Modifying a cj5 roll bar for a j10 ?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
candymancan

Modifying a cj5 roll bar for a j10 ?

Post by candymancan »

So finding factory roll bars mainly on honchos is going to be impossible.

There is a 81 cj5 in the jy here. And they sell roll bars for 33$. But being 81 is the larger roll bar that tilts back to line up with the windshield tilt. And it bolts to thr floor board. Versus the older models that are on a bar and bolt to the back of the tub.

But anything can be modified. What do you think about modifying this ? Shorten it so its just high enough to reach cabin roof height for lights.

Then cut the back / slanted bar off.. so i cant tilt the main bar up straight. Then mark and cut the / slanted bar and reweld to the now straight one.

Then cut the center and widen it so it will mount to the bed walls. Weld a plate on the bottom of each leg so i can bolt it to the bed.

I dont want it to protect me from rolling over lol. I just want it for looks and a light bar. The J10/20s look much better with a roll bar.

The green jeep if you can read my writing is to show you what my idea was.

The blue one is the one in the jy.. also does anyone know what kind of bolts do these use ? So i bring the right tools. Are like star bits or regular hex head bolts ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

tgreese

Re: Modifying a cj5 roll bar for a j10 ?

Post by tgreese »

Yeah, I think the center splice is the biggest issue. If all you want is a light bar, you could cut the CJ roll bar and splice it.

If you look on your local Jeep/4WD forums, I expect you will find members that can fab the hoop or pair of hoops in one piece. To me, that's a lot better. For example, https://va4wda.org/
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yes im not worried about it being a roll bar lol if i roll this j10 some miraculuous way as i dont rock crawl itll be totaled anyway hah.

I could use the tube i cut off the front legs to extend it. Why are you worried about it being cut center just curious ?

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I'd expect both the hoop width and height to be too short. Seems like an extra-janky way to get a hoop the width and height of your roof top. Plus you're ruining a good CJ roll bar to make this kludged-up bar.

There are plenty of Jeepers out there with tubing benders. Why not reach out to the local Jeeper community and get a piece of tubing bent to your specs? Roll bars like this are DOM tubing, AFAIK. ERW should be much cheaper and would work fine for your light bar. https://bangshift.com/general-news/tech ... ifference/ Can be smaller in diameter and lighter than a roll bar, if you don't care about the appearance and/or strength.

You like to resell your junkyard finds. Maybe sell this roll bar somewhere like jeepforum.com or Facebook Marketplace and use the money to buy a bespoke tubing hoop?

If you make the hoop strong and full-width, seems like a good place to put a screen to guard your back window. If you load firewood or carry anything above bed height, it would be wise to protect the back window and the cab occupants. Look at truck back window guards online. Seems to me that would be more useful, since it would protect against breakage and flying objects entering the cab, as well as make a place for your lights. https://www.bing.com/search?q=pickup+back+window+guard
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIJ5bPK-jB4

Here is a video of me making it, a few welds im not happy with due the quality wire i was using, i might grind those down and re-weld with better wire tomorrow.. There is nothing Janky about what i made once i fit it all and got it the way i wanted, the center is a little pointed due to how i had cut the arms to bend the arms up to match the roof dimensions and the narrowing cabin height. The funny thing is the cj roll bars are all pointed up like this. Mine was like that before i cut it as well. and it actually matchs the roof, the roof points higher in center. I dont care if it doesnt conform to the left and right corners of the cabin height wise like you said it might which it did, its fine for the rest of the roof dimensions though and i got the cabin narrowing upward good. I think it looks great and im happy with it..

There are tons of em for sale on facebook marketplace for like $100. And absolutetly 0 for a J truck, ive been looking for 7 months now.. If i didnt get this from the JY itd most likely get crushed anyway lol. It isnt a rare item

Also this one wasnt perfect. the lower 8 inchs in the front and the mounts of both poles were rotten to the core, i had to actually cut those rotten sections off at the JY to get it to fit in my Wagoneer. But they were completetly rotten, so it wouldnt have fit on a cj anyway as it was garbage, that CJ5 was the most rotten Jeep ive ever seen even worse than my J10 when i got it. The roll bar ripped right off and was hanging mid air (see pic) i didnt have to unbolt anything

Pics attached so you see it was a bad roll bar for anyone to buy. But good for me because i had to cut 2 feet off it to shortern it. I get what youre saying, I dont see this as a waste at all because its going back on a Jeep, and it was rotten badly on the bottom..

Great idea on the mesh though, that might look a bit trashy though, but since i use this truck a lot on my farm, and have had logs and poles up to the cabin roof height wise, ive always worried about one crashing into that back window. Thanks for that idea :-bd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.