Coil over rubbing axle tube.. van i shave the coil over just a hair ?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
candymancan

Coil over rubbing axle tube.. van i shave the coil over just a hair ?

Post by candymancan »

Got both rear leaf spring on and like i said.. It pushed my axle back 3/4 of an inch. The coil overs i have are the 500lbs red grabriels from 7 years ago. They were on my 90gw but only for at max a year. Theyre still good.

But when i tty to put thrm back on my j10 it wont line up now. Its off.. by jist a HAIR.. from the axle being moved back a little with the springs. Can i shave a hair off the coil over and its mount ? Id use a flap disk. Just take a few mm off. Thats all i need to get it on.

Hell i almost thought of shaving the axle tube.. but yea. Not sure why it fits ny 90 but not the j10. The other side needs washers between it rubs the c channle frame.. and this side is fully clear of it. Its like these mounts are just off a hair or simething from factory.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Coil over rubbing axle tube.. van i shave the coil over just a hair ?

Post by Stuka »

Common issue on J-Trucks. I am not sure of the reasoning, but the shock mounts on the truck axles were rotated farther underneath the axle tube (Compared to the wagons which don't have this issue). On my J10, the shock housings had small dents on them due to this.

Some people cut off and rotate up the shock mounts to get around it.

The issue is if you do trim that a bit to get them to bolt up, if the axle travels down, that angle gets worse and the coil would get pushed into the axle housing. So you really need to see how far off it is with the axle fully drooped out. And not surprised left to right is slightly different, it is AMC after all :P
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

These bolted up fine with the factory j10 aprings.. with the new aprings you said are same lengths. (Which they arent) it pushed the axle back changing the angle of the shocks i had to shave down 50% of the shock mount the spring sits on and 10% of the spring to get it to fit.. and it still veelry very close.

Ya i trimmed it with the axle hanging down fully so itll not rub like that.. figured it out before you replied hah
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

These would fix your problem. Rear relocation brackets: https://rocklaurencevintageautoparts.co ... after-lift