79 J-10 Twister revamp

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
MarshallTheFox

79 J-10 Twister revamp

Post by MarshallTheFox »

Guess I should stop posting a build thread in the show and tell section :roll:

( Heres the beginning of it http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =15&t=4563 )

Well... as of a few days ago I got the rest of the interior out minus the wires and a few small things. Took the glass out as well(f#@&ing seals were a PAIN). aaaaaaaaaaaand... well the only good part of the floor is the transmission tunnel. The rest is pretty much rusted out trash. I was hoping it would stop just under the seats but that hope crashed and burned. OH WELL.

Worst rust spot in the windshield was here, the rest is pretty clean

As for the bed, I took a hammer and a nail and tested all over, its going to need the entire floor replaced along with down where the seam is on the bedsides. Right now im not sure if it would be easier to just buy BJs panels and repair it or try to find a bed around here in good condition. Need to get the concept art for it done... mabye if I would stop procrastinating...

Also, anyone got a good condition chrome muscle grille they would let go of? got more questions but I'll ask those in the appropriate sections.
Last edited by MarshallTheFox on Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1997 Dodge Dakota - Current daily driver
1979 Jeep J10 - Under restoration
1979 GMC Sierra Classic - Awaiting restoration

Tad
Vendor

Re: 79 J-10 "Twister revamp"

Post by Tad »

Not sure on the bed panels but check with jsinajeep here.
He was removing a very decent late 70's chero floor that should cover most of your cab area.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Topic author
MarshallTheFox

Post by MarshallTheFox »

Well I just got over a super cold that left me with no voice for about a week and now its all over with so I got back to the truck. FINALLY... its nice to be working on it again. Pulled the rest of the wires and crap out of the cab thankfully no rust on the firewall itself as I have enough to deal with everywhere else.

Everything on the underside is gone now as well except for the suspension, which I have a question about. Maybe you guys might be able to tell or maybe you wont but I know the previous owner said the second owner used the jeep to haul around tractors but do the leaf springs look stock? (aside from the helper springs) just wanting to know because (to me) it looks like it might be lifted a little bit...maybe Im just being stupid.

Also... are these SUPPOSED to be welded to the frame? its bolted at the bottom and has a strip of metal at the top thats welded to the frame. I ask because I dont understand why you would bolt it...then just weld it. I was going to remove them so the powdercoater could get them seperatley.... but if its supposed to be like that then I suppose I'll leave it that way.

Would have the engine put together but the machine shop that went through the engine for me is afraid of ANYTHING performance oriented and they dont want to drill out the holes for the bigger studs I have for my roller rockers. which is retarded, its a hole.... if your a machine shop and your afraid to drill a hole then I dont think you need to be doing machine shop work. So im left to try to find another shop that will, in the meantime im just stockpiling parts...

81Cherokee Laredo

Post by 81Cherokee Laredo »

Glad your felling better. The rear leafs look stock minus the overloads, front shackles definatly not stock. The frame horns are also stock, the little tab is suppose to be welded on.
81 Cherokee Laredo 360/727/219 - SOA/SF Inwk - 4.56 D44/AMC20 35 Cooper's - J20 Steering Box
83 Cherokee W/T - Katy - Long term project
89 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/229 - 31 X 10.50

Topic author
MarshallTheFox

Post by MarshallTheFox »

huh, ok guess i'll just put the bolts back on then and just leave it be! Engine will be going together shortly...cant wait to put it together.

Topic author
MarshallTheFox

Post by MarshallTheFox »

Alright, with the motor going together on monday I need to start moving on with the other drivetrain details.

Topic author
MarshallTheFox

Post by MarshallTheFox »

I LIED.

Engine has yet to go together, having to wait on the service manual and harmonic balancer to arrive. BUT I painted the engine and did some running around today after changing the oil in the Dakota and finally went to harbor freight and got some blasting material for the sandblaster I got back in December. Thing works great, don't have a respirator yet so I only did a quick little 3 second blasting and cheesus it works pretty dang well.

Waiting for my dad to get some time to help me go get a 727 out of a wagoneer that showed up just a few days ago in the junk yard. Still looking for a transfer case.... NO ONE IS SELLING ANY AROUND HERE CONFLABBIT. Its getting so close to the point of things to stop coming apart and for things to start going back together....once I hit that phase I will be so happy.

TitaniaDieKrieger

Post by TitaniaDieKrieger »

If you haven't done already. Check out C2Cfabrication.com I got my floor panals from them and they are great. Great price too. I got them instead of Bjs because bjs looked to be a bit more expensive. They ship pretty quick to. Detriot to AZ in a week on basic shipping
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Topic author
MarshallTheFox

Post by MarshallTheFox »

Havent updated this in a while but the trucks just a frame now, hopefully get it off to powder coating tomorrow and have it back within a week. Originally was going to powder coat it then I tried to cheap out and just use POR15 paint... then I started getting paranoid that it would just flake off and make the rust problem just come back so I went back to powder coat. While the frame is getting its whole treatment I'll be finishing up the last touches on the engine and looking for a 727 and a WT driver side drop dana 44. When I get the frame back the whole 4" lift kit is ready to go, so that will all be going on and I'll finally be making some progress once again.

PICTURRZZZ

Also have a question, is there anything special i'll have to do since I'm going to be putting a drivers drop front axle instead of the passenger drop?

Atla

Post by Atla »

Hmm, that's about half the cost of BJs for Floor Pans. Good find!
~Atla. (I'm just here for the pictures)
1983 J-10
2001 TJ

My Build Thread - http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2722

Topic author
MarshallTheFox

Post by MarshallTheFox »

when I picked the frame up from powder coat I had a shiny penny moment... looks very nice. A lot better than the rust/dirt/silver/red/black color scheme it had going on before....

axles and wheels are the next items on the list and I'd like to ask if anyone could help me figure out exactly what wheel is on this truck. Best I can tell its an outlaw II but I'd like to see if anyone on here could eyeball a backspacing measurement on it.
Unless someone just outright knows that the wheels are.... in which case... well that would just be dandy.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Nice frame! :-bd

Those wheels are steel and pretty sure they are 15x10. I thought the Outlaw II wheels were all aluminum like these:
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Yes, Outlaws are AL. The ones on the twister truck are steel. I have a set here, and just sold a set to a buddy. Will try to get an exact back space measurement for you... :)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
MarshallTheFox

Post by MarshallTheFox »

I like how they are set in deep it gives it a nice look. And that would be great jaber

Topic author
MarshallTheFox

Post by MarshallTheFox »

Ok I'm pretty sure it will but I just want to verify here. Would a T-18a from a 6 cylinder j10 bolt right on and go to a 360 engine? If so then I will be going to get some stuff from the truck at the pick and pull asap.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

MarshallTheFox wrote:Ok I'm pretty sure it will but I just want to verify here. Would a T-18a from a 6 cylinder j10 bolt right on and go to a 360 engine? If so then I will be going to get some stuff from the truck at the pick and pull asap.
Hey Marshall, my apologies for not getting the measurement for you, just been busy...

The T18 behind the 360 had a long spacer between the trans and bell that pushed the shifter out from under the dash. Yes you could make it work, but dont think you want to butcher your Jeep to make it fit. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
MarshallTheFox

Post by MarshallTheFox »

It was actually nice out today so I was finally able to get to do something to the truck today! Figured i'd open the QT case and take a look at what I have. Its been so long since I took the engine out that I forgot that it looked like it had been rode hard and thrown in the damp dirty corner, and I wasn't expecting to see what I did. I was greeted with the following sights.

The brown crap is just a thick slime and in the second picture thats just metal shavings and theres far more still there. I dont think I even want to see the cone gears and the chain has just shy of 2" of slack. I'm surprised the case is actually still intact and I'm super happy I wasnt able to start this thing up when I first got it there probably would have been a few.... noises. I'm sad now BUT since I havent bought anything for it over this winter I've got a good 3.5k to immediately spend on it. TIME TO GET BACK TO IT!

fulsizjeep

Re: 79 J-10 Twister revamp

Post by fulsizjeep »

That is the classic look of a very neglected QT. The fluid gels like that after 20 something years. You can bet the diff is full of fine metal particulate.

:shock: Wait a sec... WTH is the shift collar doing in that sprocket bearing?
Flint Boardman

Topic author
MarshallTheFox

Post by MarshallTheFox »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

somebody didnt know what they were doing?

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I guess if it all fits back inside, it should be good to go. :banghead:
Flint Boardman