Phil's 79 Waggie

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
gixxerphil

Re: Phil's 79 Waggy

Post by gixxerphil »

243 wrote:Brings back good memories, my 79 looked almost identical but baby blue. I kid you not, I had more waves, thumbs up's and smiles driving the Waggie than all other vehicles I have driven in 40 years. I have owned a lot and many classics but for whatever reason, the Waggie was a hit.

I figured if I dump a lot of money into this, it's still cheaper than a new one......and it looks a whole lot better :D
I plan to just take it slow and replace everything, I basically want a "new" Waggie. I'm just not a fan of many new vehicles these days. All the plastic ruins them.

Topic author
gixxerphil

Post by gixxerphil »

Does anyone have a clue what I should do next? I replaced the fuel filter(made sure the return line was at the 12 o'clock position). It starts to sputter at 45, if I try and give it gas, it starts sputtering like crazy. I've changed all fluids(not even sure if that was needed, just figured it needed it). Like I said, I am by no means a vehicle mechanic, just wanting to learn.

The smell from the exhaust kinda reminds me of a 2-stroke dirt bike if that helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYprOn9R ... 2dBqzSXIfQ

COLORADOCRAWLER

Post by COLORADOCRAWLER »

Timing/vacuum advance, ignition module going bad, starving for fuel (rust/debris clogging pickup sock in tank, dirty malfunctioning carb)? Lots of potential problems with these old rigs, that's why I switched to a fuel injected motor :D

Good luck with your rig.
-Rick
87' GW 5.3/4l60E/NP241C, Dakota Digital dash, high steer, 31's, still needs a bigfoot gas pedal to tie it all together.
90' YJ 3 link coils front, 4 link double triangulated coils rear, D44s, ARBs, 4.56, 35's

Topic author
gixxerphil

Re: Phil's 79 Waggie

Post by gixxerphil »

Can anyone tell me what size these retaining clips for the rear window are? I would like to be able to pick them up locally and not pay as much for shipping as the part.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

will e

Post by will e »

I just ordered a pair from grandwagoneer dot com. I was at the local ACE today and wondered if they may have something that works.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
gixxerphil

Post by gixxerphil »

will e wrote:I just ordered a pair from grandwagoneer dot com. I was at the local ACE today and wondered if they may have something that works.

Yeah, it's 5.95 for the part and 6.95 shipping :banghead:

BJ's wants 2.00 for the part and 13.61 shipping.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Someone on IFSJA got washers that fit the studs and then put c clip retainers into the grooves. It sounds like they are easier to use then the stock retainers. measure the size of the pin and get the next smaller clip. :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
gixxerphil

Post by gixxerphil »

I finally oredered all the stuff for the TFI upgrade. I got it from Advanceauto. It was a little over $100.
http://fsjeep.homestead.com/TFI_Upgade.html

If anyone is interested, you can use a promo code(always good) TRT30 for 30% off or TRT41 for $40 off over a $100. I got a bigger discount by using the TRT30 code. All you have to do is either use "pick up a store" or "ship"(they had free shipping, so that's what I used).

Last edited by gixxerphil on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
gixxerphil

Post by gixxerphil »

I had to pour a little gas into the carb to get the Waggie to start....bad mistake....I obviously poured too much :shock: :mrgreen:
I just told the mechanic to get it where I could jump in and drive it a few hrs up the interstate without worry.....we shall see what it brings :fsj:

Topic author
gixxerphil

Post by gixxerphil »

Ok, I need a bit of help. The #1 cylinder has a burnt valve/ring, and 2-8 have low compression. I'm torn b/t having it rebuilt and just buying another motor. My question is, what 360's will be a direct fit for the 79 model?

lobie

Post by lobie »

gixxerphil wrote:Ok, I need a bit of help. The #1 cylinder has a burnt valve/ring, and 2-8 have low compression. I'm torn b/t having it rebuilt and just buying another motor. My question is, what 360's will be a direct fit for the 79 model?
I believe any amc 360'will work.
77 Wagoneer | 6.0 | TH400 | NP205 | Sterling 10.5 | Dana 60
07 6.7 Cummins 2500 4wd

http://www.lobie4x4.com
http://www.cfsjc.com

Topic author
gixxerphil

Post by gixxerphil »

lobie wrote:
gixxerphil wrote:Ok, I need a bit of help. The #1 cylinder has a burnt valve/ring, and 2-8 have low compression. I'm torn b/t having it rebuilt and just buying another motor. My question is, what 360's will be a direct fit for the 79 model?
I believe any amc 360'will work.

Topic author
gixxerphil

Post by gixxerphil »

The mechanic is gonna charge $250 to rebuild the motor(me buying parts), he's also gonna let me help/learn how to do it.
Can anyone suggest a master rebuild kit? Is it better to buy a whole kit or piece one together? :fsj:

I have searched google and I don't really know the difference b/t them as far as quality goes. I don't mind searching for the best price, I just want to get a good quality kit.

Any help is much appreciated :-bd

Topic author
gixxerphil

Post by gixxerphil »

Ok, to my understanding, this is a list of what's needed to rebuild my motor.

•Piston Set
•Piston Ring Set
•Rod Bearing Set
•Main Bearing Set
•Camshaft Bearing Set
•Camshaft
•Lifters
•Timing Kit
•Oil Pump
•Freeze Plug Set
•Full Gasket Set

Is there anything else I should add to it? I'm not looking for HP, I just want it to be drivable.
This is the kit I'm looking at.
http://www.rpmmachine.com/shop/index.ph ... tail&p=701

Are there any that are better quality I should look for? I don't want to throw a bunch of cheap parts in there, I'd rather just do this once.

Topic author
gixxerphil

Post by gixxerphil »

She goes under the knife tomorrow. I decided, on the advice of the mechanic, to just rebuild the motor that's in the Waggie. He's gonna let me be cheap help and learn while it happens.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

gixxerphil wrote:Can anyone tell me what size these retaining clips for the rear window are? I would like to be able to pick them up locally and not pay as much for shipping as the part.
To make your life easier, cut two holes in your tailgate to access the pins these go on. Go to Ace and but three 7/16" E clips (two to use, one to loose) and two 7/16" nylon washers. Then take the two original clips and throw them across the room (you will do this eventually anyway).
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Topic author
gixxerphil

Post by gixxerphil »

csuengr wrote:
To make your life easier, cut two holes in your tailgate to access the pins these go on. Go to Ace and but three 7/16" E clips (two to use, one to loose) and two 7/16" nylon washers. Then take the two original clips and throw them across the room (you will do this eventually anyway).

Thanks for the info :-bd I bought a new window lifter, so I don't even have the original clips :mrgreen:
I will use my googlefu to find where I need to cut the holes.

Topic author
gixxerphil

Post by gixxerphil »

Got a good bit done today(or in my mind anyway :D ) Gonna need a new radiator, flywheel, and carb. Someone put a 2 barrel carb on for some reason. It has a 4 barrel intake.

Reason for the rebuild :mrgreen:

Topic author
gixxerphil

Post by gixxerphil »

The motor is back from the machine shop. He now has the heads. I have ordered a bunch of parts.
New ignition control module, aluminum radiator, rad hoses, master brake cylinder, aluminum intake, Holley Street Avenger, etc.

I got some painting done on the inner fender

rherndon

Post by rherndon »

csuengr wrote:
gixxerphil wrote:Can anyone tell me what size these retaining clips for the rear window are? I would like to be able to pick them up locally and not pay as much for shipping as the part.
Is it even possible to reinstall the window retainer clips without cutting a hole? I am having trouble getting the clip off to unattach my window.

Am I missing something?
'76 Wagoneer w/401; Restoration in progress