82 J10 mods underway

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Boscodad

82 J10 mods underway

Post by Boscodad »

Hello, I’ve been lurking on this site for a while since I acquired an 82 J10 last fall. The truck had been unused for about 15 yrs and the previous owner lost interest/gave up on getting it running. He had rebuilt the 2 bbl Motorcraft carb, replaced the radiator, starter, distributor cap, ignition wires, cleaned fuel system, but failed to recognize that the ignition module was melted down and running down the inner fender. A little tinkering and a new module and it started right up. BUT it ran only on 7 cylinders. Further inspection revealed 4 bent pushrods, a collapsed lifter and flat cam. Lucky me, I found a decent 304, with Edelbrock 4 bbl intake, to replace the 360. After installing new rings, bearings, cam and lifters, and oil pump kit I learned about the difference in early and late crankshaft flanges, doh! My truck has a 727 trans so it won’t play nice with the flat crank flange on the 304.
After this (costly) experience I elected to throw $$ at the JEEP and sourced a 1992 GMC 350/700R4 combo for it. My question: has anyone out there done this swap? I want to retain the NP208AM, and have already installed a 27 spline input to match up to the 700R4 trans. Will I need a clocking ring? Or should I try to use the NP241C which came with the engine/trans? The 241 has vss speedo output and I have not been able to find mechanical speedo parts for it, apparently a 1988-89 only application. Hindsight tells me I should have just rebuilt the 360, but, since I make frequent trips between Texas and Wisconsin, the overdrive trans has a lot of appeal. I would welcome expert advice from someone with more experience doing this swap.

Topic author
Boscodad

Re: 82 J10 mods underway

Post by Boscodad »

Thanks y’all for the quick response. Yes, I have already acquired and installed a 27 spline input in the NP 208. I redrilled 2 holes on the adapter from the GMC NP241C and it bolts up to the 208 . but looks to me like the front driveshaft will be too low, hence my question about a clocking ring. I would trial fit it but I’m waiting to get the trans back from the rebuilder. Thanks for the link for the clocking ring, ordered one today, so perhaps I’ll have some progress to report next week. I will also try to post some pics. FWIW I will be posting the 360 and 727 as soon as I’m allowed. Engine had good oil pressure but cam and lifters were (are) shot. Trans worked well the little bit that I drove it, pink fluid with no bad odors. The engine had all the smog equipment, right down to the paper duct to the air intake on the core support. I would still be interested in any info on this swap, moving the crossmember, linkages, etc. Thanks again.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: 82 J10 mods underway

Post by Stuka »

Boscodad wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:14 pm Thanks y’all for the quick response. Yes, I have already acquired and installed a 27 spline input in the NP 208. I redrilled 2 holes on the adapter from the GMC NP241C and it bolts up to the 208 . but looks to me like the front driveshaft will be too low, hence my question about a clocking ring. I would trial fit it but I’m waiting to get the trans back from the rebuilder. Thanks for the link for the clocking ring, ordered one today, so perhaps I’ll have some progress to report next week. I will also try to post some pics. FWIW I will be posting the 360 and 727 as soon as I’m allowed. Engine had good oil pressure but cam and lifters were (are) shot. Trans worked well the little bit that I drove it, pink fluid with no bad odors. The engine had all the smog equipment, right down to the paper duct to the air intake on the core support. I would still be interested in any info on this swap, moving the crossmember, linkages, etc. Thanks again.
I think you meant to respond in your other thread located here? viewtopic.php?p=227748#p227748
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ