Knobs that just pull out ? What to do

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
candymancan

Knobs that just pull out ? What to do

Post by candymancan »

One thing i hate abkut the older style fsj. Are the knobs. That just pull out.

My wiper knob doesnt turn fir the wipers.. because its weakened inside and pulls out.. so i gatta turn it by the little stub. The vent doors by yoir feet.. one works. One pulled right off.

How do you guys secure these ?? Lol. Or do they make em nee to screw back into
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

letank

Re: Knobs that just pull out ? What to do

Post by letank »

for the air knob you can get nice aluminum ones... then cook (with a heat gun) the old one to release the glue and lift the tag with a razor blade and transfer the label to your new knob
KnobRenewedFSJ.jpg
the wiper is trickier because of the central button for the washer , depending on years, can't remember for the YM 76.

I got the buttons from dabay, or amagone, can't remember, they are for CJ under rugged ridge knobs
NewKnobDrvV2broFSJ.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

tgreese

Re: Knobs that just pull out ? What to do

Post by tgreese »

IIRC the Wagoneer uses a wiper knob with a push button in the center that runs the washer. The CJ uses a similar knob, but the washer runs when you push the whole knob into the dash. You can buy the CJ knob aftermarket, and the switch previously was available as a 989940 or 5460089. Amazon has it, though many places list it as unavailable (no stock, not discontinued). https://www.amazon.com/Crown-Automotive ... B008VPTI0O

You should be able to adapt this to your existing wiper/washer. Use the CJ knob and you'll have a new knob that matches and will stay on the switch shaft. Note these knobs are held on by an internal spring clip that grabs the shaft, and you must put a blade or probe into their backside to release the knob. Suspect your knob was removed with brute force and ruined. Possible you can straighten the clip, or pick a clip from a new aftermarket knob and repair your knob. No experience with this repair! Though I have removed and replaced the CJ knobs.

You could also replace the wiper switch with a couple of aftermarket switches. The washer would use a SPST momentary toggle or a push button, and the wipers would use a SP3T toggle or a rotary switch.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.