1991 Grand Wagoneer just bought, need some directions

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Srdayflyer

Re: 1991 Grand Wagoneer just bought, need some directions

Post by Srdayflyer »

if you go with an electrical f.p. i would order a fuel pump blanking plate from summit racing and remove the mechanical fuel pump entirely no need to have a part not working installed, as it still will be running off the camshaft.

letank

Post by letank »

Srdayflyer wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:00 am if you go with an electrical f.p. i would order a fuel pump blanking plate from summit racing and remove the mechanical fuel pump entirely no need to have a part not working installed, as it still will be running off the camshaft.
Good point, the chevy block off work or get one from bj's

https://bjsoffroad.com/fuel-pump-block- ... te-amc-v8/

as for electric the cheapo microelectric from edelbrock
EfuelSpecsDSL.jpg
works well and can be installed very conveniently, I have mine on the frame rail not too far from the PS pump...
EfuelDSL.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
rj0530

Post by rj0530 »

tgreese wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:02 am You realize that the "donor" is the Chevrolet truck or car that the LS engine and transmission came from? Your Jeep is not the donor, it's the recipient of whatever was donated.

Have you ever owned a really old car? Or one that's been in storage for a long time? Do you want help with that?

If I were looking for help, I'd try the local Jeep or 4x4 clubs first. Usually they have a forum, or a Facebook page today. That would be a good place to get referrals if you need help with repairs. This place has people from everywhere, and will help you a lot with info specific to your GW. However, you're more likely to find local resources for repairs and such on Facebook or similar.

First hit from a search: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TBAJA/

https://www.bing.com/search?q=tampa+bay ... 4+facebook
I do know which vehicle the word donor would refer to. My only possible excuse would be the "Eurology Surgery" I spoke about in the thread. It was a misspeak and for that I apologize.
I have owned old vehicles, I'm an old guy and I don't believe this vehicle was in "storage" either. I've done some things with vehicle repair but tried to make clear that I'm not an expert nor really competent at any of it. This is my first crack at trying this and the jury is surely out on the outcome. I've always wanted to do it but never had the finance to afford it. I can now, so I dove off the deep end. I don't know what I'm doing nor the direction I will end, so I can seem a bit scattered. The thoughts and directions I have received prior to this one have been immensly helpful in helping me gather my thoughts on where I go with this. Your admonition's only desired outcome was to present me an idiot. Consider your target hit.

With all that said, if I hear you correctly, you are suggesting I take my silly questions elsewhere as this forum is for the more well heeled owners. My apologies on the rookie mistakes and will consider myself corrected. I'll just read and lurk vs asking dumb questions. could be that your just a mean ole critic that gets up in everyones behind, often but truth is, I haven't done the research to say such a thing, so I won't. either way, will throttle the dumb stuff back and leave the questions to the experts.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Sorry, I think you are projecting your preconceptions on my words. I apologize that I am unable to discern your level of expertise from the few words you have posted. I can only clarify that I made an honest offer to cover that topic if you needed or wanted such discussion.

I understood you wanted referrals to local shops or businesses that might provide repair or body work. This being an international forum, I suggested you would be more likely to get such referrals from a local forum such as the Facebook link I posted.

There are maybe two forums online that specialize in these vehicles, this one and IFSJA.org. At either forum you will get whatever help and advice you ask for that is both authoritative and topical. The moderators at both forums strive diligently to keep the forums topical, respectful and PG rated. If my response did not conform to these constraints, I would have been corrected.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

will e

Post by will e »

I think what we have here is a good old fashioned misunderstanding. We don't chase off newbs, we encourage them. tgreese is a very active member of the forum and I can assure you he was not trying to denigrate you.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I agree with will e. TGreese and I had some similar exchanges early on, he’s a good guy that genuinely means well.

Keep asking and posting, this really is a good place with a lot of freely shared experience. We do all have the same passion for old iron that burns fossil fuels and sometimes marks their territory by leaving some of it behind. 😂
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Johnzi10

Post by Johnzi10 »

I’m an old guy, 62 with my 89. Don’t be offended!!!!!. The info you’re getting is great, but you must realize the differing amounts of work, $$$, that different choices bring. Doing the work yourself, which I am, and the pace, and time of your project all require knowing what you are biting off. Otherwise just send it to a rebuilder and get it back in 2years.
2020 Cherokee Limited v6. Wife’s Jeep
2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo Daughters Jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee “the Ghost”
1989 Grand Wagoneer my Covid mental health medicine

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

My suggestion, since I am building my J-10 myself is....have a plan. Get it running and drive it, this way you know which direction you want to go with it. I did not do a frame off, but I did all body work, paint, mechanical and electrical work/suspension myself. I am almost 2 years into it right now. I have only driven maybe 500 miles in 2 years. I am close to be finished but it has been a long process.
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

Topic author
rj0530

Post by rj0530 »

I did end up going with the LS swap. I now have a 5.9L and trans for sale that came out of it.. The engine and trans had 109k on it and ran and drove. I live in zephyrhills FL. Surely would be a local pickup only but would be willing to make someone a nice deal to get it gone quickly.