rear quarter panel protection

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
kswagoneer

Re: rear quarter panel protection

Post by kswagoneer »

Ive put 15000 miles on my jeep with the revolver shackles on and over 10 wheeling trips, Not 10 1500 mile wheeling trips good lord... That means 15000 miles of daily driving and wheeling.... sheesh
1989 Grandwagoneer amc 360 4in lift, 31's, revolver shackles, 10k superwinch, aussie locker, electric fan, holley red electric fuel pump, HEI ignition.

Topic author
kswagoneer

Post by kswagoneer »

When I get a chance to get some pics of how its mounted to the frame and how its also attached to my class 3 towing hitch I will. Im currently gone for the week/weekend with no jeep for work. I think Will e proved my point of concept. I understand the pictures may have been deceiving etc, I didn't post them on here to cause such a stir but when people immediately jump on the concept with out any knowledge of the construct it takes away from the encouragement of the point of posting on such a forum. I merely added them to maybe give some ideas and etc for other people to use in their own jeeps, to help protect our beloved Jeeps. This is suppose to be a community of sharing knowledge and builds, I wasn't seeking any advice on their effectiveness,(just because you have an opinion doesn't mean its worth noting.) Ive been fabricating and welding for 9 years all the way from bumpers to farm equipment to horse stalls. But just to prove point of concept I will get those photos that the disbelievers insist upon. Thank you
1989 Grandwagoneer amc 360 4in lift, 31's, revolver shackles, 10k superwinch, aussie locker, electric fan, holley red electric fuel pump, HEI ignition.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

To the OP;

Hey man - no harm, no foul. We were just trying to give ya constructive feedback.

Now let's see how those hold up in Moab, Cruces, etc. Lots of steep drop off ledges where those things are gonna take a beating. I'd love to see 'em actually take a hit. I'd also like to see some full sized pics of how they attach to the frame as those pics you supplied are so tiny it's hard to see.

But judging from your rig, you simply don't do that kind of 'wheeling. I'm guessing you are back east where there are little to no rocks, just mud, gravel, etc where yes, they will probably hold up.

I'll be in Moab April 21-27th and I'd love to see ya out there. Don't worry, my old Honcho (the truggy pictured above) will pull ya through the tough spots :fsj:

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I was going to pass on Moab next Spring Blake but now I am thinking otherwise. :idea:
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
kswagoneer

Post by kswagoneer »

Thank You blake and yes There is a small amount of rocks and ledges lots of hill climbs and ruts and ditches around here and the worst TREES. When it gets muddy and slick on the trails the likely hood of sliding sideways into a tree is very high! No this jeep is not a "rockcrawler" on 37's I would love to run the trails of moab or the rubicon in the next couple of years. This rig is my dd and I intend to keep in that way, Ive been very happy with the level of trails Im able to accomplish on 31's and front and rear lockers. I understand that my rig has its disadvantages with only 31's and a 4in lift. Im considering an upgrade to 33's but so far ive been able to keep up with brand new rubicons on 35in tires so I dont see the urgency of bumping up 2 more inches as of yet.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

fulsizjeep wrote:I was going to pass on Moab next Spring Blake but now I am thinking otherwise. :idea:
Heck ya man - this year is gonna be EPIC! I have a couple of buddies with built TJ's going, Jerry Cockran is taking his Cherokee as well. We are taking both the Honcho and the Lexus (with DOM rear body supports similar to the OP, but tied into the frame in SEVERAL places and have proven themselves hundreds of times). Planning to take the Lexus on a little mini-expedition around the entire perimeter of the Moab area. It will be some high-speed 'wheeling in a 7 passenger luxury 4x4 that was actually developed from the factory for expedition 'wheeling by Mr T. I highly recommend you go even if you just ride with us. It's gonna be awesome. :D

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

fulsizjeep wrote:I was going to pass on Moab next Spring Blake but now I am thinking otherwise. :idea:
Dam, I am never going to have that week off until I retire, it's March 17-21 this year.
We are going there in July but will be in the Q.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

will e

Post by will e »

Again, to be fair, your original pics and description were incomplete. I think folks were not trying to knock you as much as telling you it might not work out as well as you think. Your background isn't well known and the final build results not clear.

We all love these old rigs and want everyone to be happy with them.

Other folks not as skilled as you may have taken your idea 'at face value' and run with it without understanding the complete build.

Your response to the criticism would have been better received if you had avoided critiquing the respondents.

This thread did get me thinking and I went and took another look at my rig.

Guys... the rear SF mount hangs at/below the body panel. What do you think about welding a thick and basically flat plate to it and the rear bumper? Cut to match the body with just a slight stick out? Here in AZ it's the not trees that getcha, it's the drop offs...
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
kswagoneer

Post by kswagoneer »

Will e do you have a rear tow hitch? i welded and attached to it and typically when I come off a ledge I always just hit my rear tow hitch and then my rear bumper.

Topic author
kswagoneer

Post by kswagoneer »

The biggest issue is working around the rear leaf springs and shackles cause you need the slider fixed at the front behind the rear tire and towards the rear bumper

Topic author
kswagoneer

Post by kswagoneer »

heres a few ideas I worked designs off from.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
kswagoneer

Post by kswagoneer »

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/ ... ction.html

heres a link with a really cool build, granted none of these are full size jeeps hence me posting my mock up version, Im sure down the road after I wheel with it ill change it, add to it, whatever but just some pics to get the creative juices flowing! Keep in mind are wags even have a longer rear than all of these hence the need for more protection. that is if you care about sheet metal.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I think the best thing to do is cut them out (rear quarters) and then fab the guards up high and make it look nice. :?:

will e

Post by will e »

kswagoneer wrote:Will e do you have a rear tow hitch? i welded and attached to it and typically when I come off a ledge I always just hit my rear tow hitch and then my rear bumper.
Not the factory hitch, mine is integrated into the rear bumper. I did on my Wagoner and when we hit it wheeln we would all shout out "trailer hitch"...
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

68glad

Post by 68glad »

rocklaurence wrote:I think the best thing to do is cut them out (rear quarters) and then fab the guards up high and make it look nice. :?:
Ditto
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

rocklaurence wrote:I think the best thing to do is cut them out (rear quarters) and then fab the guards up high and make it look nice. :?:
If the rear quarter are not rusted or bent out of shape it would be hard for me to cut them up just for looks. Keep it like it is until something happen to them and then cut them up if you want to.