Got my new lift kit!

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
J7M46sn

Got my new lift kit!

Post by J7M46sn »

1977 Jeep J20, 360 V8, 4 speed. I ordered a 4" Skyjacker lift kit directly from Skyjacker, just after Thanksgiving. It was delivered late last week, well strapped/contained on a pallet, so I'm pretty happy about that. I went through all of the kit contents, especially the hardware, and discovered I had one extra U-bolt I didn't need, and I'm short one U-bolt I DO need. I exchanged emails with Skyjacker, it sounds like they're going to send the correct missing U-bolt, fingers crossed. So far, generally OK with things!

Years ago, I installed my first spring lift kit (Rough Country - it was rough!) on a '54 Willys CJ3B I used to have (shoulda NEVER sold it...), and a few years later, I installed a 6" BDS spring lift kit on my '74 Chevy K10/K30 (still own that one!). I'm looking forward to doing this one.

After some on-line research, I felt like the Skyjacker was the best bang for the buck. This is a clean Arizona truck, so I have no intentions on wheeling the snot out of it. I live in Ohio, so it will only see daily driver/light wheeling/hauling duty during the decent months of the year. The kit is all four springs, hydro shocks, pitman arm, front and rear extended brake lines, and steering stabilizer.

I like when the owners of brand new 4x4 trucks look over at my old pick-up truck and give me the thumbs up, but most probably don't even know what they're looking at. I paid less for this truck in total, than probably at least three of their monthly payments combined, LoL...

I DON'T like that the owners of brand new 4X4 trucks are looking DOWN at me though, LoL... The Jeep truck does seem to sit quite a bit lower than newer trucks, and I would like to be at least eye to eye with them. My truck came with white wagon wheels and 32" tires on it, and the wheel wells are pretty full. I think it will look better lifted, and give me more tire clearance. It will also allow me to install my Western turbine aluminum wheels with 33" tires too.

Anyway, yesterday I jacked the truck up and put jackstands under the frame, letting the suspension droop, and douched all of the fasteners I'll need to un-bolt with PB Blaster. I'll get started on it in the next several days. Happy Holidays!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
1977 Jeep J20, 360, T18, D20, D44, D60, 4:10s

sierrablue

Re: Got my new lift kit!

Post by sierrablue »

Sweet!

I kinda like sitting lower than those trucks--makes it more ironic when I plow through a 3' snow drift they get stuck in :D

I hate the height of the new trucks--not the height of all of the truck (although that does suck), but the fact that if I get in one, I'm 6' 1" tall and have nearly 1' of clearance with the seat at mid-height. Like, at that point, cut 6-8" out of the roof, and magically your mileage will be 25 mpg in the V8 trucks...
Last edited by sierrablue on Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Great looking truck!

I get it, mine has 3" of lift and 33's and still is significantly lower than my 19' F350, I need to park them side by side and get a pic. I hate how tall new trucks are, makes working out of them a PITA, but they look cool LOL.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
J7M46sn

Post by J7M46sn »

Skyjacker sent me the correct U-bolt that was missing from the kit. So, I feel good that they are reputable to work with. Also, the springs say 'Made in the USA', I'm glad about that too!
Mike
1977 Jeep J20, 360, T18, D20, D44, D60, 4:10s