Lumpskie's Swap Questions Thread!

For everything related to converting and up keeping diesel engines in an FSJ

racerx12003r1

Re: Lumpskie's Swap Questions Thread!

Post by racerx12003r1 »

Well Lumpskie, I can say myself that I like both a diesel or a gas burner. I work on diesels all day and love doing it. That being said, I love the sound of a good, hot v8. The vortec engines have come along way in my opinion. There are several guys in CFSJC here in NC that have done or are in the process of doing this swap. I my self am getting ready to do a swap on my I-6 J10. Going to flip a coin to see which way I go after the ECI this weekend. Heads= big block 427 Tails=small block. If its tails, I flip again. Heads=350 Tails=5.3 vortec. I'm going to be making everything from the motor mounts to the headers. I already have my bellhousing fabbed up so I can run my original T176 transmission. I'm figuring the headers can be made as fender exit units with purple hornies. Here's my bell housing as I have it so far. Its a Lakewood for a Chevy and this is where I modded it to fit the trans.
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)

Eugene 1

Post by Eugene 1 »

Whatever you decide to swap try to go in with a plan and get most of the donor vehicle you can to help with the swap just my 2 cents :-bd

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Thanks for the words of advice, you guys. I'm still torn between the ease of swap and manners of a vortec vs the raw utilitarian nature of the diesel and the diesel mpg.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

Do what I did Lumpski. Flip a coin. I had to flip 2 times. One time to decide between a big and small block. The small block won out. Then it was between a vortec 5.3 or a 350. Looks like I'll be going old school for now. :-bd
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)