Neutral Safety Switch Wiring

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Scott2

Neutral Safety Switch Wiring

Post by Scott2 »

I’ve been working away trying to wire up my ‘79 J10, ‘04 Tahoe LS motor/trans, Dakota Digital Dash, and Classic Auto Air. Seems like the right number of things to ensure disaster!

I recently got back to it after a couple year break and got tangled up with the swapped in Wagoneer auto column and trying to connect in the neutral safety switch. Confusion was taking over as I was struggling with wiring diagrams lack of detail in this area but there’s a happy ending here.

First,

Good info on NSS terminals here: https://youtu.be/ypZfyBf7Ta0

Second - I was trying to sort out the wires behind the dash so I could hook up the NSS and Backup lights parts of my newly installed neutral safety switch. I was a little worried about trying to track them from the ignition switch thru the mess of the column and harness. Since my truck was an original manual trans, I didn’t have a NSS and assumed I would not have the wiring or connectors so I had also reached out to a number of people with junk rigs. No one was willing go look for the connectors and they’re not available anywhere.

As I was tracing wires around I realized I had the wires and the connectors even though my J10 was a manual! They were both set up with little shorts across them ( not sure what to call them), tied up and tucked up high and in the far back. I pulled the little bridge things off and they plugged right in. Score! Maybe everyone but me knew this but it’s still a win! This made it much easier.

Good info on NSS terminals here: https://youtu.be/ypZfyBf7Ta0

—————————

I swapped a ‘78 Wagoneer auto column into my ‘79 J10 as part of my LS swap. That brought with it the column mounted neutral switch.

I can run the wires needed but I need to know which terminals on the NSS to run them to. There should be a few for the NSS, a few for the Backup Lights, and a few for the trans kick down - 7 overall. I only need the NSS and backup lights.

Anyone know which terminals do what? Thanks!

PS - the OL Jeep and Tech Manual wiring diagrams don’t go to this level of detail.

tgreese

Re: Neutral Safety Switch Wiring

Post by tgreese »

Scott2 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:24 pm ...As I was tracing wires around I realized I had the wires and the connectors even though my J10 was a manual! They were both set up with little shorts across them ( not sure what to call them) ...
Yep. They use the same harness and build it to work for either equipment. Dunno, in electronics they'd call them zero ohm jumpers. Jumpers.

Can't help with the column, but they used a GM column. Commodity item. It's a switch; you can characterize it with your multimeter. Test each connection and see what it does.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

bobcratchet555

Post by bobcratchet555 »

If it helps, the 4l60e itself has a range selector switch mounted on the shift lever. You could use that for the NSS as well as the backup lights if its easier.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

bobcratchet555 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:39 pm If it helps, the 4l60e itself has a range selector switch mounted on the shift lever. You could use that for the NSS as well as the backup lights if its easier.
u

This is how mine is wired, found it simpler. Although I just did reverse lights. NSS is bypassed on my truck. For some of the uses it sees I personally have a dislike for an NSS. I also have a winters floor shifter that I could put switches in for reverse and NSS if I was a mind to. The transmission mounted switch is very reliable and always properly adjusted.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909