Confer type Roof Rack gutter clamps

Topic author
ntsqd
Vendor

Confer type Roof Rack gutter clamps

Post by ntsqd »

We're putting an RTT on our '71 Wagoneer. The Confer design just really looks correct on these trucks, and any others of the same era, and they work extremely well. I have some of these clamps, but not enough to completely support it. When I went looking for more of them I found that they're really expensive when you can find any at all. I decided to see about making what I needed instead. The original parts are steel with a cadmium plating. As I live in CA getting the plating done would be next to impossible, so I decided to make these parts in 304 Stainless Steel instead.

So far there are 3 people interested in perhaps as many as four sets of parts each. As the number of parts goes up, the cost comes down so I thought that I would see if there is more interest from folks who didn't see them in my build thread. To give some idea of where the cost is now, were I to only make 16 sets of parts the cost for 4 sets would be about $550. As the number of sets increases, the cost will go down. I just don't yet know by how much and won't know until I have some idea of just how many of each part I'll be making.
Last edited by ntsqd on Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
thom

Where does that road go?

Topic author
ntsqd
Vendor

Re: Confer type Roof Rack gutter clamps

Post by ntsqd »

I have modified the cross-bar bracket's design subtly to use 80/20 extrusions, specifically their 1530 series, which is 1.5" X 3.0" https://8020.net/catalog/category/view/ ... sions=5567 If you are unfamiliar with these extrusions I suggest looking around that web page. They are called the "Engineer's Erector Set" for good reason. I'm personally partial to the 1530-S extrusion.

Picture of my CAD model:

Pictures of the prototype part sets:

Image of the 80/20 p/n: 1530-S extrusion:

The angle brackets are 5.45" from the gutter to the top of the flat of the bracket where the 80/20 cross-bar extrusion will sit. I have since modeled two more brackets that are progressively lower.at 4.58" and 3.70" for the same dimension. All three brackets can go up as much as another .75" from there. I also made the bracket to clamp body bolts 3/8 UNC instead of Confer's 5/16 IUNC. Mostly because the clamp bolt/stud is 3/8 UNC and that makes it one tool size to work on all of that. The 80/20 fasteners will be 5/16UNC or 8X1.25, so a 1/2" or 13mm tool will still be needed to set and adjust the cross-bars.
thom

Where does that road go?

Topic author
ntsqd
Vendor

Post by ntsqd »

The tall bracket, the bracket shown in the prototype parts pics above, is at it's lowest setting would be 1.375" above the Wagon's roof and 2.125" at it's highest setting. The mid-height bracket would be 0.50" above the roof at it's lowest setting and 1.25" above it at it's highest setting. At this point in time I may not be making the tall bracket or the short bracket as I've had no call for them.

I've slightly revised the design of the brackets, can now use either the 1.5" X 3.0" 80/20 extrusion or can now also use the slightly smaller 30mm X 60mm 80/20 extrusion. Both use either M8 or 5/16" hardware.

I'm trying to get the first batch size sorted out. Given the lack of response this may be the only batch that I ever make. If you are interested I need to hear from you. Either PM me or reply here.
thom

Where does that road go?

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

So this thread gets a few more hits…. I’m in for 4 pairs in whatever the final configuration is. This is a very nice product and I know some of you here are RTT and/or roof rack users.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909