What to bring to Ouray 2014

For all discussions related to the annual FSJ invasion of Ouray

Moderators: shimniok, srobertsfsj

Topic author
Dmntxn77

What to bring to Ouray 2014

Post by Dmntxn77 »

I've seen chatter about pot-lucks, cook-outs, BBQ, ect... Are there any solid plans for that? If not, we can use this thread to set stuff up if you want.

Also, I've never been, so how about some basic info on needs and available amenities? For example, do the sites have grills, and if so, would you cook on them. How about campfires? Should we all bring some wood and do we need to bring our own fire rings?

Other than coolers and camping chairs what are some other specific needs that you guys recommend?

Any more questions anyone has, or anything else to add?

fulsizjeep

Re: What to bring to Ouray 2014

Post by fulsizjeep »

Info on this page can help with prep:
http://www.cfsja.org/2002/prepare

No potluck plans at this point. Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't.

The KOA has fire pits at each site. Some of us cook on them, some don't. There is typically a fire ban in the San Juan Forest and surrounding Ouray area by the first week of July. Monsoons typically change all that by the 3rd week but don't count on having open fires until you get there and see what the deal is.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

will e

Post by will e »

Watch for me handing out cheese crisps, little ribs and maybe some pork tenderloin sliders. It's not unusual for folks to combine stuff they have here and there.

If the fire restrictions are in then no charcoal cooking fires allowed. The KOA kitchen has a good BBQ one night and not too bad food other nights. It can be a little pricey for what you get but it is easy and you don't have to drive.

Some folks stop in town on the way back from the trail and pick up something to eat. The 420 burger is killer. But don't ever suggest on the trail that we stop for one on the way in. It will almost insure either a planned road closure or a rock slide.

There is a nice coffee shop in town that has both a good breakfast sandwich as well as a several nice breakfast platters.

In silverton there are a couple of places you can pick up sandwiches to go. I don't remember any in Ouray.

Things like pot luck night seem to just happen when/if they happen. Heck you can plan one and then a flipp'n thunderstorm rolls in and plans change.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Oh, heck yeah. Then you can burn but everything could be in water. Good luck getting that started under a canopy. There is good social time each evening at site 47D depending on weather conditions. Bring a chair and your beverage. Sometimes there is a little agave going around or something. Then the tales of the day. :fsj:

Flint Boardman

Tin Medic

Post by Tin Medic »

Flotation devices if you want to hang with flint & Crista and make sure any dogs you might have can swim.
89 GW 360/727/208 (soon to be LQ9/727/208) MSD 8523 Pro Billet Distributor, MSD 8207 Blaster SS Coil, 30x9.5x15 Destination M/Ts, Warn Lock Out Hubs

"I don't always downshift, but when I do its next to a Prius so the driver can hear me hurt the environment."

Jeeps don't break down, they're just extremely demanding when they need parts replaced!

Jeep Owner

HOOT

Post by HOOT »

I would check on fire wood bans before packing a load in. Not sure how that all works out in CO but back here in the Midwest almost all transporting of firewood is banned in State parks.

Some of the sites also have stand up grills plus fire rings. I had both last year plus a brief swimming hole. The picnic tables are past their prime but function somewhat. I've never had one in decent shape yet in 4 visits now. I would suggest bringing your own table and chairs as if they were not furnished at KOA.

Check the KOA site out for eating options. They are closed one night.

There is no water or electric at the sites where the main group hangs out. There is a water spigot provided at the bend in the road.

The shower house is pretty decent for a campground and they keep it fairly clean at all times. Nice big roomy shower rooms with a commode and sink and large shower in private rooms.

There are a few food choices a few miles north of the campground and about anything you need about 25 miles north.
1980 and 81 J20 melding into a 1980 Utility bed J20. Project cancelled and for sale, found a factory truck.
1980 J20 Utility truck. Replaced above project.
1977 Honcho getting turned into a 1977 J20 Gladoncho.
IFSJA Member #4662 Joined March 28, 2003

We're on a road to nowhere.....

Topic author
Dmntxn77

Post by Dmntxn77 »

Ok guys... I'm getting the feel of it. Thanks!

So if I I were to bring a smoker, and there happens to be a fire ban on, am I correct in assuming that I would not be allowed to use the smoker? Or is the ban just for open fires?

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

As I recall, one year we could use our own covered grilles, charcoal and gas when there was a open fire ban. There are several folks bring gas grills and share some of the space with their FSJ neighbors. That is always fun. It all depends on the severity of the fire season Robert. It is sadly looking like this area is lined up for some wildfires this summer. We are so behind in precipitation this year. The driest I have seen in 13 years. If monsoons come early in July, we could be set to have open fires for the Invasion. I usually start posting info about trail openings and fire severity in May and June. The best links for info have been changing this year so it may be into April before I start to get lined up for more frequent info posts. There has also been some chatter about a raffle again this year.

:fsj:
Flint Boardman

Topic author
Dmntxn77

Post by Dmntxn77 »

Sounds as dry there as it's been here. I guess we will just have to wait and see as the summer nears.

What kind of stuff do you guys usually raffle? Vendor stuff I assume?

There is a guy here in Amarillo who was a member on ifsja YEARS ago, back in the River Beast days. I can't remember his forum name. I think boogymonster... Anyway, he owns a side fabrication business and he buids bumpers and stuff. I can check with him, if you guys want, to see if he can build something for us. He probably can't do anything for free, but his prices are so good I bet we can put something together worth buying a ticket for. No promises of course.

Here is the bumper he made for my ZJ.

Image[/URL]

Topic author
Dmntxn77

Post by Dmntxn77 »

To clarify, I understand that things are probably usually donated for the raffle and the proceeds probably go to a good cause. Animal rescue right?

Point is, if people are interested, I can TRY to aquire a really cool item that we will have to pay for with raffle tickets. There may or may not be money left over for donation. Just saying that I can try. Maybe a bumper or roof rack or something.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

If you don't mind, ask him what he might build or provide for the raffle. So far, we have had pretty good variety of items donated over the years. One year a case of K&N oil filters were donated, another BJs tossed up a bumper, Tad puts up some fab booty, Hell Creek has been there for lift springs, a set of BFG tires one year, another year BJs sent a case of tshirts that we just handed out all week. It varies.

All proceeds from Tshirt sales and Raffle go to Ouray Mountain Rescue.
http://www.ouraymountainrescue.com

I hope we never have to call them for help but real happy they are there.
Flint Boardman

Topic author
Dmntxn77

Post by Dmntxn77 »

Ok, I will talk to him.

That's kinda funny, I remembered that the money went to something, rescue.. Don't know why I was thinking animal. Lol

will e

Post by will e »

I won two certificates for BJ's last year.

I will buy more tickets this year for donated stuff. If I remember correctly there was some trading after the raffle (I didn't give anyone my certificates)

If some cool item showed up for a seperate raffle i might consider it but I mostly do it to help with the rescue thing...

I never thought about it but I think for the normal raffle the value of the stuff is more than the money collected.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

will e

Post by will e »

Actually I thought about it some more and I don't think I would buy tickets for a raffle where the money goes to the person who supplies the prize.

Topic author
Dmntxn77

Post by Dmntxn77 »

I hear ya...

I put the bug in his ear, he is checking his schedule, talking to his wife, and will see what he can do.

This guy is not a big business owner or hot shot in anyway. He is just a guy who fabs good stuff in the evenings and on weekends and only charges enough to buy/trade parts for his own projects.

IF he made something cool, I would like to be able to reimburse him for materials cost, any extra money would be donated. Free time is what it is, but I don't know if he can afford to be out of pocket or not. He will tell me soon.

The plan as of now, is he will let me know "ASAP" if he can build something and if so, what, and if he will need any material costs back for it. At that point, I will come here, spread the word, and gauge the interest.

will e

Post by will e »

Seems like it could leave you in an uncomfortable position. Let's say he puts $200 of material into something cool. You would need to get at least $200 of tickets to cover the cost. If you only get $100 do you stop the raffle and return the money? What if you only sell, like, 5 tickets? Keep in mind that it would have to be something someone wants, would fit on their rig and that they have the extra money for a raffle ticket. Many folks at Ouray run on a shoe string budget.

But if you guys can come up with something and make it work, more power to ya. :fsj:

Topic author
Dmntxn77

Post by Dmntxn77 »

That's why I would guage interest here for what he says he would make before he made it. And no, once it's made, it's made, you can't stop a raffle. It would take one amazing item to total $200 in material costs anyway. Chances are, it would cost much less, my bumper probably has under $100 in material in it. So if he actually builds something that he needed reimbursement for, which would only be after people expressed interest in that specific item. Then, half of them backed out and decided they didn't want a ticket. Well, it is what it is, I can't control it, I'm just trying to do something good. Honestly if it was something cool/useful enough, in may buy the required amount of tickets to fill the shortfall, maybe.

Who knows anyway at this point. I'm still waiting to hear back to find out if he can/will build something, and IF he needs any money for it. He could just say no.

Also, whatever it is, the only FSJ I have here for him to use as a jig is an 84 parts waggy.

rstep

Post by rstep »

Robert let me know the answer on the ,if he can or not build something. last year we started in March getting the word out and finding donations , looking at doing the same this year if the interest is there.
1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5620

Topic author
Dmntxn77

Post by Dmntxn77 »

Will do... I kinda expected to know by now, but he drives, or does something with, trains so he is gone quote a big. He may be on a trip. I will let you guys know as soon as I know.