Brutus 2.0

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
BRUTUS

Re: Brutus 2.0

Post by BRUTUS »

j20brett wrote:I would not buy the 5.3 in pieces, personally. You can pick up a full takeout for $500 to 600 with ecm, harness and all. The small parts add up quick.
I am exchanging a core for a new motor with a warranty. Basically, Scott bought a used 5.3 and had it in the Super Chief for a year maybe and he spun a bearing. Then used it as his core return for a new motor through Autozone that has a 3 year warranty with ZERO miles. He also let me know that the original motor had many heat stressed/cracked weathertight connections and the new motor did not. That is why he also purchased a new harness from Painless with new weathertight connections. Worst case is that I can go pick up the missing items at a local junkyard. I like the advise and want to do this only one time.

From what I can tell online, full engine setups with 150K+ miles on them go for $800-$1200 so I would assume that they will be a little cheaper at a junkyard. I would rather spend the extra money for a warranty than take the chance.
Stuka wrote:
BRUTUS wrote:What kind of seats are these? custom seat mounts or original?
The seats themselves are Bestop Aqua seats that Bestop does NOT make replacement neoprene covers :banghead: for them. I had them for ~10 years before the neoprene really started to degrade and open up. I wanted to replace the covers before they completely opened up so that templates could be made from the original neoprene panels.

The seat mounts are the original FSJ sliders for bucket seats. Classic Jeep engineering made the FSJ sliders with nearly identical seat bolt pattern to that of the CJ's so after opening up the holes just slightly, they worked great.
'74 J30 with some upgrades

j20brett

Post by j20brett »

Cool, I do understand. Hard to beat a brand new motor!
"Kaiser" - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

j20brett wrote:Cool, I do understand. Hard to beat a brand new motor!
I talked with the guy from Craigslist and he wants $400 for all the components so I figure I am well ahead of the curve there. Arranging to pick the parts up this weekend in Colorado Springs.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

BRUTUS wrote:
j20brett wrote:Cool, I do understand. Hard to beat a brand new motor!
I talked with the guy from Craigslist and he wants $400 for all the components so I figure I am well ahead of the curve there. Arranging to pick the parts up this weekend in Colorado Springs.
Hey if you are gonna be in the Springs this weekend, see if you can stop by Penrose. We are running indy/patriot at dusk on Saturday evening...

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

Blake wrote:Hey if you are gonna be in the Springs this weekend, see if you can stop by Penrose. We are running indy/patriot at dusk on Saturday evening...
I might be able to do that. Not sure if I will have Erica, Garrett or Whiskey with me though. Roughly what time just in case... starting at dusk or are you gonna get ants in your pants and start it at 2:00 LOL? Have you gotten a HAM radio yet so I could call you when I get there?

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

BRUTUS wrote:
Blake wrote:Hey if you are gonna be in the Springs this weekend, see if you can stop by Penrose. We are running indy/patriot at dusk on Saturday evening...
I might be able to do that. Not sure if I will have Erica, Garrett or Whiskey with me though. Roughly what time just in case... starting at dusk or are you gonna get ants in your pants and start it at 2:00 LOL? Have you gotten a HAM radio yet so I could call you when I get there?
There is cell service there. We are doing some work on trucks in preparation, plus my GF has to work, so we aren't gonna leave the Denver area until 5pm ish. So shooting for some rock crawling right around dusk....

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

Progress is being made on the financial front so the pace should pick up here pretty quickly.

So I missed Blake this last weekend even though I was in Colorado Springs twice on Saturday... But I was able to make arrangements to pick up the motor and accessories. From what I can tell, I am missing the MAF sensor and the fan. That and I got a flex plate instead of a pressure plate.

I also had a thought this weekend... I am going to use this motor to mockup everything and when I feel that everything is adequately located, then I will order the new engine. I don't want to waste the first year of the warranty mocking everything up! Also, this allows me to push out the large cash investment for the project and I can focus on purchasing the small things in the meantime that would hold up the initial startup of the engine if I did it the other way around.
Last edited by BRUTUS on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

Weird... my weekend update post didn't actually post at all so I will try to replicate it now...

I got the motor mounted on some homemade stands and lifted on to my weld table so I can work on it. I got the accessories, stock exhaust manifolds, oil pan, dipstick & spark plugs installed and here is how she currently sits:

I hope this weekend to dig out the NV4500 and get it mounted up. Then my goal is to look into the starter mount and the hydraulic clutch parts. My part purchasing is on a freeze until my re-finance goes through so that there are no changes in my credit score so I am trying to do as much with what I already have as possible.

First thing I want to get a handle on is motor mounts... BJ's has a kit, Novac has the same or very similar kit and then (as GaJeep94YJ mentioned) JeepinPete's mounts. I like the BJ's/Novac mounts because they allow for some slop when dropping the motor in as opposed to the JeepinPete mounts that front/back AND up/down and angle alignment are all super rigid. I guess it isn't the end of the world though as I don't plan on removing/installing the motor that many times at all. I am trying to be so cost conscious because I want to do nearly the same swap to my wife's waggy in the near future as well.

Motor mount links:
BJ's Kit http://www.bjsoffroad.com/GM-Generation ... p_705.html
Novac Kit https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/eng ... ts/mmx-ng3
BJ's/Novac Bushings http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal ... ,1199.html
JeepinPete image removed

At this point, I still plan on fabricating my own mounts. Leaning toward the JeepinPete design but I am not going to run my weld any where near as far as he did because it will interfere with the washer on the bolts in those slots.

Junkyard list is coming together as well: harness, puller fan, intake shroud, intake pieces, MAF sensor, oxygen sensor(s), pressure plate (if I can find one)

Finally, I had this bracket in the box of parts that came with the engine that I don't know where it goes:
I did some searching and I think it is a tensioner bracket for the AC system and then I noticed the crack on the back side... good thing I'm not using it.
Last edited by BRUTUS on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

Keep those updates coming! Let me know if you need any help

Edit: that bracket does not look familiar. Didnt have one on my 2001 LS and it had the AC compressor
Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

srobertsfsj wrote:Keep those updates coming! Let me know if you need any help

Edit: that bracket does not look familiar. Didnt have one on my 2001 LS and it had the AC compressor
I caught a glance of the idler pulley and arm on the lower passenger side of the LM7 in some pictures. I still don't know how it goes on but I was able to find a mounted picture.

picture removed for non-relevence

It kinda makes sense to me that since I don't have a belt on that inside set of grooves on the crank pulley, and the grooved width on the crank pulley roughly matches the tensioner pulley on the bracket, and the compressor would need its own tensioner since it is on it's own belt... it all makes sense.
Last edited by BRUTUS on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Chris Thompson makes some great LS swap mounts. Have you seen his?

Edit: Here's one of his ads on the association. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=179464
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

j20owner

Post by j20owner »

That bracket is the A/C compressor mounting bracket. The part you have facing up (where you noticed the crack) is the side that bolts to the block as in your second picture. If you're not running A/C, you don't need it.
Tatsadasayago wrote:And here i thought Capitalism was hitting the Shift Key...

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

Nikkormat wrote:Chris Thompson makes some great LS swap mounts. Have you seen his?

Edit: Here's one of his ads on the association. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=179464
Thanks for the link. I'm 100% gonna make them myself. BJ's and Novac would have you think that it is very difficult to properly align... JeepinPete and Chris Thompson make it seem so easy a caveman could do it... LOL
j20owner wrote:That bracket is the A/C compressor mounting bracket. The part you have facing up (where you noticed the crack) is the side that bolts to the block as in your second picture. If you're not running A/C, you don't need it.
I tried lining it up again and you are right. My problem is that my motor stand is in the way of it being mounted. Might need this bracket on my wife's waggy engine build though.

Quick update:

I got the starter installed, the serpentine tensioner and the accessories bracket tightened down, serpentine belt installed, pilot bushing machined down to size and installed, throw out bearing installed, purchased and installed the factory bolts for the bell housing to engine block.

MULTITUDES OF PROBLEMS!
1) the ID of the pilot bushing was right on after I emory clothed the tranny pilot shaft, the OD of the pilot bushing was 0.010" too big to fit in the crank. I had to make a jig to hold the pilot bushing just so that I could hold it to machine it down. I ended up taking 0.012" off the OD. Final dimensions were 1.088" OD x .588" ID X .75" long

2) purchased a flywheel/pressure plate for the '96 transmission because the 5.3L was never offered with the NV4500 tranny. Pressure plate does NOT have proper back spacing to the block. Pressure plate does not have the correct bolt circle diameter OR bolt pattern to match the crank output flange. All things I take for granted BECAUSE they are Chevy parts and are supposed to be interchangeable. According to Blake, I have to get the pressure plate from Advanced Adapters. Some decent info about it here http://www.advanceadapters.com/downloads/712500M.pdf. Pretty sure this is what I need to purchase. This is the best orientation I could come up with and because the bolt circle is wrong, none will line up.

3) installed the starter and there is a fairly large opening into the bell housing that I will have to make a cover for after I install the clutch slave cylinder in the lower opening.

4) the bell housing I have is missing the top hole... Which I will just machine out so that a flanged bolt can still hold them together. That combined with the block missing a tapped hole to the right of the center is a little shaky as far as support. Basically, I have 5 out of 7 bolts to hold the bell housing on. Will have to see if the new block comes with that hole tapped or not... Otherwise, I will drill and tap it on the mill... Probably shallow threads with a bottoming tap!

All things considered, it was a good weekend. I barely got to turn my attention to the NP203. It needs the new input shaft installed and then it can be fit up to the NV4500. Hopefully I haven't lost any of the roller bearings for that shaft!
Last edited by BRUTUS on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:11 am, edited 6 times in total.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

BRUTUS wrote: Thanks for the link. I'm 100% gonna make them myself. BJ's and Novac would have you think that it is very difficult to properly align... JeepinPete and Chris Thompson make it seem so easy a caveman could do it... LOL
That should come as no surprise to anyone who has seen the front driveshaft on BRUTUS! :fsj:
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

GaJeep94YJ

Re: RE: Re: Brutus 2.0

Post by GaJeep94YJ »

Nikkormat wrote:Chris Thompson makes some great LS swap mounts. Have you seen his?

This is the guy I was taking about. For $100 for the mounts it's not worth the time to make them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

GaJeep94YJ

Post by GaJeep94YJ »

For the bell housing bolt at 2 o'clock. Be careful drilling that out. I've heard there is a water jacket behind it.

It's not used on my 4l60e so I don't know for sure, but I seem to remember that so you might want to do some research on it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Topic author
BRUTUS

Re: RE: Re: Brutus 2.0

Post by BRUTUS »

Nikkormat wrote:That should come as no surprise to anyone who has seen the front driveshaft on BRUTUS! :fsj:
Thanks.
GaJeep94YJ wrote:This is the guy I was taking about. For $100 for the mounts it's not worth the time to make them.
So there are a number of reasons that I will make my own... 1) I have a laser at work and can get the material for free. 2) I am a design engineer by trade and have all the software/experience to do these very effectively. 3) I can compound my savings by doing a second set for my wife's waggy at the same time. 4) I have many other parts that I need to have cut for a number of other projects so these won't be an issue at all. 5) I have plenty of time and can take any shipping issues out of the equation.
GaJeep94YJ wrote:For the bell housing bolt at 2 o'clock. Be careful drilling that out. I've heard there is a water jacket behind it.

It's not used on my 4l60e so I don't know for sure, but I seem to remember that so you might want to do some research on it
I'll do some research on it as I am SURE there is waterjacket behind it. If you look at it though, there is at least a half inch of boss material before it changes contour to the block. My thought is that if I peck drilled it and happened to break through on the drill point, I could drop some weld in the bottom and seal it back up. Then when I tap the hole, I will chase the threads with a bottoming tap just to get as much grip as I can get!

Maybe I should just drill this "core" engine and find out where the waterjacket is... :evil:

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

looking good man!

sorry I wasn't able to talk much the other day, lots of stuff is going on. gimme a call sometime.

I think you will like the AA parts, except for the price that is. But you gotta pay if you wanna play (and want it done right)

j20owner

Post by j20owner »

I know of several combinations running around without the 12 o'clock or the 2 o'clock bolt installed with no problems. No need to make extra work for yourself.
Tatsadasayago wrote:And here i thought Capitalism was hitting the Shift Key...

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

Blake wrote:looking good man!

sorry I wasn't able to talk much the other day, lots of stuff is going on. gimme a call sometime.

I think you will like the AA parts, except for the price that is. But you gotta pay if you wanna play (and want it done right)
No worries man. I know you are busy just like the rest of us.
The price does suck but my problem is that I already have a clutch kit that I cannot return the one that I got for the old 4bolt main 350 block in my garage. The Advanced Adapters kit COMES with a Luk clutch (with all the fixins) and I cannot find an option on their website to buy the pressure plate by itself. I will give them a call and see if they would separate. Worst case, I can see if the older clutch will bolt onto their pressure plate and just keep it in reserve.
j20owner wrote:I know of several combinations running around without the 12 o'clock or the 2 o'clock bolt installed with no problems. No need to make extra work for yourself.
Good to know. Maybe I won't mess with it then. Those are the hardest ones to get anyways if you are trying to take a bell housing off the engine when they are installed in a truck so I'm good without them.