D44 Rear needs new gears; I'm out of state & my 18 year old daughter has the Jeep - Need guidance

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: D44 Rear needs new gears; I'm out of state & my 18 year old daughter has the Jeep - Need guidance

Post by Stuka »

csuengr wrote:It has a T-18 trans.
Oh, was going off the rig in your signature.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

KJ Ryu

Re: D44 Rear needs new gears; I'm out of state & my 18 year old daughter has the Jeep - Need guidance

Post by KJ Ryu »

Tatsadasayago wrote:With hand tools, three hours or so laying on the ground providing the cross pin isn't hammered so bad it won't come out.
It would be wise to look at the side gears as well since they take a beating from crappy spiders.

I'm glad it's not the ring and pinion!
It took me four hours, the first time I did one. You''ll be fine, SN.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Topic author
SkiingNinja

Post by SkiingNinja »

His sig or mine?

I'm almost positive that it is a T-18. Do you think it may be something else?

Sean
Stuka wrote:
[Cuttently with my daughter in Colorado] 1978 Jeep Cherokee w/ 360 4bbl and 4spd
[Sigh, sold] 1982 Toyota Truck w/ 22R and 5spd

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

A 78 Cherokee would have had a T-18. Later models with driver's side drop front ends used a T-176 I believe.
A 78 Cherk with a T-18 is a rare bird by the way.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

I also have a couple 3.92 and down carriers lying around.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

SkiingNinja wrote:His sig or mine?

I'm almost positive that it is a T-18. Do you think it may be something else?

Sean
Stuka wrote:
No, if you have a manual 4sp its a T18. If you had a QT, a slipping chain may make it seem like its the axles, but not actually them.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

as I was reading through this thread, I was thinking spider gears or ring gear bolts.

replacing those requires the removal/re-installation of the axle shafts. With all the cheap SET 10 (or is it SET 20?) chinese bearings out there, that scares me the most.

otherwise - replacing the spiders is fairly easy and straigh forward.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

There's always the quick and dirty fix for bad spiders, Lincoln locker!
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

REDONE wrote:There's always the quick and dirty fix for bad spiders, Lincoln locker!
I almost suggested the same thing but I doubt his daughter would like that on snow/ice.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

REDONE wrote:There's always the quick and dirty fix for bad spiders, Lincoln locker!
Yep.
KJ Ryu wrote:
I almost suggested the same thing but I doubt his daughter would like that on snow/ice.
And yep.

My vote is for a drop in locker, no shims or anything else to wear out. But that is squirly under throttle on ice as well.

Pretty cool that your daughter runs a Cherokee with a T18. I'm too big of a wuss to row a T18 in my Cherokee!
Based on that fact alone I'd say she'd not mind a locker in the snow.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
SkiingNinja

Post by SkiingNinja »

Thanks for everything you guys. I've had 3 days off in the last 6 weeks so my brain is all over the place :)

Can I get a vote or consensus based on the following parameters:

Inexpensive (unfortunately this is #1 - while I'm working a ton, I'm not in the black yet)
Quick job
Reasonably easy
What exactly should I order

I'll be in Fort Collins from May 26 to June 6. Any locals have some time to assist? The Jeep is right off Timberline and Harmony. I have access to tools where she sits (at a house). Beer provided (as if there were any question there!).

Another Option:
I'm willing to sell it so my daughter can get something else. This vehicle is one of my all time favorites that I've owned. Aside from this, there are no known mechanical issues. Less than 130k on the odo. I have service and maintenance records from 80k up to now.

Here's the Jeep and the kid in the snow and then in the summer. She calls it The Beast and her friends all think it is freaking awesome :mrgreen:

[Cuttently with my daughter in Colorado] 1978 Jeep Cherokee w/ 360 4bbl and 4spd

Topic author
SkiingNinja

Post by SkiingNinja »

I taught her on it so anything else she would likely ever drive would be cake :fsj:
Nikkormat wrote:Pretty cool that your daughter runs a Cherokee with a T18. I'm too big of a wuss to row a T18 in my Cherokee!
Based on that fact alone I'd say she'd not mind a locker in the snow.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-D ... PTX2410-LR

Not sure of they are chaeper than spider gears.

The ultimate cheap option is to weld the spiders together.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

It's a tough question to answer since I haven't seen it myself. It's possible that all you need is to replace the carrier internal gears:
https://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductD ... rodID=3449

If the bearings, carrier and R&P are good that's all you need and it's a very quick and easy job (relatively, there's no need to set up or measure, just lots of dissassembly and massaging the carrier back in without messing up the races). The downside is if the metal that's worn and broken off the spiders has damaged the bearings or the R&P; or if the carrier itself is cracked or won't let go of the cross pin you'll need those too. There's no way for me to say unless I've got your Jeeps blood on my hands. :ugeek:

I sent you a PM. Before you tear into this though, make REAL sure you have a regular open diff and not a TrashLok!
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

I'll be around. And like I said, I have two carriers lying around that are good.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Fear not.

I'm pretty mechanically retarded and have to do things over 2 and 3 times and can still never get my rig running right but I removed the carrier removed spider gears, swapped in a lunchbox locker (that apparently I did wrong because it drove like crap) then removed the carrier removed the locker and replaced the spider gears all in one day and even though I screwed up the locker it got everything out and in the way it should be and it all works fine.

So what I'm saying is if I can remove and replace spider gears, pretty much anybody can.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Topic author
SkiingNinja

Post by SkiingNinja »

Today I found out that circumstances have changed. I have no choice but to sell The Beast. This is extremely frustrating for me as all my dreams for it have been torn asunder.

I'll put together an ad for it tomorrow but in the meantime, if any locals are interested or know someone that is, send me an email or PM.

:banghead:

:cry:

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Do you mind if I ask what happened?

That sucks!

Topic author
SkiingNinja

Post by SkiingNinja »

That is, of course, very complicated. The TL;DR is:

My daughter was driving it and currently has no transportation. This has strained the relationships in the house she lives in as she has been asking for rides.

Unfortunately she doesn't have any "good" options. And so it has been decided by the female clan that the Jeep shall be sold. It is the right way to go for this circumstance but damn I'm bummed.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

SkiingNinja wrote:That is, of course, very complicated. The TL;DR is:

My daughter was driving it and currently has no transportation. This has strained the relationships in the house she lives in as she has been asking for rides.

Unfortunately she doesn't have any "good" options. And so it has been decided by the female clan that the Jeep shall be sold. It is the right way to go for this circumstance but damn I'm bummed.
*sad trombone* :cry: