'71 Wagoneer Pt 2

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

devildog80

Re: '71 Wagoneer Pt 2

Post by devildog80 »

You already have friends at college? And they took you out mudding already?
What are they mudding with?
Pics or it did not happen :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I know, I can't believe I already have friends either :lol:

They don't have 4x4s but wanted to go out exploring...we didn't really intend it to turn into mudding...

I can upload pics of the aftermath here soon, but we didn't get any pics WHILE we were out.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Ok, so they are now friends because....."My "friend" has this really cool old 4x4, and we can go off roading and have fun and do all that cool stuff".
So you go do this with them, who pays the gas, truck gets broken who buys the parts/pays to fix it, who buys your lunch/drinks for the day.....not preaching but been there done that in my own young years, and no friends that just use you for the fun of it.
If they want to play, they gotta pay somehow. Nothing is free anymore, and "friends".....dime a dozen depending how they treat you and your property.
Sorry....off my "dad" box now.
Be safe, have fun at college, and hope you have lots of true friends, for just being you :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

One wonders where they'll be when they encourage you to try something and you get stuck and they don't have a rig to get you out.

I assume the school has a paper? Prolly electronical nowadays. Clubs might have an ad or post up looking for other off roaders.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

devildog80 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:01 am Ok, so they are now friends because....."My "friend" has this really cool old 4x4, and we can go off roading and have fun and do all that cool stuff".
So you go do this with them, who pays the gas, truck gets broken who buys the parts/pays to fix it, who buys your lunch/drinks for the day.....not preaching but been there done that in my own young years, and no friends that just use you for the fun of it.
If they want to play, they gotta pay somehow. Nothing is free anymore, and "friends".....dime a dozen depending how they treat you and your property.
Sorry....off my "dad" box now.
Be safe, have fun at college, and hope you have lots of true friends, for just being you :)
Hey we were off camping and they fed me. I have no room to complain lol

Also I didn't break anything and wouldn't probably trust anybody else to work on it anyway...
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

SJTD wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:34 pm One wonders where they'll be when they encourage you to try something and you get stuck and they don't have a rig to get you out.

I assume the school has a paper? Prolly electronical nowadays. Clubs might have an ad or post up looking for other off roaders.
Idk about a paper but there are a bunch of clubs...not that I have time for it with my schedule now tho.

I'm not looking for anything hard core either--just have some fun screwing around and showing off the 50-year-old iron that's still kicking.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I'm on the Formula SAE team, where we're building a test mule for electric SAE, and then also the ice car is the racecar. There's also an "off road club" that has Baja SAE...which I'm thinking I might want to do next year. But the EV conversion thing makes me think I should stick with Formula for now, given what I want to do.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Saw another FSJ on campus--looks like one of the upperclassmen has a '79 Cherokee, white N/T 2-door. Totally clueless that 2 FSJs were at a 4-way stop at the same intersection.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

A few pics...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Couple more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Made the CSU class of '27 Snapchat story a couple weeks ago lol
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Drawing attention again I see🤣🤣🤣

Looks good 😊
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

How many help me calls have you done so far?
Should be getting no less than $50 a yank out of the snow bank, $40 for every jump start, etc... Could pay for your college pretty quick.

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Yeller wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:29 pm Drawing attention again I see🤣🤣🤣

Looks good 😊
Thanks @Yeller!
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

devildog80 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:52 am How many help me calls have you done so far?
Should be getting no less than $50 a yank out of the snow bank, $40 for every jump start, etc... Could pay for your college pretty quick.
None yet but we haven't gotten too terribly much snow/ice yet. I had to get a few jumps myself when the alternator was bad...

I suspect the help me calls will be going up before too long though. I have one buddy with a lifted Tacoma and big tires that seems to slide if there's anything resembling water/ice anywhere on the road...

Anyway it may not happen much this year anyway. Most of my friends still have their cars back home so it's mostly "Hey could I get a ride to..?"
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Currently rebuilding the bench seat; also just ordered this kit: https://stores.partsdude4x4.net/igni...d-2-door-lock/ Should be able to get it all keyed the same except for the tailgate--which I am OK with not matching. I also needed a new ignition switch anyway, didn't have a glove box lock which would make me feel better, and the door locks don't match (I don't have a key for the passenger's side lock).

Might also be going to TBI this summer on it (finally, lol). One of my buddy's dads has an old '94 GMC 3/4 ton that's rusted out with a spun bearing sitting in their yard, and my friend said he'd pull it (wiring harness, throttle body, computer, everything) and give it to me for free. They can't use it for anything anyway. This is 2-barrel TBI and will obviously need retuned for a Buick 350, which my dad did all the tuning on the 401 on the '88, so I think we can do it.

According to my math, that 2-barrel TBI's 400 cfm won't be adequate for the Buick, assuming a 1:1 induction ratio (which frankly probably isn't reasonable given that it's never been rebuilt...). My plan to compensate for that is to do these mods https://harristuning.com/Tbi/ultimate-tbi-mods/ to the throttle body, as well as doing an air cleaner upgrade over the stock TBI air cleaner. I'll also need the 454 2-barrel TBI to Quadrajet adapter, and to figure out a fuel pump, of course.

I'm still debating about that TBI. On the one hand, the price is right, and I wouldn't have to mess with any more tuning once it's dialed in. On the other hand, I have the carb all dialed in, with an electric fuel pump and a decent fuel filter, and I have it set up so I can just swap out the metering rods for higher altitude, so I don't nec. want to mess with that. I keep going back and forth. Will see; any insight will be considered as I won't be doing that until summer at the earliest, with it being my daily driver.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

In my opinion the TBI helps with all around drive ability, cold starts and hot starts become a non issue, until it’s -40 in the great white north but nothing starts then without a little work lol.

As for it being large enough, it is, don’t let the CFM rating trap catch you. Your Buick engine is only going to effectively spin up to about 4000-4500rpm beyond that it’s just making a lot of noise and not doing much work, well within the design parameters for the throttle body. Now if you add compression and a big fat cam and open up the heads so it will spin 6000rpm then yes it’s not large enough, but that has an easy fix, get a throttle body for a 454, it will move enough air, a stock 350 does not need a big block throttle body, been there done that.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

"Most of my friends still have their cars back home so it's mostly "Hey could I get a ride to..?"

Petrol/wear/tear.....all costs money too.

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Yeller wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:26 am In my opinion the TBI helps with all around drive ability, cold starts and hot starts become a non issue, until it’s -40 in the great white north but nothing starts then without a little work lol.

As for it being large enough, it is, don’t let the CFM rating trap catch you. Your Buick engine is only going to effectively spin up to about 4000-4500rpm beyond that it’s just making a lot of noise and not doing much work, well within the design parameters for the throttle body. Now if you add compression and a big fat cam and open up the heads so it will spin 6000rpm then yes it’s not large enough, but that has an easy fix, get a throttle body for a 454, it will move enough air, a stock 350 does not need a big block throttle body, been there done that.
Once we got it tuned, never had any issues with the '88 as far as the TBI goes--really didn't care what the temp was at all lol.

I did all of the math on the CFM ratings--peak horsepower on the B350 I have should be right around 5200 as I have the 4-barrel intake manifold. According to that math, assuming a 1:1 intake ratio with the 349.3 cubic inches (which I'll admit is being generous on a 50-year-old engine with who knows how many miles on it that's never been rebuilt), I should need right around 530 CFM at wide open throttle. Now, really it doesn't spend any time over 4k unless I'm showing off spinning the tires in the wet, but technically the hp peak is up there, and considering that I have plenty of carb on it now, I don't want to fix other little things and suddenly restrict it in other ways. I know that technically it SHOULD be fine with the stock 2-barrel TBI throttle body, however if/when I go to that I'm absolutely going to do those simple mods on it from the start, so as to minimize/eliminate any risk of additional restriction. Will probably also do a better flowing air cleaner of some sort vs. the stock TBI Chevy air cleaner.

It'll just barely do the speed limit pretty much everywhere in CO and I want to ensure I can still do at least that with the TBI is all. Also may improve the exhaust before then, in which case I may need more flow than I need now.

As easily as it fires up now and as well as I know and understand the carb, I also kind of hate to mess with something that works well for little gains. Flip side is I don't wanna spend the hours that I've spent tuning the stupid thing again when I have to rebuild the carb again/etc.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

devildog80 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:01 pm "Most of my friends still have their cars back home so it's mostly "Hey could I get a ride to..?"

Petrol/wear/tear.....all costs money too.
Yeah I've started charging gas money since there's no way I can keep up with burning that kind of gas all the time. Most of my friends are pretty good about it; it just gets annoying sometimes.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070