Screwed up my power steering pulley

Area for General FSJ related chat.

haminawag

Re: Screwed up my power steering pulley

Post by haminawag »

will e wrote:The AZ guys are great.
It's all that heat, it makes ya loopy. ha ha :lol:
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

This reminded me, got the pulley on yesterday. And yes, the heat and sweat and BO was making me quite loopy, but got it on. While I had the old one off, I tried to fix the leak from the high pressure hose/fitting. I failed. I don't know why it was leaking, and the hoses are all cracking like crazy. So I put it back together and made it driveable and gave up. Honestly, I know I could replace the hoses myself. I just don't want to. Nor do I have time before this weekend. So this morning I dropped it off at the mechanic and said "Please replace my power steering hoses and stop this stupid leak".

I feel a little guilty not replacing them myself when I've done everything else myself. I fixed the main problem (leaking PS pump), even if I introduced a new one. But the feeling of it now being someone else's problem feels pretty damn awesome, even if I do have to spend a little of my fun money on it.
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

will e

Post by will e »

It is hopeless. It will always leak.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Just heard from the mechanic. The brand new (rebuilt) power steering pump appears to be leaking. Awesome. Also, my lower radiator hose is bulging, so time for new hoses before the weekend trip. I do remember thinking that the lower hose looked funny when I was under it looking for the power steering leak but I conveniently disregarded it. And the PS hoses were definitely deteriorating and ready to pop once the PS pump was sealed.

What hit me harder than expected is the labor cost to replace the power steering hoses, PS pump (again) and radiator hoses. Holy frick. If I wasn't wheeling this weekend I think I would have picked it up and done it myself. Thankfully, they're cutting me some slack and slimming costs, but gonna have to hide this one from my wife for a while until I pay it back from my fun money... At least I'll be a little more likely to make it home from the trail.
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

TUDrewser wrote:Just heard from the mechanic. The brand new (rebuilt) power steering pump appears to be leaking. Awesome. Also, my lower radiator hose is bulging, so time for new hoses before the weekend trip. I do remember thinking that the lower hose looked funny when I was under it looking for the power steering leak but I conveniently disregarded it. And the PS hoses were definitely deteriorating and ready to pop once the PS pump was sealed.

What hit me harder than expected is the labor cost to replace the power steering hoses, PS pump (again) and radiator hoses. Holy frick. If I wasn't wheeling this weekend I think I would have picked it up and done it myself. Thankfully, they're cutting me some slack and slimming costs, but gonna have to hide this one from my wife for a while until I pay it back from my fun money... At least I'll be a little more likely to make it home from the trail.
Yup sticker shock once they have you in there. I keep an old hose somewhere, I think I went through two or three before I finally got one that didn't. Now my freaking steering box leaks.... cant stop them all. At least I have an indicator of fluid in my system.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)