78 j20 build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
j20seyller

78 j20 build

Post by j20seyller »

So my grandpa bought this truck Brand new in 78 and has owned it since back in new Mexico and was driven daily and worked until 11 years ago when we moved here to MO and has sat in the shop ever since. Recently me and dad have gotten around to trying to restore it and build it. It's going to be a slow build since I'm still in high school and me and dad only are able to work on weekends, but I do plan to make this a dd but still be able to show up the trucks here in town that's Never even known of it. And an occasional sled pull.

Now the specs are:
Amc 360 168000 miles
4 speed
ALL original.

Now my question before I start the build is; should I keep the stock 360 and keep it all original with a nice rebuild? I plan .030 over bore, forged weisco flat tops port and polished stock heads, edelbrock air gap, Holly avenger 750 cfm carb, k1 rods, main studs, head studs, oil mods, roller rockers, comp cam (not sure what to run), full msd ignition, and headers.

The other option is trans dapt motor mounts for sbc/bbc/4.3 for the j series and a bbc to swap in.

I'm not sure where to start or what the combo should consist of, and I'm reaching out to the fsj gurus and others for imput. Afterwards, the build will begin.

And keep in consideration I am a junior about to be senior in high school so I don't know everything but I do know more than the average bear.

Thanks, Eli.

1978 j20 360 4 speed

Topic author
j20seyller

Re: 78 j20 build

Post by j20seyller »

Some pics

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

jsinajeep

Re: 78 j20 build

Post by jsinajeep »

Good looking J truck