Door lock Spring question...

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
MT1

Door lock Spring question...

Post by MT1 »

My door lock knobs have had a hose clamp to prevent them from going down and locking on their own ever since I got the SJ some 3 years ago. Well I think its time to make them operational once again. I was told that there was a spring that held things together and that was most likely gone. In removing the door panel and inspecting the mechanism I see no springs anywhere or a place where a spring end could mount? Am I on the wrong track here and should I be looking for something else?
Change is Opportunity

HOOT

Re: Door lock Spring question...

Post by HOOT »

There are springs in there somewhere. Mike Schminock (sorry Mike can't remember how you spell it off hand) used to make them and maybe he still does. I know you can find him on the Motherboard. Maybe there are other sources also by now but I do know Mike used to sell them.
1980 and 81 J20 melding into a 1980 Utility bed J20. Project cancelled and for sale, found a factory truck.
1980 J20 Utility truck. Replaced above project.
1977 Honcho getting turned into a 1977 J20 Gladoncho.
IFSJA Member #4662 Joined March 28, 2003

We're on a road to nowhere.....

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

Thanks... Ive been looking and poking in there. I found a small hole that looked like it may have had something in it so I ran a short spring to the top of the mechanism and guess what, It works well. It doesn't look like it would but there is no doubt it is operating properly. Now on to the driver side. :D
Change is Opportunity

mathman

Post by mathman »

David
'78 J-10, J-20
'79 Cherokee
'50 Willys (not Willy's) 4WD Pickup
http://www.jeep-trucks.com