Beat the heat

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Re: Beat the heat

Post by 243 »

A few options that I did not see above:

Tinted windows really cut the heat, especially in a fish bowl Waggie but they will help in a Cherokee too, it does not need to be dark tint either.

Also, a full length roof rack could be used as a shading device and useful to have for some people.

And last, a swamp cooler would help if you live in a dry climate, but they would probably cost as much as repairing the AC.

1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

Topic author
Wagonator

Post by Wagonator »

Tinted windows are on the list so cheaper things to do. Who could resist having a small cannon on the side of the car?!
1980 Wagoneer rolling chassis

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Just chop the top and pull the doors off. It will never be hot inside again, because there will no longer be any 'inside' to get hot :)

Tinting the Windows does help a lot though.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Wagonator

Post by Wagonator »

Still looking for those safari doors. Since no one makes them I have been looking into a tubing bender and a welder so I can make my own. I tell you what, that Henry Dura-brite coating is amazing. SO much nicer to sit in the sun now.

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

Wagonator wrote:UPDATE

So I sent an email to the Henry company to see if their product would apply better to bare metal or paint and after arguing with the guy about the proper use of the product I went right over the paint. TURNED OUT GREAT! I was in Phoenix today and though I couldn't tell you how hot it was, the cab was amazingly cooler. As you all know, we drive large tin cans and they heat up really quick, but now the Wagonator stays at least 20 degrees cooler inside (but I still have no AC). At the end of todays journey, in which I scored two cans of R12 for $30 each, I ran into a much more complicated problem, but that is a discussion for another thread.
Good to hear it works. Im going to try it on mine. I plan to spend a lot of time in the desert. Thanks for the update!
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

strvger

Post by strvger »

pics of the coated roof?
jeep'n in the land of 2 seasons... winter and getting ready for winter.
1966 cj5a, 134 f-head, safari windscreen, 3 on-the-tree, saturn od, 4.27's with a detroit locker in back, soon getting a 151 'iron duke'
1966 wagoneer, 327 vigilante (2bbl), 3 on-the-tree, 3.73's, looking for a detroit locker for it.

hardtoplz

Post by hardtoplz »

strvger wrote:pics of the coated roof?
post up the pic

FSJunkie

Post by FSJunkie »

That sounds like a really good way to blind planes flying above you.
1972 Wagoneer: 360 2V, THM-400, D20, D30 closed knuckle, D44 Trac-lok 3.31.
1965 Rambler Ambassador: 327 4V, BW M-10 auto, AMC 20 3.15.
1973 AMC Ambassador: 360 4V, TC-727.
1966 AMC Marlin 327 4V, T-10 4 speed, AMC 20 Powr-lok 3.54.

Locked and Loaded

Post by Locked and Loaded »

Next you should have your windows tinted. I don't mean the tint that 99 present of people use. You need tint that blocks out the heat. But its not cheap. To do my Jtruck it cost me $500.00 for eight windows. It works great. If you are ever in the Glendale area come by and check it out.
Drink more Water

Topic author
Wagonator

Post by Wagonator »

Pictures are coming, I've just been busting my ass to get my transfer case swapped out. As soon as I get a chance to relax for a minute I will take some and post em. By the way, can anyone walk me through recharging the AC? I found a recharge hose at Autozone and I cant wait to get some cold air finally.

Locked and Loaded

Post by Locked and Loaded »

Wagonator wrote:Pictures are coming, I've just been busting my ass to get my transfer case swapped out. As soon as I get a chance to relax for a minute I will take some and post em. By the way, can anyone walk me through recharging the AC? I found a recharge hose at Autozone and I cant wait to get some cold air finally.
First you need to vacuum it down to check for leaks and get any water out of the system. Otherwise you might just be wasting refrigerant.
Drink more Water

Topic author
Wagonator

Post by Wagonator »

You can always get under the Jeep with a handful of clean rags and a good flashlight, and see if you can at least find out where the leak is. That'll get you started.
There is already some in the system, just not enough to blow snowballs in the cab. The PO gave me a couple cans when I bought it and told me it needed a recharge, however, the cans decided to leak out and were empty by the time I got around to it.

Topic author
Wagonator

Post by Wagonator »

I retract pervious statement. I just dropped her off at the local Tire Factory and they are going to put a vac on the system and make sure everything is honky dory. You were right, R12 is like gold and I don't want to be wasting a drop of it.

Topic author
Wagonator

Post by Wagonator »

Here is a picture of the roof. I only put on two coats, but I plan on doing at least one more.

I didn't have any tape to cover the gutters or the windshield trim so I did what I always do and made a mess.

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

How did you apply the Henrys? and how does the finish look? (hard to tell from the photo) Did the brush/roller marks flatten out and it justs looks like flat white paint, or is it obvious you painted the roof with roofing material? Thx!
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

Topic author
Wagonator

Post by Wagonator »

RamJetFSJ wrote:How did you apply the Henrys? and how does the finish look? (hard to tell from the photo) Did the brush/roller marks flatten out and it justs looks like flat white paint, or is it obvious you painted the roof with roofing material? Thx!
I used a foam roller and it came out looking like a roof coating. I used a brush on some other projects and it came out much smoother, but it would have taken exponentially more time to apply on the waggy. I only put two coats on so some spots look a bit thin from up close so I would suggest at least three. I would use an entire gallon if I were you (2 coats for me was half a gallon) and if you have the time use a brush. The Henrys has the consistency on sour cream so it doesn't self level or even out. The brush will still leave stroke lines, the roller leave a texture that reminds me of that rubberized floor spray used on heavy equipment to give you some grip while walking. I personally don't care what it looks like, I am driven more by the functionality/practicality more than aesthetics. Having said that, when I go to finish the job and use the other half of the can, I will use a brush.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Does it have a reflective appearance like a road sign or safety vest or is it just white?

I wonder if it would be less effective if painted. More than any color is less reflective than white if that makes any sense.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Wagonator

Post by Wagonator »

SJTD wrote:Does it have a reflective appearance like a road sign or safety vest or is it just white?

I wonder if it would be less effective if painted. More than any color is less reflective than white if that makes any sense.
Its not reflective at all like you are describing. However, it is SUPER white, like blindingly so. The great thing about the Henrys is that when the rest of your Jeep is blazing hot to the touch, you can put your hand on the roof and hold it. It was 109 the other day and I was hardly able to grab the handle to open the door, but my roof was only slightly warm. A white paint would help a lot, but the coating will reflect more of the sun than just paint. At $26/gallon it's not a huge expense, not to mention down where I'm at a gallon of paint is almost the same price.