Pulling one apart

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
racerx12003r1

Pulling one apart

Post by racerx12003r1 »

Hey guys. I hope someo of you can give me a little sugestions here. Im getting ready to start my engine swap and sence this question seems so general, I figure this is where it should be posted. May be wrong, but I have been before.

I guess I need sugestions for removing the front clip. Should I take it apart in component pieces or as a complete assembly? I have some rusted out spots in the fenders I was thinking aobut fixing while the weather co operates. Thanks for any input.
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)

Gumby

Re: Pulling one apart

Post by Gumby »

If you have a n extra set of hands, do it as one. Then deal with the rust as needed.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

I have pulled the front clip as one alone before, but it was not pretty and left new scratches. 2 people can easily do it. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

We just took off my whole front clip.

I personally think it is easier that way, because you don't have to try to get a wrench on the nuts underneath the bolts. Besides, there are a ton of bolts that hold all the sheet metal together.
After it is off, it is much simpler for one person to handle taking apart the sheet metal.

Take the front bumper first, then proceed to take off the front clip. Two people can negotiate it off the frame then. Don't force anything, use finess. Whilst breaking it free.
If God is your co-pilot, you need to switch seats!

Topic author
racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

Thanks for getting me this info so quickly guys. its alittle after 12 here and I'm expecting my nephew within the hour. maybe between us we can slip it off. I build road tractor engines and have to remove the front clip on them, but thats a pie job. A pallet, a forklift, and wrenches and i have it off in about 15 minutes. Guess I'll go ahead and soak everything with some PB Blaster and hope for the best.
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

You have to remove the front bumper first. It looks like it will come off, but it can't!
Check my parts for sale near Seattle