders. Not saying they arent out there...

You might have better luck watching the for sale section here... ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Yep - no patch panels available, AFAIK. Even Jeep sold complete fenders, not patch panels. It does not make sense from a time-and-effort POV to repair a rusty fender, when the R&R takes so little time.

I'd look for good replacement fenders from a western truck. If I were still set on repairing front fenders, I'd get some less-rusty or some Wagoneer fenders and use them as donors. If all they need is new flanges, just making flanges might be easier than searching out an inexpensive donor fender.

Try the parts listings here and on IFSJA, and post in the WTB boards. The Jeep junkyards will also have fenders (Jake's or J&W among others) but anything purchased private party should be a lot cheaper.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

Yea, I looked everywhere I could think of and only found the rear sections and lower rocker panels for Waggys. Other than the lower rear of my fenders, they are in suprisingly good shape. That's why I was thinking about a repair. I saw somewhere on here that somebody was selling fiberglass units. There is supposed to be somebody around here in NC that has a Jeep salvage yard. I may have to look into a good used set.
Daniel

HOOT

Post by HOOT »

Jake and Jackie have a FSJ junkyard in Burnsville/Marion NC area, it's about in the middle of the two cities. If you are going to be around Cincinnati, Ohio area come see me. I have Mopar edition, just like originals, fenders as well as some very nice non-rusted and even some rusty ones. I even have the newer, much thinner, reproductions fenders.

I'm not interested in shipping unless you know full well it will cost over $100 in freight charges alone.
I need to go to Jakes myself to get some new spring packs but not sure exactly when that will be.
1980 and 81 J20 melding into a 1980 Utility bed J20. Project cancelled and for sale, found a factory truck.
1980 J20 Utility truck. Replaced above project.
1977 Honcho getting turned into a 1977 J20 Gladoncho.
IFSJA Member #4662 Joined March 28, 2003

We're on a road to nowhere.....

Topic author
racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

Oh yea. thats the place i was thinking about. I grew up around that area. I really doubt I personally would be up in the Ohio area. I used to go up there on ocasion for work. I used to be a mechanic for R and L carriers out of Wilmington Ohio. How much are we looking at for a set HOOT? My nephew travels quite a bit for work now and if he heads that way, I may get him to pick me up some fresh tin. ;)
Daniel

HOOT

Post by HOOT »

anywhere from $150-$400 for new and $50- $150 for used. I have about a dozen here right now, that will all change in the next few months. I'll be keeping a personal stash for future repairs soon. I don't want all the excess sheet metal when the garage construction starts.

I may be going to the Oct meet in NC Unwharrie Forest. That's an IF at most right now.
1980 and 81 J20 melding into a 1980 Utility bed J20. Project cancelled and for sale, found a factory truck.
1980 J20 Utility truck. Replaced above project.
1977 Honcho getting turned into a 1977 J20 Gladoncho.
IFSJA Member #4662 Joined March 28, 2003

We're on a road to nowhere.....

Topic author
racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

I hope you do make it down here. I sure plan to be there, all goes well with the operations from the other half. I should have my new engine set in place permanent this weekend. Then comes the fun of working out t :) he bugs.
Daniel