oil dipstick

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
jjbuettner

oil dipstick

Post by jjbuettner »

So I recently replaced the valve covers and gaskets in my jeep they look great, i will post pics later. While finishing up i noticed that my oil dipstick became dislodged and broken. I am looking for any instructions and advice to fix my oil dipstick. i have seen some videos on older amc 360s (70s) but what about the 80s v8.
Betty-2004.5 LLY Duramax CCSB tough as nails.....
Gator-1980FSJ J10 360,727,d44&amc20 Tougher Than Betty......

Dusty

Re: oil dipstick

Post by Dusty »

You will have to get an oil pan gasket,and take it down to tap out the remaining part of the tube from the block. There was a guy on the mother board that made a really cool oil dip stick tube installer. I bought one of them, as I grew tired of trying to use a small wrench to pound them in.
Anyway that tool works extremely well, and it was worth the money to buy it. HE also made a great youtube video on installation as well.

Unfortunately you should put your old valve cover on the drivers side, and use the little metal tab that holds the dipstick tube to the side of the engine, for accurate alignment of the tube into the pan. You can later put o your cool aftermarket valve covers, but the factory ones allow for proper alignment.
Once your done you have to slightly modify the tab (elongate the hole) to attach it to the valve cover bolt there.
If God is your co-pilot, you need to switch seats!

Bigbadjeep

Post by Bigbadjeep »

A lot of the time it breaks at the bump where it goes in the block. So if you can get a pair of pliers on it and yank it out that would be best. Mine came out that way. No need to drop the pan for me. And the dipstick I took a file to it and took some material off where it goes in the block. Then use the wrench and tapped it in from the top. Then I made a tab to mount it to the valve cover, so it won't wiggle and have pressure on it when you pull it out to check the oil.
1984 J10
360, 727, Amc20, 44 Up front
Thorly tri Y, Edelbrock Manifold, Cam, and Carb
Skyjacker 4" Softride, 35×12.50 BFG Mud

Topic author
jjbuettner

Re: oil dipstick43

Post by jjbuettner »

Thank you very much, and the factory valve cover makes sense, I wouldn't have thought of that. As for the video I saw that on youtube but dont really know if i need to buy an extra tool just for one install... for this case of the dipstick it did infact break off where the bump is. Luckly i live near an auto skills center so i will be working on it there, in the mean time before i start it up i will buy some foamy ear plugs and squeeze one in there to prevent oil from coming out as i drive it over. currently i will be working on the wheel hub and bearings on the front axle.

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Where in SOCAL are you?

We are up in Wrightwood, and I come down to La for work all the time. I have one of those tools.
If God is your co-pilot, you need to switch seats!

babywag

Re: oil dipstick43

Post by babywag »

jjbuettner wrote:Thank you very much, and the factory valve cover makes sense, I wouldn't have thought of that. As for the video I saw that on youtube but dont really know if i need to buy an extra tool just for one install... for this case of the dipstick it did infact break off where the bump is. Luckly i live near an auto skills center so i will be working on it there, in the mean time before i start it up i will buy some foamy ear plugs and squeeze one in there to prevent oil from coming out as i drive it over. currently i will be working on the wheel hub and bearings on the front axle.
If you have access to a mig welder, you can usually weld a small bolt to it, and should be able to work it out?
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
jjbuettner

Post by jjbuettner »

i was going to try the screw and pull out method... giggity. or if that fails pieces like i had to do with a manual locking hub.

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

Not technically the same but I just had this issue with a 318 in a buddy's Duster. I tapped a small screwdriver between block and tube crushing it in some and then screwed a 5/16" lag screw into it and then used a pair of vise grips and a hammer to persuade it out. Plenty of guys said to drive it into pan if it would go there is no way it's gonna get picked up by oil system.
1972 Dodge Demon with a 451" stroker Big Block
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 360" AKA Golddigger- SOLD
2003 Dodge Crewcab 2500 Cummins longbed 4x4
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 full time 4x4

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

Topic author
jjbuettner

Post by jjbuettner »

Dusty wrote:Where in SOCAL are you?

We are up in Wrightwood, and I come down to La for work all the time. I have one of those tools.
Oh I'm in a beautiful place called 29 palms....smh....

Topic author
jjbuettner

Post by jjbuettner »

I got it, some light tapping g and now it's out the bull tear is in. It's only in two inches couldn't get it to the flange... but it works. Now with this pressure running at a solid 40, my rear main seal is dropping oil.... sigh