under belly clearance

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
kswagoneer

under belly clearance

Post by kswagoneer »

Hey guys so I have been doing some reading and researching and I have found something interesting. Now I'm not trying to compare apples and oranges etc. But has anyone noticed how low the brand new jeep jk's under belly's are? especially the 4 doors which are the most popular now for four wheeling for their wheelbase. Well I found out they sit at 10.5inches on 32in tires. Now I Know a stock wagoneer sits quite low but.... Right now my wag on 31's and a 4in lift my frame rails which are essentially the lowest part on our full sizes due to everything being tucked up in the frame rail which I think is pretty awesome Im sitting at 15in of ground clearance, not counting diffs. So in theory most jk's get a 2.5 to 3in susp. lift and run 35 to 37's that's a total of 4 to 5 in of lift that sets a jk on 35's or 37's with the same amount of belly clearance as my wagoneer on 31's just a little food for thought. Low center of gravity really nice underbelly clearance, Dare I say a full size jeep is the ultimate offroad vehicle platform. ;) Minus our awful approach and departure angles our wheel base is technically the ideal length for all around wheeling.
1989 Grandwagoneer amc 360 4in lift, 31's, revolver shackles, 10k superwinch, aussie locker, electric fan, holley red electric fuel pump, HEI ignition.

Topic author
kswagoneer

Re: under belly clearance

Post by kswagoneer »

Ps I love the jk platform they look amazing with there big fenderwell openings and the huge tires you can fit on them but.... Looks can be deceiving.
1989 Grandwagoneer amc 360 4in lift, 31's, revolver shackles, 10k superwinch, aussie locker, electric fan, holley red electric fuel pump, HEI ignition.

Blazer3664

Post by Blazer3664 »

I pushed the front axle forward, and am running my 203 upside down to keep the flat belly.
With the 37"s my approach angle is pretty good now, just need to do something about that big butt hanging out there now.

Can't wait to see how its going to do off road.

Needless to say I agree with you, I think our rigs surprise a lot of folks.

Jim
1978 Cherokee chief AKA = Butt Ugly
Current status = BACK under construction
modified body w/TJ flares
AMC 360, junkyard TBI, 4L80e
NWF doubler w/ upside down 203
SOA D60/14B-FF
custom shackle flip w/F150 springs
H1 wheels + (for now) tires
-----Coming Soon-----
snorkels, home brew OBA+OBW

will e

Post by will e »

The waggy with a 4" lift and 31" tires surprised a lot of folks. One advantage we have is the transfer cases are tucked up higher than the frame rails. It's one of the reasons the hump is so big inside. Toss on a locker and some sliders and you will amaze the guys with the newer jeeps.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

With those big overhangs front and rear, we need all the help we can get!
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

nester

Post by nester »

Doesn't matter how short it is, I still end up dragging the rear through something..

That said, I've got a JK, and let's just say I'm glad it's got skid plates, because I've put the frame on the ground once or twice, and I don't even really wheel the JK.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost