Quadratrac Vacuum Switch?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
loganobrien121

Quadratrac Vacuum Switch?

Post by loganobrien121 »

Hey guys,

Chipping away at the wag - finally got the glovebox open (with a hammer and screwdriver, of course) after trying all of the 30 keys I was given when I bought the car (funny enough - I don't know what the keys are for. It doesn't have locks and didn't have an ignition cylinder!)

Anyway, the glovebox is.... nonexistent. So now I'm wondering: did all wags have the vacuum switch for the QT? Because mine definitely doesn't and I'm not entirely sure if that's a bad sign or not.

Between that and the fact the front locking hubs were in the "free" position makes me question the livelihood of that poor transfer case.

Thanks!

EDIT: And if any of you guys know where one could find a new lock for the glovebox cover, that'd be great. Asking for an uh... impatient friend who thinks hammers and brute force are the solutions to most problems.
"Betty Blue"
'71 Wag
Buick 350/TH400/D20

"The Bride of Frankenstein"
Green and some uh rust... color...
'73 Wagoneer.
360/TH400

jsinajeep

Re: Quadratrac Vacuum Switch?

Post by jsinajeep »

PM me your email address and I will send pictures of both.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Why not post them in the forum? Then everyone with an interest will benefit.

All Borg-Warner Quadratracs came with emergency drive. The low range unit was optional, and not available with the 258.

This is the e-drive switch in the glove boxx -

No Quadratrac Jeep came with locking hubs ever. Someone added them. If the transfer case has not been modified with a part-time kit, unlocking the hubs without switching into e-drive will ruin the transfer case. You need to know for certain whether this transfer case is part-time converted, and whether it's in e-drive or out of e-drive.

There is lots of information at the Jubilee Jeeps site - http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac/ - including the chapter from the TSM about the Quadratrac. Do your homework and read it all, then go back and read it again. That will answer all your questions.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

The 73 may have more likely the smaller knob control on the left side of the glove box. It is only the center piece, the dial knob of the pict above

in jubilee jeep it is in the vacuum diagram

Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

ferrum

Post by ferrum »

My vacuum switch in glove compartment had developed vacuum leak. It is currently bypassed to normal drive mode and switch is not in the glove box for easy access. Look near the vacuum tank in the firewall for three skinny vacuum hoses. This will at least confirm that you have vacuum hoses penetrating into the cab. Once you locate the vacuum hoses, you can follow the hoses down to the vacuum diaphragm in the TC.
My jeep is not equipped with locking hubs as it is full-time.
'76 Cherokee Chief

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

A member came up with a cool cable operated setup for the E-Drive. I forget who it was though...
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

It's here - http://www.fullsizejeep.com/1024/transfer.htm - linked on the Jubilee Jeeps page I cited above.

The Jubilee Jeeps site is a great resource for Quadratrac owners - definitely worth your studious attention.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.