YAGS - Yet Another GM Swap

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

JeepinPete

Re: YAGS - Yet Another GM Swap

Post by JeepinPete »

Just wanted to let you know your mounts are going out tomorrow.
Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ :D
Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

Excellent!
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

Mounts showed up today!

Also got my out of state inspection done today, so hopefully by the end of the week I'll have a real license plate. Once it's in my name, I'm going to start tearing it down, hopefully this weekend. I did manage to shoe horn it in the garage. We just moved in, so the garage is full of crap I don't need or care about..

1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

Finally went and picked up my core trans today from a friend. It's a 4L70E from a Trailblazer SS. It's got a 2WD style tail on it, but my trans guy said "No big deal" and he'd swap it out. Now just need to find a bellhousing for it.. I didn't realize it didn't have one. Hopefully going to pick up a transfer case tomorrow. Plan to drop the transmission off at the trans shop on Monday. That will be the most expensive part of this whole build, without a doubt. However, I'm being told that the trans will be bullet proof for what I want to do with it.

So that's the short list of big parts..
  • Engine w/accessories
  • Trans
  • T/C
  • Mounts
  • Radiator
  • Gas pedal w/control box and harness
Now just need to figure out what I want to do with the fuel tank. I really wanted to just use the stock tank, but the lack of baffles is concerning. I already have a fuel pump from my swap donor, but it looks like the war was not so kind to it.. so I'm not confident on putting that one in. I'm open to suggestion, sage advice or whatever at this point.

I've put a sort of hopeful completion date in my brain for about a month from now. I have a 4 day off stretch (maybe 5 days) between Nov 10-13. I'm hoping to at least have the truck to the exhaust guy by that week. Probably a lofty goal, but I'm throwing it out there.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

Road Trip

Post by Road Trip »

I'm trying to use the stock tank on my swap. With the right combination of 5.3/4L60/adapter/T-case it should be ok. So I looked on a Bronco site and found a dual fuel pump system I am going to use. The pump sucking out of the tank goes to a "filter" that is really a holding tank and the fuel pump Captain Smith used will pick it up from there and take it to the engine. Something to think about anyway as I have not completed the swap/build and can't tell you it works like a dream.
Robert

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

Road Trip wrote:I'm trying to use the stock tank on my swap. With the right combination of 5.3/4L60/adapter/T-case it should be ok. So I looked on a Bronco site and found a dual fuel pump system I am going to use. The pump sucking out of the tank goes to a "filter" that is really a holding tank and the fuel pump Captain Smith used will pick it up from there and take it to the engine. Something to think about anyway as I have not completed the swap/build and can't tell you it works like a dream.
From a cost perspective, is that cheaper than just swapping tanks? Cost is my primary interest.. Ease of install is pretty near by though.. My last engine swap from carb to efi, I was able to use the stock tank and pickup, but that was on a Suzuki Samurai. I used a E2000 pump from a F150 mounted to the rail.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

Road Trip

Post by Road Trip »

I don't know if it is cheaper as I really have not priced them out side by side, but some things I was considering was where to put the spare if I put a gas tank in the area now used by the spare, how to connect up the fill hose, was I going to get the tools to bend the fuel line to fit to it, or just run hose, stuff like that. I just saw some issues I didn't want to get into and then I saw the Bronco site where this was discussed and liked the idea as it would be easy to implement.
Robert

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

Dropped the transmission off at the trans shop today. One step closer.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

Will be watching this build close! :-bd
Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

Spent $115 on spark plugs and wires tonight. Yikes. These wires from OReilly look pretty flimsy.... Just saying.

Also got valve cover gaskets, but it looks like I need grommets and 1-2 bolts. Yet more hidden damage from the shipping straps. Caused the valve cover to shift and bent 1 or two of the bolts. I think I can bend it back, but the grommets are slightly torn.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

Trans guy says he'll probably have my rebuild finished Thursday or Friday. Pretty impressive really.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

My wife is going to be so stoked.

1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

nester wrote:My wife is going to be so stoked.
You're more daring than I!

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

She just looked at it like one of the dogs pooped on the floor and kept walking. :D

In any event, making progress. Hope to have it mostly complete today, but I've got to run out now and take care of some real life business. Being an adult is PITA sometimes.

1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

LOL, brake clean in the house, you are a brave man... :P

Most days I dont eat lunch because I dont like to stop in the middle of something. :banghead:
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

I used only a moderate amount of brake clean. :x

I put a old shirt down under it, so as to not get brake clean on her desk. (Did I mention I'm doing this on her desk?)
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Buddy buddy...that is a sweet lookin wag :) Is that a 4inch lift?
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

HowardT64 wrote:Buddy buddy...that is a sweet lookin wag :) Is that a 4inch lift?
It's the Rough Country lift, I think it's 3-4 inches. No blocks in the rear though. The previous owner took leafs from the old front springs and added them to rear. (That's what I was told by him anyway.) The fronts are so new they still have legible FedEx shipping stickers on them. I added the tires.. just some 31x10.5 A/T tires.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

Just getting back on my feet, was sick (and working) all day yesterday... worked most of the day today and tended to the family tonight.

I'm working on the C2 portion of the harness at this point. I may have done this slightly backwards of what LT1swap normally does.. but I've got my pink wires, looks like 8 to the injectors, 2 to the coils, one to the MAF, one to the DBW box, 2 to the o2 sensors, one to the trans.

The thing I'm not so sure about is the neutral safety switch or range sensor or whatever it's called.

It's got 2 pink wires and then a bunch of colored wires in the C2 block. I know one of these is for the brake signal to shift out of park.. most likely this one:

A10 LT BLU 1320 CHMSL Supply Voltage/Stop Lamp Supply Voltage (KUP)

but what about the others? Any one want to chime in?
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

Got the call from the trans shop today.. Trans is ready to be picked up. So I'm going to snatch it up in the morning.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost