Scary Tailgate Wire Damage - '89 Grand Wagoneer

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Greg72

Scary Tailgate Wire Damage - '89 Grand Wagoneer

Post by Greg72 »

Took a closer look at the rear tailgate today since it always seemed "stiff" when I would try to close it.

The culprit seems to be that the wire bundles are getting bunched-up in the tailgate jamb area. Basically I am just fighting and crushing them every time I close the tailgate.

Miraculously, the tailgate glass still works fine and rolls up and down as expected. However based on this photo it looks like I'm just dealing with a ticking time-bomb here....

A quick search at TGW and BJs Offroad did not reveal a replacement wiring harness available to swap in here... and those ultra stiff "wire protector" sleeves don't seem to be available either...??

Anyone dealt with this area themselves? Is it possible to buy bulk wire in the correct colors / wire gauge from somewhere to at least repair the 3 or 4 most heinously damaged wires in that bundle to prevent a short-circuit or "open circuit" due to an impending broken wire.

Tips, Threads, Links to Parts... all welcomed. Thanks in advance guys!
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - !! NEW !!

letank

Re: Scary Tailgate Wire Damage - '89 Grand Wagoneer

Post by letank »

same here, I discovered on a new project... I sliced the sheath off without cutting the other wires, then cut off the red wire and substituted for a new length of wire from under the cargo area to inside the tailgate one, and wrapped the wires with less than ideal electrical tape until....

the sheath filled with dirt
TailGate2DSLfsjx.jpg
and after
TailGate3DSLfsjx.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

thats pretty much the failure point its best to pull the wiring harness the connector is just below that, the OEM wiring work hardens overtime with the tailgate opening and closing causing them to break, i removed the harness and rewired the section and re installed it should get another 40 years out of it. if you want to do a long term fix.

Mopar_guy

Post by Mopar_guy »

When I rewire mine, I plan putting relays in the tailgate so I can use smaller control wires with just a heavy gauge hot and ground. If you use fine stranded wire, it'll hold up and last longer than standard wire.
83 Cherokee Laredo

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Can't hurt to use finer stranded wire. Use sillycone insulation if you can; even more flexible. That's the real problem, thirty year old insulation gets stiff.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Suggest you run each wire inside vacuum tubing, and make a bundle of each individually sheathed wire with zip ties. Vacuum tubing has a thick wall meant to prevent collapse under vacuum. The silicone wire insulation is more flexible than PVC (vinyl), but I suspect it is no tougher. Good for things like test leads. You could source wire with teflon insulation that is very tough, but it's not cheap. IMO vacuum tubing (cheap) over new vinyl primary wire (also cheap) would be better. I'd want the bundle of wires to be stiff and bulky so it could not be pinched in the tailgate jamb.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Greg72

Post by Greg72 »

tgreese wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:43 am Suggest you run each wire inside vacuum tubing, and make a bundle of each individually sheathed wire with zip ties. Vacuum tubing has a thick wall meant to prevent collapse under vacuum. The silicone wire insulation is more flexible than PVC (vinyl), but I suspect it is no tougher. Good for things like test leads. You could source wire with teflon insulation that is very tough, but it's not cheap. IMO vacuum tubing (cheap) over new vinyl primary wire (also cheap) would be better. I'd want the bundle of wires to be stiff and bulky so it could not be pinched in the tailgate jamb.
Well I tried your good idea... but couldn't get it all to fit properly.

After disconnecting the wires underneath, here is what you need to package once it's pulled up through the tailgate sill area.... (love the OEM duct tape that was covering the factory ground splice!!)

Installed vacuum lines on the wires to help protect them but the whole assembly just started to get too bulky...

It barely fit back in the oval hole and would not move smoothly... so it just created a different interference issue.
At least the wires weren't likely to get damaged though.

Pulled the whole thing apart (again) and removed the vacuum lines... carefully sandwiched the wires between two 1.25" strips of clear plastic to help insure that they held a flat shape even after tape was applied. This also was intended to allow the harness to somewhat find it's way into the rear cross-sill hole as the tailgate was closed.

Final Shot: You can see a bit of daylight around the new harness showing that it ended up pretty compact and flat. The entire thing was carefully wrapped in Tesa tape to give it a nice finished look.

So that's my temporary solution for now. Really didn't want to go this far down the rabbit hole in the first place.... and by rights, I should still do this same exercise on the passenger side harness because it is even MORE destroyed and pinched than the driver side one was....

Anyway... thanks for brainstorming with me on this one. Appreciate the input! :-bd

-G
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - !! NEW !!

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

BKilby over on the mother board did this to his 74 Cherokee.
If you have some welding skills it is kinda easy?

If God is your co-pilot, you need to switch seats!