A little progress on Roscoe....

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Moparmikeo

A little progress on Roscoe....

Post by Moparmikeo »

I took advantage of a few good weather days to wrap up the tune-up on Roscoe (82 Wag, 360/727) - replaced all vacuum lines, EGR and PCV, cap, rotor,wires and plugs. I figured it needed a little love, has 143k, was "modified" to tow an airstream that was probably too big - giveaways were blown-out air shocks, Ford 3 point truck mirrors mounted to the doors, extra large (Bronco?) tank mounted where the spare tire used to be, aftermarket transmission cooler, direct-drive flex fan, and an auxillary radiator, deep finned aftermarket trans pan with drain plug, old-school trailer brake that plumbed into the brake line. Yeah, this rig's been BEAT, and has been off the road since 2013.

The molded "S" shaped hose for the PCV hose was well past it's prime, cobbled it together with some pieces of straight hose. Any sources for the molded PCV hose, no luck in any searches.

I also discovered the front of the intake gasket is leaking a bit, at least that is easy to find!

All 8 plugs looked good, very slight fouling on #2. I figured while I had the plugs out, why not do a compression test to see just how bad it is.

Much to my surprise all 8 cylinders are between 160-170 lbs!!! I consider that an early Christmas gift! Is it common for these engines to have this much compression with this mileage? It does have a very small amount of valve chatter, but not horrible. Used some Rislone when I changed the oil, that might quiet it down.

It's at least drivable now. I don't consider it "roadworthy" since I haven't gone through the ball joints/u joints, but at least progress is being made.
82 Wagoneer Limited, A/K/A "Roscoe"

Was: brown metallic/Nutmeg

Now: Turd brown house paint/Nutmeg

Srdayflyer

Re: A little progress on Roscoe....

Post by Srdayflyer »

as far as the hose , i go to napa and ask if i can go in the back where they have the hoses and hunt for another application that has the right bends and go with it and cut to fit ,i have always found what i needed on other restorations. azone and the like dont have the selection napa has

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I used straight hose and a couple of (brass? plastic? don't recall) elbows to make a replacement. If you locate a good substitute, I would be interested. A pair of hoses with right angle bends, or an s-shaped hose with the wrong lengths or angle could be cut and spliced to fit with a union.

Note the hose must be fuel/emissions rated. Motor oil will soften radiator hose and it will fall apart. Can't use bypass hoses or heater hoses for this application.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

the local parts store should have PCV hose, I remember that I added something to make it fit to deal with the curving... need to take pict:
PCVconfigDSL.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)