Accelerator Pump/Fuel Pump

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Walter

Accelerator Pump/Fuel Pump

Post by Walter »

I hope this doesn't post twice. I messed up some how and cannot find my previous post. But here goes again anyway.
I have a 360 with 4 barrel Holley in a 1983 Cherokee. The carb has been rebuilt and the vehicle cranks and runs fine. However, when I accelerate too quickly it will hesitate and almost stall. I have heard others talk about this problem relating to an acclerator pump. My AMC service manual does not list an acclerator pump, only the fuel pump. Am I missing something here? Where do I look to start correcting this potential problem?
Any guidance?

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Accelerator Pump/Fuel Pump

Post by Stuka »

The accelerator pump is inside the carb. This can be adjusted to shoot fuel in faster/slower depending on the engine. Basically when you hit the throttle, and the throttle opens, the accelerator pump shoots fuel into the engine to prevent a lean state (the stumper you mention). Although its also possible its set too high and is shooting in too much fuel.

Does your carb have mechanical or vacuum secondaries? As they can also change what may be causing the stumble.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Walter

Post by Walter »

I know nothing about carbs but had a friend rebuild it so I will get him to check up on it for me. I was assuming the fuel pump was unable to get the amount of fuel into the carb as quickly as needed. I am sure if it is in the carb he will know how to adjust it. Thanks for the help.

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Refer to this page http://www.holley.com/TechService/ListNumber.asp to find where to look for the list number/part number for your particular carb.

From that it can be determined what setting and what accel pump cam you should have, here http://www.holley.com/TechService/Instructions.asp.