Fuel filler hose

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Louiseven

Fuel filler hose

Post by Louiseven »

So yesterday I noticed while pumping gas a rapid puddle of fuel dripping from beneath my Jeep. Quick look and the one of the fuel filler hoses is was quite wet after adding only 10gallons of 91 there was a small puddle the size of a coffee saucer.

I immediately checked BJ's and they have them for $75.00 plus $12.00 for clamps. Then there is of course shipping. Not bad but I need my Jeep this weekend. Team Grand Wagoneer has the hoses for $45.00 not sure what's different between the two. However, after a search here on the forum I found I may be able to find some universal 1" fuel hose. I am reluctantly going to try this route out of pure necessity. I'd rather have the molded OEM style hose. I just have a feeling it will be less a pain in the butt! I found some at O'Reillys for $21.99 per foot at 1" diameter.

Question is should I try the universal fit hose? Is it safe for a t least week until I can order from BJ's ? Please thoughts, ideas, suggestions.
I really want to have my Waggy for Independance day!!!

jaber
Vendor

Re: Fuel filler hose

Post by jaber »

As long as Oreillys hose is fuel safe, the you are fine. I would even hold off on the fitted hoses until I was sure the bulk dont work. :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
Louiseven

Post by Louiseven »

Oh well there goes my dream of having a running GW on the 4th of July!

Apparently O'Reilly's does not know heater Jose from fuel hose.
According to the website they have fuel hose by Gates in various sizes. Traveled to two different stores. Tried NAPA of which actually tried to help. However, it would be a special order just for universal fit fuel hose at $90.00 each!!!
I live fairly close to an industrial area in Glendale. There I tried a hose specialty place called Hoseline. He could order also but that would be Monday. Again universal fit and again $90.00 for 3ft!!
So my Jeep is grounded until my BJ's order arrives!

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Mcmastercarr.com?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Louiseven wrote: I live fairly close to an industrial area in Glendale.
Glendale, Az.?

I'm just up the hill from you. Up here we have a mom & pop parts house (Yavapai Fleet) that caters to the heavy equipment Co's. Thats where I got my last chunk. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

You need the specific hose that BJ's sells. The gas tank end is a DIFFERENT size than the fuel filler end. No, I don't know why..... But they are.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
Louiseven

Post by Louiseven »

jaber wrote:
Louiseven wrote: I live fairly close to an industrial area in Glendale.
Glendale, Az.?

I'm just up the hill from you. Up here we have a mom & pop parts house (Yavapai Fleet) that caters to the heavy equipment Co's. Thats where I got my last chunk. ;)
I should have been more correct. I am in Los Angeles close to Glendale in LA county.

Topic author
Louiseven

Post by Louiseven »

FSJ Guy wrote:You need the specific hose that BJ's sells. The gas tank end is a DIFFERENT size than the fuel filler end. No, I don't know why..... But they are.
Exactly, that's what I ended up doing. Ordered two from BJ's. Thanks all.

Now my worry is removing them. When I put my jeep back on the road last year. I had a local shop working on it to get pass the smog. It did not pass the evap test and they were supposed to change all of the hoses. Well they did not. What they was change a couple of those smaller hoses. I believe they run to the canister. They put extra clamps on the the filler hoses. One of the clamps is on where the screw head is away point towards floor of the Jeep rather than the street. Also nice and rusted. I sprayed with rust penetrating solution. Hoping they come out of there.

Topic author
Louiseven

Post by Louiseven »

In summation: The BJ's hoses fit perfectly!!! As always customer service was great!

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

Agreed. I wasted a bunch of money and time trying to get universal hose to work before BJs had the correct fit molded hose available.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power