Front Shackle (Stock) hole spacing??

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Greg72

Re: Front Shackle (Stock) hole spacing??

Post by Greg72 »

tgreese wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:44 am With lift springs, often longer shocks are insatalled. This is fine as long as the compressed length of the shock is longer than the minimum distance between the pins at fully compressed. Appears you have extra spacers between the frame and bumpers, which may be meant to address the increased length.
Good point. I didn't bother to measure the main leaf (eye-to-eye along the arch) when I had it out of the truck, but since I still need to do the driver's side this could still be done. Then comparing that to the (eye-to-eye) when the weight it on the spring the amount of uptravel and growth of the spring (as it flattens out) under bump could be determined. Those bumpstops do look like they were spaced-down... but maybe still not enough?

Will keep thinking about this in the coming days... really hate to keep putting time/effort into this 2" lift since I plan to remove it eventually anyway... but once it's all back together with proper caster it might ride well enough that it's not a big urgent rush anymore.

-G
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - !! NEW !!

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Here is a 35 ft view on my rig with 235/75R/15 tires on approximate 4" lift.
Was avoiding the influence to go bigger on treads for looks, to keep smaller tires for torque/load advantage as I want my rig for pulling our camper & gear, not showing off on trails or the mall.
Will get more pics posted to give you a better idea to compare.

Image20230513_181507 by Scott Weckerly, on Flickr
Greg72 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:25 pm
tgreese wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:57 am Probably more accurate to measure the circumference and divide by pi. I get the same diameter as you for a 235/75R15 using arithmetic. Supposedly the tire manufacturers routinely overstate the height of a given tire. TireRack will list the actual diameter if you find your tire on their site.

Yeah.. circumference on both would be more scientific and accurate, but was just looking for a ballpark understanding of how far off the current tires are.... I thought for sure that the original whitewalls would be puny on there and would look incredibly odd with the existing 2" lift. Anyone have a photo of something like that? I really need new tires in the near future, so maybe I mount the whitewalls "black side out" for now to make it look a little less awkward, until I have the funds to completely swap out the suspension to get this truck lowered to stock height again.

-G
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Topic author
Greg72

Post by Greg72 »

DevilDog80,

Just out of curiosity... what is the distance from the center of the wheel hub to the underside of the wheel arch (front fender)?

I'm currently at 20" measuring from the hub center up to my front fenderlip...

My Target height... looks like about half the gap that I currently have...

-G

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

When i had new stock springs put on the ride height was 18 front 17 rear. The rear is lower only due to the quarter panel sitting lower.

That pic youre looking at is sagged springs. Stock height is higher than that. I had a very large gap with new springs and stock tires. Here are my before and after pics. See how my before looks like that silver Jeeps almost. Then after looks like your current height nearly if you scroll down this thread i linked.

And this pic i took like 2 weeks this is like 5 years later. All i did was put add a leafd on. Which didnt give ne 2 inchs lol. It gave ne like .5 inchs lol oddly. I put a 1 inch block on the rear though to fix that (sagging illusion quarter panel) I was pissed at rustys offroad for selling these expensive add a leaf promising 2 inchs lift.. but they did do jack sht. The owner is a douschbag too i nearly sued them.

Thr only thing the add a leaf did was making suspension stiffer. Which i guess was good for towing when i had that J10 behind me. So basically this is stock height and 31 MTs. That are about 40% worn

viewtopic.php?t=17446
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Mine measure right at 20-3/4 inch with stock tires.
Truck came to me with 31/10.5's that were literally cooked from sitting for 18 years, and did give a beefier look, but PO was using the truck for trail use primarily. They did look nicer with the lift he had put on it, which I am keeping, but my use is different.
This measurement is also with the old Rancho 9000/112 shocks still on it, but I have a new set of Bilsteins coming to switch them out.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

devildog80 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:22 am Mine measure right at 20-3/4 inch with stock tires.
Truck came to me with 31/10.5's that were literally cooked from sitting for 18 years, and did give a beefier look, but PO was using the truck for trail use primarily. They did look nicer with the lift he had put on it, which I am keeping, but my use is different.
This measurement is also with the old Rancho 9000/112 shocks still on it, but I have a new set of Bilsteins coming to switch them out.

Tire size wont affect the spring lift measurement from the center hub to the wheel well.

If youre getting 20 3/4. And im getting 18 with stock springs. Then your 4 inch lift has sagged 1 1/4 inchs. Down to 2. 3/4 lift.

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Not sure about the sag, but measuring at the top of the cab from ground, I am about 3.6" higher (70") than OEM spec (66.4") for my year truck, so not a full 4" lift.
Gonna run it as it sits :)

ntsqd
Vendor

Post by ntsqd »

Looking at this pic:
I think that you're ready to remove that trac-bar riser. Note the slight uphill slope of the section of the bar that is normally about level.

Color me envious of those wheels, really wanted a set of them. Just not badly enough to convert to 6 lug.
thom

Where does that road go?

Topic author
Greg72

Post by Greg72 »

ntsqd wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:53 pm Looking at this pic:

I think that you're ready to remove that trac-bar riser. Note the slight uphill slope of the section of the bar that is normally about level.

Color me envious of those wheels, really wanted a set of them. Just not badly enough to convert to 6 lug.
Oh... what a difference a couple months make!!! :) Bought this GW in late August and have been spending WAAAAY to much time and $$$ since then. Pulled out the old lift springs / shocks completely and replaced with factory style ones. Replaced the rock-hard, dry rotten MT tires with some soft, new whitewalls as well and the improvement in ride quality is nothing short of amazing....!!!!

Here was the weekend when the lift was pulled out... with 50% completed. Working 1/2 way sticking out of a garage bay and it rained the whole time... but we got it done!

Those OEM wheels clean up nice... lots of sanding to remove the dead anodizing, but you can't argue with the results.
Got one done (took 8 hours) so once my fingers heal, I will do the rest.. it's a slow process. (Good comparison of old (mounted) vs newly polished)

Current look of the GW... and yes... I still need to cut the tack welds off that PHB extension and get the bar mounted back to the stock riser before bringing it to the local alignment shop for a final check of the numbers.

It's an endless list of repairs, fixes and tweaks to get this vehicle to be functional, comfortable and trustworthy... but it's getting there!

-G

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I gix that rear end sag look. Id get a 1 inch lift block. Thats what i did. The quarter panel wheel wrlls sit lower so its an optical illusion. But i still prefered it to not look like an optical illusion so i got 1 inch blocks for the rear to make it look more level

Topic author
Greg72

Post by Greg72 »

candymancan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:31 pm I gix that rear end sag look. Id get a 1 inch lift block. Thats what i did. The quarter panel wheel wrlls sit lower so its an optical illusion. But i still prefered it to not look like an optical illusion so i got 1 inch blocks for the rear to make it look more level
Yeah, I know what you mean.

Gonna let the springs settle-in and get some more miles on it first... then I will fine tune the ride height out back. With a soft set of stock springs like this has now, the ride height changes noticeably on the driver's side depending on whether the fuel tank is full or empty. :)

-G