Bulldog on Sunday

FSJ Related Events in the Mountain Time Zone

Topic author
will e

Bulldog on Sunday

Post by will e »

Drew has graduated from beginner to trail leader! (They grow up so quickly don't they??) He is organizing a run with the AZVJC for Sunday to Bulldog Canyon. THe weather should be nice and the trail is pretty easy. Let him know if you want to tag along. I will be bringing my cheese crisps...

It's a bit of a haul for the Tucson guys for a short easy trail. Jerry, you might be interested.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthre ... n-on-12-22
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Tad
Vendor

Re: Bulldog on Sunday

Post by Tad »

Unfortunately I am working both days this weekend.
If not I would just bring the Q and enjoy the drive.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

I won't be able to make this one. Pulled the tranny to fix the rear out put shaft bushing, it was sliding out and eating
up the governor gears. So while I had it down I deicide to rebuilt a D20 TC and put it in. :D

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Yeah, Drew isn't going to make it after all so I will probably drop out.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Take that back! ;-) I was able to do some rearranging, it's still on. Hope Mike's still coming!
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

TUDrewser wrote:Take that back! ;-) I was able to do some rearranging, it's still on. Hope Mike's still coming!
If you're there I am there.

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Getting a bigger turnout than I expected. ..9 jeeps so far, my neighbor will make 10. And that's with a crew doing the same run a day earlier.

Sent from Tapatalk

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Here's some pics :)

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Just the right amount of Jeep for a good run. Look like fun.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Looks like the weather was just about perfect. Thanks for sharing pix. :-bd 8-)
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Weather was perfect and the rain two days earlier meant zero dust. Was a prefect ride.

Sent from Tapatalk

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Yeah it was a great day. Drew did a great job as 'leader'. The temps were perfect! The wife went along and she actually had fun. The SOA/SF is less harsh than the 4" rusty was so I think that helped a lot. Next challenge will be to get her to drive. :fsj:

Not only did Drew lead, he recruited a new member to the local jeep club while on the trail. The guy is already posting up over there.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Look like a :-bd for the new LEADER. I think Drew is hooked :D

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

How did the atlas work out?

Looks like it was perfect weather.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Stuka wrote:How did the atlas work out?

Looks like it was perfect weather.
I am digging the Atlas so far. I ran most of this easy trail in 2:1 rear only. This is really a nice ratio for regular Arizona trails. With the auto I get enough torque muliplication for the regular graded hills. I messed around some going into/out of 4wd just kind of getting used to shifting it. I found I can shift out the front wheels in and out of 4lo at low speeds while in drive if the rear wheels are engaged. The extra planetary shifter needs to be shifted at a dead stop (no syncro's) and is actually easier to shift than the 2 speed main case.

I had some troubles going from rear lo to rear high. At slow speed, engine on, transmission in 'N' it just didn't want to slide into 4 high. I could pull the rear into low, the front into low but not 4 rear high. I finally pushed the front shifter more towards the 4 high side (but not engaged, you can't go 4 high front only) and then tried the rear and it slipped right in. I think the lock out might have been messing with me.

I read up and watched some video's about the Atlas and syncro gears today. I think I can picture in my mind how it works and that will help out on the trail. I still need to understand the syncro's a little more. I get the basics but couldn't draw a picture and explain it to someone else. I also understand after they wear a little the shifting is easier.

When I took apart the planetary gear to swap out the input shaft I was able to really grasp how it all worked. For me that is a big help when things are not working 'as expected'.