1963 Wagoneer Fuel Sending Unit

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Brock

1963 Wagoneer Fuel Sending Unit

Post by Brock »

Looking for a fuel sending unit for my 63 Wagoneer. Can't seem to locate one online. Maybe I'm missing it?

A point in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Thank you

letank

Re: 1963 Wagoneer Fuel Sending Unit

Post by letank »

You can reach and pull the fuel gauge sender's wire from the driver's side rear wheel well, unplug and check for continuity with your dash gauge wire to be sure that a broken wire is not the issue, then test the gauge and I suspect that an early 70's sender is a good match. BJsoffroad can probably help you on parts compatibility.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Yes, I would expect the sender to be the same at least through 1970. MTS says it's the same sender, '62-77 http://www.mtscompany.com/J-truck.htm The aftermarket parts listings are full of errors and omissions for cars this old, especially an oddball like a Wagoneer.

I suggest that you go here http://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html and look at the 1962-1973 J-series parts manual. Get the Jeep part number for what you need and cross that to an existing offering using Google/Bing ("Jeep <the part number>") or on RockAuto (part number search). That parts book has an odd format, with all the pictures in the first section and the listings after. Get the group (should be group 3 or 4) and item number from the picture, then go to the listings to get the PN for your application.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Brock

Post by Brock »

According to BJ's Offroad, the '63-'69 Wagoneers have a unique sending unit that is not currently available. I was advised to source a good used unit or try and locate a NOS part.

My sending unit is shot. Severe corrosion of the resistor and float.

The search must go on.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The float is easy - a replacement should clip in to the bail. Either use the plastic float from a modern sender or buy a brass replacement part for a Ford. Here's an example - http://www.cjponyparts.com/fuel-tank-se ... 973/p/FSUF

It's probably the plate that sets on top of the tank that's different from the later ones. If you can post a picture or two, we may be able to comment on modifying the later sender to work for this application. I would guess that the part you need is no different electrically than the later part, since MTS says their tank and sender will work for '62-77. The TSM for the early years will list the resistances at empty, half and full, and we can compare those to be sure.

If this were for me, I would buy what's available and figure out how to make it work. You could either combine parts from the old and new to make one functioning unit, or modify the new part to work in place of the old.

Is the plate held with screws? I suspect this is the problem. Later senders use a lock ring.

This is a CJ-5 sender for up through 1965 -

If this is the right plate design, you could probably make it work by extending the float arm. A piece of brass tubing with the right ID (hobby shop) and a little solder would work ...
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

SemperFIGuy

Post by SemperFIGuy »

I bought an MTS unit for my 80 CJ with an aftermarket tank. Called MTS for help, as I needed a new gauge as well, they were very helpful and knowledgeable, come to find out through conversation and giving them the dimensions of my tank it was an MTS tank as well, so that made life easier. Anyways the unit was received promptly, and is of good craftsmanship, but there customer service was world's apart in helping me get all the components I needed. My set up includes, MTS tank, sending unit, FoMoCo gauge, because it matched the Jeep ohms spec for empty and full. Can't speak highly enough of them.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Topic author
Brock

Post by Brock »

Thank you for the prompt replies.

I was able to locate a NOS sending unit on eBay. It should arrive early next week.

I'll post a picture of the old and new units to show just how nasty the old one was.