Cleaning up the rats nest of hoses in the engine bay

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Charles Kline

Cleaning up the rats nest of hoses in the engine bay

Post by Charles Kline »

This drives me crazy.

between some goofy wiring by the PO, the AIR system, and the excessive Vac lines its hard to tell what is what here.

I replaced my PCV over the weekend and I want to start sorting this mess up.

Any idea what this is? It connects inline between the coolant switch and the EGR.

My '79 with 360 came from California and supposedly has more emission stuff then others...

letank

Re: Cleaning up the rats nest of hoses in the engine bay

Post by letank »

Charles Kline wrote:
Any idea what this is? It connects inline between the coolant switch and the EGR.

My '79 with 360 came from California and supposedly has more emission stuff then others...
EGR circuit bleed valve to relief excess vacuum or something like that, it is MIA on the 85
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Is there a 7 digit number on it, maybe starting with 323?

It's on your vacuum diagram, if you look at the right one. I assume you do not have your own copy of the '79 TSM. There is a digital copy on the Tom Collins site now. Look at page V-16 and forward. They call it a "VSD valve" for what I don't know (vacuum supply dump?) It's a dump valve - if there were anything about it in the TSM, it would be in Fuel System - EGR. The '82 TSM has a section about them.

When you say "clean up" do you mean remove a bunch of it or put it back the way it came from the factory? It looks fine to me ... study the manual and it will become less mysterious, and you'll have less trouble with the "clutter."
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

I think I'm going to take out the AIR system- not rip it out just remove it. Pre '81 emission test is just a probe in the tail pipe so I'm probably good without it.

I also want to look at things like the if the VSD was eliminated in later years I want to delete it as well.

I've not been one to rip out emissions stuff just because its emission stuff. But in the case of the FSJ i think simpler is better.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

It's a propane burner for cans like pork and beans or a small coffee pot.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

ShagWagon wrote:It's a propane burner for cans like pork and beans or a small coffee pot.
hilarious.

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

This confirms that I have the California emissions stuff. I have that VSD valve and the check valves. There is actually a 2nd check valve on that Tee'd off live of the VSD on mine.