White roof paint roll / brush suggestions

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
CoconutFiasco

White roof paint roll / brush suggestions

Post by CoconutFiasco »

Hi all,

I am mid project sealing closed the sunroof hole, and its coming along well. I figure now is an ideal time to paint the roof. I am going for white on the roof and will paint the rest of the body later on. Does anyone have any suggestions for roll on or brush on paint? I am looking to just knock it out in my driveway. the jeep is lifted a good bit so no-one is ever really looking up close and personal at the roof.

Thanks!

tgreese

Re: White roof paint roll / brush suggestions

Post by tgreese »

What's wrong with spray cans? Any roller or brush will show marks in the paint. I've tried the foam rollers meant for smooth surfaces and they leave stipples. You can rub them out (see online articles) but you don't want to invest a lot of fine. The Ace Premium spray cans work well, and are easy to spray. Should not take more than 5-6 cans; estimates of spray can coverage vary. I would guess about a square yard per can, maybe a little more? Or buy an airless sprayer can a quart of Rustoleum enamel. Higher cost up front buy you can use it for other projects.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Scotty54

Post by Scotty54 »

This may surprise some, but I have used touch-up foam rollers with ordinary Rustoleum paint with great success. No roller marks and almost looked sprayed on. I haven't done anything as big as a roof, but have done inner fenders, under the hood, etc.

I will also add that my local auto paint store will place Nason paint in a spray can after a custom color mix. It has no hardener but even without that it's still a very durable paint, goes on very nice and dries fast. I would imagine most auto paint shops can do this with other brands as well. I have used it to touch up body panels, and after a 1200 grit wetsanding and 3m polish, it looks professional. I would go this route for a roof, if you have a dust and wind free place to do the painting.
1977 Cherokee Chief 401 QT
Northeast Tennessee

Scotty54

Post by Scotty54 »

I think Eastwood makes a primer designed to be rolled on. The paint is easy - put some effort into the prep and primer.
1977 Cherokee Chief 401 QT
Northeast Tennessee

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Please don't roll or brush paint on your Jeep. I know its the roof, but it really looks bad. Its going to be really hard to get an even amount of paint with the ribs that go across the roof. Though I have no experience with the eastwood paint noted above.

You can get good quality automotive rattle can paint that will last a decent amount of time.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
CoconutFiasco

Post by CoconutFiasco »

OK i'll go the spray route. do you all think gloss or semi gloss would end up looking better?

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Gloss is more durable. Paints start out glossy, then dulling agents (like talc) are added to make glossy paint dull. The dulling agent makes the paint softer and less resistant to scuffing.
Last edited by tgreese on Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Maybe look at an insulating paint.

I sprayed Raptor with an undercoating gun in the interior. Not smooth at all but I wasn't looking for that. After using it, the roof is the only place I would use Raptor on the exterior.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

letank

Post by letank »

I have done a few FSJs roof, and even the whole body with foam roller, unfortunately google archive is off and I am retrieving the files.

It is fairly smooth, I used marine expoxy paint from weest marine, but it is not too durable, need to be redone after 3 years. I have done whole body with metal garage door paint, it was the flat paint, but not too durable because of the flat quality.

Here was the first coat:
PaintRoofDSL.jpg
and another FSJ, I did not bother too much with the roof rack holes on this roof, you can see the epoxy swirls
PaintRoofBro.jpg
the problem with the spray paint is the fact that the roof is flat, so at some point you run out of paint while still having a half or a quarter full can... and when you reach that level, it splatters paint... ruining your work!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

Spray cans will be a loooong process on an entire roof. I expect you will get frustrated half way into the first coat with one or two more to go.

Manually applied paint can lay down nicely if it is reduced and applied properly. The trick is to experiment a bit on small panels beforehand.

I painted cars in my shop exclusively for four years in a purpose built spray booth. I discovered later, outdoors was often as good of a place to paint. In my neck of the woods there is often a perfect window of opportunity in the morning to paint. This window is before the wind kicks up the bugs come out and sun shines directly on the work.

I use to have everything ready the night before with the car in the shop to prevent dew accumulation. When the time was right I would roll the car out and spray.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

If you go the foam roller/rustoleum route, cut the paint with mineral spirits to get a smoother flow and no roller marks. I did 75/25 mix and it rolled out like water, dried fast and gave an impressively decent result. Rustoleum after a few years starts to fade a little, just rub it down with boiled linseed oil and it'll shine right back up.
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

For thinning rust oleum I prefer acetone or xylene, dries faster. Another trick is to add hardener to it, will make it last much longer and be shinier.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

letank

Post by letank »

Yeller wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:23 am For thinning rust oleum I prefer acetone or xylene, dries faster. Another trick is to add hardener to it, will make it last much longer and be shinier.
very good idea about the hardener... how can we do that... use the one that comes with bondo?
Michel

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

letank wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:46 pm
Yeller wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:23 am For thinning rust oleum I prefer acetone or xylene, dries faster. Another trick is to add hardener to it, will make it last much longer and be shinier.
very good idea about the hardener... how can we do that... use the one that comes with bondo?
Here ya go
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... f-1-2-pint
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

letank

Post by letank »

thank you
Michel