Am I over thinking this or I'm not a framer

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
bigun

Am I over thinking this or I'm not a framer

Post by bigun »

Here goes! My mom has a 12 X 30 porch on the back of her double wide, and we want to add a roof with the idea of turning it into a 4 seasons room eventually. To this end I have drawn up plans that use 3 columns using triple 2X6s to support a beam made of triple 2x6s the in turn support 2x6 rafters on 24 inch centers from the house. It'll be sheathed with 3/4 plywood and covered for now with 15 weight tar paper covered with 30 weight mineral paper, eventually I'll finish it with metal like the rest of the house.
Then I look at other porches that are just as big but they use 4x4s for columns and 2x4s for rafters. So I ask am I over engineering this?

E_DIGG

Re: Am I over thinking this or I'm not a framer

Post by E_DIGG »

Yes you are going a little overboard. 4X4's and 2X4's will be just fine. Being in NM there won't be much of a load on the roof. No snow, hurricanes or tornadoes where you are right? Also is it going to be an A frame roof or more like a lean to? If lean to then put a 4X4 post every 6 feet. 12 feet a part might be to far apart.
1991 Grand Wagoneer
My 91 Phoenix Build Thread

Topic author
bigun

Post by bigun »

E_DIGG wrote:Yes you are going a little overboard. 4X4's and 2X4's will be just fine. Being in NM there won't be much of a load on the roof. No snow, hurricanes or tornadoes where you are right? Also is it going to be an A frame roof or more like a lean to? If lean to then put a 4X4 post every 6 feet. 12 feet a part might be to far apart.
Lean to one end to be supported by the eve of the house. We do get snow but it general melts in a day or 2

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Be careful youa ren't in one of those "controlled by the city" areas. They wanted $500 just for permits for steps for my mobile home AND they wanted an engineer certification of the design!
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
bigun

Post by bigun »

carnuck wrote:Be careful youa ren't in one of those "controlled by the city" areas. They wanted $500 just for permits for steps for my mobile home AND they wanted an engineer certification of the design!
LOL we live 4 miles from the nearest town in one of the largest poorest counties in the state. The county authoritarians spend all their time and money along I40 where all the people who commute to Alb. live. Plus the county officials know they are not welcome in the rural parts of the county. There are rumors that some of them have been told to butt out or get shot!

whsii

Post by whsii »

Hello Bigun,

I build.

I would suggest support posts at least every 8', or less. Double 2X6 would be fine, 4X4's would be fine. Double 2X4's would be fine. I however, would not put the double 2X6 flat ways in the wall. It is an issue as to the way the wood can and will warp.

In Kentucky, with the possible snow load, we would go with 2X8 rafters on 12' span, every 16". I personally would not build anything on 24" centers unless it was trusses.

Now I have to say, I over build, but we do have on occasion, 24" snows.

I would not, however go with a support post more than 8' supporting a beam. I also would put a support post on the 12' rafter span, doubling the rafter that rests upon the support.

Hope this helps...

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

You have seem my junk Charlie.
I would say, screw wood, build that out of steel.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

68glad

Post by 68glad »

I wouldn't go to all the hastle of nailing a bunch of 2x6's together. Looks sloppy. Use 4x4 posts w/ 4x6 beams and be done with it. Beams are not expensive. Prolly cost the same as 3 2x6's. Throw on some 45deg supports if you want to make it pretty and add a little support. 2x4 rafters are asking for sag over time.
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Topic author
bigun

Post by bigun »

Tad wrote:You have seem my junk Charlie.
I would say, screw wood, build that out of steel.
Unfortunately all material has to come from Home Depot, I am not the welder you are, plus the only welder I have is an old crackle box!

Topic author
bigun

Post by bigun »

whsii wrote:Hello Bigun,

I build.

I would suggest support posts at least every 8', or less. Double 2X6 would be fine, 4X4's would be fine. Double 2X4's would be fine. I however, would not put the double 2X6 flat ways in the wall. It is an issue as to the way the wood can and will warp.

In Kentucky, with the possible snow load, we would go with 2X8 rafters on 12' span, every 16". I personally would not build anything on 24" centers unless it was trusses.

Now I have to say, I over build, but we do have on occasion, 24" snows.

I would not, however go with a support post more than 8' supporting a beam. I also would put a support post on the 12' rafter span, doubling the rafter that rests upon the support.

Hope this helps...
I'm a hell of good electrician, but when it comes to wood I'm lost LOL.
Thanks I knew I was marginal on the 2x6s 12 feet long, the reason I chose the lengths was the need to have to transport materials from 50 miles away which was why I was building a beam out of triple 2x6s on edge. I'm working with a limited budget and time since I would like to get this dried in before winter, so I don't have to worry about mom slipping and falling on the ice.

GentleRF

Post by GentleRF »

bigun wrote:Here goes! My mom has a 12 X 30 porch on the back of her double wide, and we want to add a roof with the idea of turning it into a 4 seasons room eventually. To this end I have drawn up plans that use 3 columns using triple 2X6s to support a beam made of triple 2x6s the in turn support 2x6 rafters on 24 inch centers from the house. It'll be sheathed with 3/4 plywood and covered for now with 15 weight tar paper covered with 30 weight mineral paper, eventually I'll finish it with metal like the rest of the house.
Then I look at other porches that are just as big but they use 4x4s for columns and 2x4s for rafters. So I ask am I over engineering this?
One doesn't have to be a framer to understand some basic engineering. For one, I would put nailed pairs of 2x6's as columns every four feet. Next, I would use nailed pairs of 2x8's for the beams. Finally, I would use 2x6's as rafters on 16" centers. It may not have to withstand a snow load, but with the specs I just gave you, it won't sag either.

Rick in East Bremerton
Rick in East Bremerton

A little Asperger's goes a long ways.

Make beer, not war.

Don S

Post by Don S »

bigun wrote:. It'll be sheathed with 3/4 plywood

"bigun"

I was a Framer many decades ago when finished 2x4s and 2x4 studs were 2x4 inches. My thought is 3/4 plywood is over kill, heavy and expen$ive... unless you and BB are going to be rebuilding engines up there!

Have a cool one.. Don S..