Has anybody redone an early style headliner?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Has anybody redone an early style headliner?

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

My now style headliner was trashed when I bought the truck 4 years ago and has been getting progressively worse. The rate of failure has accelerated greatly this last moth or three and I have hit my breaking point. Time to address some interior crap (as has been evidenced by my threads on carpet).

Has anybody had one redone by an upholstery shop? I need to know what rough costs would be.

I got a quote and while I can sorta understand the price (apprently he exhausted his resources trying to find a headliner for this thing) it was still a few hundred bucks more than I expected. I figured maybe like $300 or so but I have no idea in reality. Needless to say it was a lot more than $300.

Can Anybody give some insight to this?
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Re: Has anybody redone an early style headliner?

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

I'll take that as a no lol
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Seems I've seen a link, prolly on IFSJA, to a site that had the old style of liner. I wondered about using it on the later models.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Escondido

Post by Escondido »

I have a '78 waggy, with headliner going in now. Cost quoted is around 400.
'78 Wagoneer
86 CJ7 - 6 Cylinder
86 CJ7 - 4 Cylinder

HOOT

Post by HOOT »

Isn't there a guy that makes them ... S&M Headliners or something like that...
1980 and 81 J20 melding into a 1980 Utility bed J20. Project cancelled and for sale, found a factory truck.
1980 J20 Utility truck. Replaced above project.
1977 Honcho getting turned into a 1977 J20 Gladoncho.
IFSJA Member #4662 Joined March 28, 2003

We're on a road to nowhere.....

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

Old style bow headliners are a pita.
I converted mine to new style and never regretted it once.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Jeeptchr

Post by Jeeptchr »

I have one of the SMS headliners, honestly I haven't even unboxed it yet, but it seems to be great quality, I think it was 330 or so shipped. What is different between the retaining rails on the early box style and later cardboard style?

rstep

Post by rstep »

If it's a bow style ,I ordered a head liner from these guys Automotive Interiors ,and Accessories , Inc. It was around 180.00 shipped.
1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5620

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

That's it! Couldn't find the link. http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/Read ... liners.htm

Howzit fit. Got pics?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

kyamcalvert

Post by kyamcalvert »

Dude...that is expensive. Get some really good spray adhesive, some 1/4 inch foam, and your choice of material and do it yourself. Just go slow and be careful. The fabric stores in my neck of the woods charge like 6.99/yd for felt. No way I'd spend more than 50 bucks doing a headliner...

rherndon

Post by rherndon »

I just started this process on my 76 wagoneer. You should be able to get foam backed vinyl, adhesive and sound dampener from auto interiors for about $100. Question is: how is your board? Below is a pic of my front board section and my roof. If your board is severely damaged/unusable, then maybe I could take detailed dimensions. You can purchase sheets of 1/8" ABS Plastic and cut to fit.

I have my interior fully disassembled but am waiting to reinstall after body and engine work, unless I get very impatient and want to see progress sooner.

'76 Wagoneer w/401; Restoration in progress

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

Two things:

Early style bow headliners can be expensive to replace, but if you can remove the headliner while keeping each of the panels intact and together (more or less) the upholstery shop won't have to nearly as much work to reproduce the size and shape of the individual panels. So depending on the shop it can add up to a considerable savings.

Bow headliners are only hard to do if you've never done one before, the installation process is fairly easy, it just takes time to be sure everything is wrinkle free. In fact if you have access to a sewing machine, and have your original panels, you can make your own pretty darn easily, and save yourself a ton o' money. If you convert to a board headliner you'll have the fabric in your face in a few years after the glue fails from the LV heat.
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

FSJunkie

Post by FSJunkie »

haminawag wrote:Two things:

Early style bow headliners can be expensive to replace, but if you can remove the headliner while keeping each of the panels intact and together (more or less) the upholstery shop won't have to nearly as much work to reproduce the size and shape of the individual panels. So depending on the shop it can add up to a considerable savings.

Bow headliners are only hard to do if you've never done one before, the installation process is fairly easy, it just takes time to be sure everything is wrinkle free. In fact if you have access to a sewing machine, and have your original panels, you can make your own pretty darn easily, and save yourself a ton o' money. If you convert to a board headliner you'll have the fabric in your face in a few years after the glue fails from the LV heat.
Yup.

The early headliner is just a few panels of vinyl sewed together with some loops on the back for supporting bows to attach to and those bows are tensioned in place to keep the fabric taut. Not hard to replace.

I'd do it myself with a sewing machine and a few yards of vinyl bought at Jo-Ann's.
1972 Wagoneer: 360 2V, THM-400, D20, D30 closed knuckle, D44 Trac-lok 3.31.
1965 Rambler Ambassador: 327 4V, BW M-10 auto, AMC 20 3.15.
1973 AMC Ambassador: 360 4V, TC-727.
1966 AMC Marlin 327 4V, T-10 4 speed, AMC 20 Powr-lok 3.54.

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

FSJunkie wrote:
haminawag wrote:Two things:

Yup.

The early headliner is just a few panels of vinyl sewed together with some loops on the back for supporting bows to attach to and those bows are tensioned in place to keep the fabric taut. Not hard
to replace.

I'd do it myself with a sewing machine and a few yards of vinyl bought at Jo-Ann's.

That's right, just don't choose a material that's so heavy that it'll put a strain on your sewing machine, also don't choose a material that'll turn to dust after a few seasons in the heat.
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4