Tale of two jeeps and p.o.'d wife

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
TUDrewser

Tale of two jeeps and p.o.'d wife

Post by TUDrewser »

So, there's a lot of Jeep forums. After a big search, I've picked JeepForum and here as my choice for regular viewing/posting (though I read way more than I post). In an effort to introduce myself, I'm going to shamelessly re-post my story of the last 2 weeks and how I ended up with an FSJ. The story is worth a read because my wife was ready to kick me out of the house :)

Original story: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/tale ... e-1561194/
I've been a lurker for about 5 years [at JeepForum] with a dream of one day owning a jeep. My join date [for JeepForum] is back in 2007...and we've added 2 kids to our family since then, which made my dream of a CJ7 move further away. However, a month ago I talked my wife into a Grand Waggy ("It's for the FAMILY!"), IF we could find one that was in good condition and left some money (after selling our Pilot) to pay off some medical bills.

Our budget was around $4,500, so I knew I'd have to put a little work into it but started searching for that guy who needed to get rid of it or didn't know what it was worth. I'm no stranger to working on cars...have owned several VW's and a 66 GTO, but this would be my first Jeep! So, I started scouring CL and Ebay, calling on a few, but waiting for that perfect one to pop up.

Then about 2 weeks ago, I stumbled on a guy in Flagstaff selling an '88 for $800, no pictures. Said it ran and 4WD worked, so I emailed him asking for pictures. Pictures showed a rattle-canned FSJ but interior didn't look too bad, and he said he was sending it to the junkyard for $375 that week. I offered to give him the $375 and come pick it up and he accepted.

Grabbed my buddy and his trailer and made the 3 hour drive. I showed up and it was...rough. Leaked oil, but it DID run, and even had a new radiator. She was way more rough than I expected. No headliner, big tears in seats, no carpet in back, broken back window. Bad spray paint job, scratched and dented, caked in mud underneath...just a real piece.

But the car guy in me was thinking, for $375, the radiator and mag wheels alone could cover it. So I told the guy I'd take it and heard his wife mumble "thank gawd" as she went in to get the title. That should have been my hint as to how my wife would react.

Now, keep in mind, I had been showing my wife pictures of really nice waggys...WagoneerWorld type waggys, the kind that would be reliable and good for our family because I needed her on board with this dream. So you can imagine what happened when I left to go "Pick up our Grand Wagoneer" I showed up at home with this:

She was livid. I tried to explain what I got for the money and she wanted nothing to do with it. It was really my own fault for not discussing with her, but I was digging a hole fast and had to do something to recover. To be honest, once I saw it in person, I never thought that fixing up the Batmobile was an option...it was just fun to drive and worth more than I bought it for. But alas, it was not to be.

So I tinkered with it for a week under the assumption I was getting it ready to resell and I kept looking at CL. Four days after buying the bat, found a 1990 I loved but it was listed at $6,800. My wife agreed it was beautiful but out of our budget...until two days later the description said he would drop the price to $4,800. BINGO!

I called him to see if we could come see it only to find out that it wasn't in Scottsdale, AZ, like was posted...but rather was in Boise, ID. His friends told him he would get more for it in a bigger market...afterall, cars go for 10x their value at the big auctions in January! Nevertheless, we agreed on the price, he agreed to split shipping, I sent him my deposit, and set up the shipping company (being sure I didn't send the money until shipping company confirmed it was on their truck). It is now on its way to me:

Shipping was kind of a mess for a day, but I'll spare you that story. Oh, and I sold the Batmobile for $600 a day after I bought the new one, which basically covered gas, road trip meals, a few parts, and some cash to my buddy for helping me out.

While the new one is still in transit, I have high hopes for this being the welcome addition our family has been looking for...and another toy to get greasy and bloody with.
Like mentioned abouve, I'm no stranger to cars and car forums...my history includes several aircooled and diesel VW's and a '66 GTO. My ability lies somewhere between being able to change my own oil and replacing my own timing belt. My wife jokes that I'm not done working on the car unless I'm bleeding. Which to this day is pretty darn accurate.

Since my wife hesitates to let me work on our modern cars, it was time for something older and I look forward to many more stories.
Last edited by TUDrewser on Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

will e

Re: Tale of two jeeps and p.o.'d wife

Post by will e »

Wel ome from a fellow az mesa member.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Welcome and boy that is a funny story, I do a fair amount of CL surfing and saw the "bat mobile" I tried to test the wife and boy did I get a look. I think most of us here has a similar story, I know I do.

Hope to see you at the M&G around the state or Ouray in the summer.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

will e

Post by will e »

Hey Jerry, You better check that Kenny didn't sell that nice waggy of yours! :)
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Gumby wrote:Welcome and boy that is a funny story, I do a fair amount of CL surfing and saw the "bat mobile" I tried to test the wife and boy did I get a look. I think most of us here has a similar story, I know I do.

Hope to see you at the M&G around the state or Ouray in the summer.
That's funny that you saw it :) I actually got several calls on it and probably could have gotten more, but I bottom dollar'd it to unload it since I had a new one coming.

I would love to make it to some get togethers. Would love to go off-roading too, but I fully admit I know very little about it. I've gone, and have even driven a friend's jeep for a bit, but never had my own equipment. I hear about airing down for traction, and know you hit obstacles with the wheel instead of straddling them (from a news story about pink jeep tours LOL), but that there is the extent of my knowledge. Hoping I can find some folks that will train up the noob in the way he should go :oops:

Also, if anyone has input on how to prepare for towing a 3,000 lb camper, would love to hear it. I mentioned this in the other thread and stiffer springs were recommended, though that's about $200 a spring. Can I just upgrade the rear? BJ's also has a small airbag leveling system that seems like it might smooth out the tow: http://www.bjsoffroad.com/ProdList.asp?scat=133 Anyone used this? Really don't have a ton of money to upgrade more than "necessary".

We *ARE* looking at fuel injecting it for better "change in altitude" performance and little more power while towing, and second to a junk yard setup this seems like the best bang for buck considering it includes a spark timing with the dizzy and is cheaper than the Howell setup (and a LOT cheaper than Edelbrock's MPFI setup). http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.co ... r-1-7.html

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

To save some coin on the towing aspect... I would look into a set of monroe sensa Trac coil over shocks on the rear ( I have a set on a minivan been great for two cross country trips loaded). Do regular tune up, tranny flush, make sure the cooler lines are connected or install one, and make sure the brakes are good or possibly install a brake controller.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

will e wrote:Hey Jerry, You better check that Kenny didn't sell that nice waggy of yours! :)
Believe me, I looked at that a second time. Wrong grille and it got those funny light on the front and I don't
see the clear coat come off on the hood. :D Oh and it don't have those orange and black strip on the front
bumper. :D

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

jsinajeep wrote:
...I don't see the clear coat come off on the hood.
Well, actually...it sort of is ;)

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Welcome to the fray. Sometimes, making the wife angry is best part- I know I've been there a time, or two!

j20owner

Post by j20owner »

I like the batmobile. Should have kept it.
Tatsadasayago wrote:And here i thought Capitalism was hitting the Shift Key...

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

j20owner wrote:I like the batmobile. Should have kept it.
I agree. It was a blast to drive too. I thought it was stupid when I first saw it, but after driving it I "got" it. It made sense. :D

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Any vehicle bought running, for less than the cost of even most used vehicles, just makes sense, to me. Should have kept the Bat.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Welcome from up the hill... Image

Looks like you found a clean one. :-bd

I think the Bat would have looked awesome on 3/4 ton axles and a chop top / caged monster. :P
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

TUDrewser wrote:
jsinajeep wrote:
...I don't see the clear coat come off on the hood.
Well, actually...it sort of is ;)
The other brother 90 also

will e

Post by will e »

Word of warning TUDrewser... be careful around jerry if he has a tow dolly handy. :)

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

will e wrote:Word of warning TUDrewser... be careful around jerry if he has a tow dolly handy. :)
:D That not fair. I have a trailer and a tow dolly and setting up with the tow bar to see which I like best. :D

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

LOL :)

Brizio

Post by Brizio »

Welcome! :)

letank

Post by letank »

will e wrote:Hey Jerry, You better check that Kenny didn't sell that nice waggy of yours! :)
:funnypost:

Welcome to the asylum.... po'ed wife... arn't they all like that.... until you bring the little blue box with the jewelry.... man you failed... the obligatory gift.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Welcome to the madness of one more hole in your wallet. :D Very helpful folks here. 8-)
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac