trim rivets or inserts?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Jeff from Iowa

trim rivets or inserts?

Post by Jeff from Iowa »

Anyone sell the rivets or plugs whatever you want to call them to secure our trim? Id like to pull mine off to do some door ding repair and replace the vinyl and put it back on.

Thanks Jeff
90 Fsj. 5.3, 4l65,241. 4" lift, Custom valved Bilstien 5125 Shocks, Dakota Digital Dash, Bjs Radiator, Bjs aluminum tank,Viper remote start, power door locks, one touch rear window. Ac, Cruise, tow haul all work as they should. Fully restored oem wheels.

FSJ Guy

Re: trim rivets or inserts?

Post by FSJ Guy »

I wouldn't rivet the trim back on. Use double sided tape and a plug. Someone sells plugs, but you can make your own with a plug drill bit (hardware store should have them) and an extra length of trim.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
Jeff from Iowa

Post by Jeff from Iowa »

Id like the rivets. If I didn't I would buy the new aftermarket trim and not bother plugging any holes.
90 Fsj. 5.3, 4l65,241. 4" lift, Custom valved Bilstien 5125 Shocks, Dakota Digital Dash, Bjs Radiator, Bjs aluminum tank,Viper remote start, power door locks, one touch rear window. Ac, Cruise, tow haul all work as they should. Fully restored oem wheels.

Topic author
Jeff from Iowa

Post by Jeff from Iowa »

Nobody on here has removed and replaced the oem trim?

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I've replaced trim on several FSJs. Most got new rivets where needed. I popped out the old post, did the sheetmetal work then used new blind rivets. The plastic or natural wood plugs filled the holes in the trim and nobody was the wiser.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

If I was going to replace the trim, I wouldn't use the rivets because of possible rust issues on the holes in the bodywork.

Otherwise, I don't think the rivets are anything special.
Ethan Brady

Topic author
Jeff from Iowa

Post by Jeff from Iowa »

FSJ Guy wrote:If I was going to replace the trim, I wouldn't use the rivets because of possible rust issues on the holes in the bodywork.

Arent special? You must be talking about something else?

Not using them would leave open holes in your trim, I don't see how anyone would consider that acceptable and that surely could cause a rust issue?

Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Hey Jeff, Team Grand Wagoneer has the rivets but not the plugs. I like the idea of making plugs outta an extra trim piece! I'm painting my truck now and will be replacing the vinyl as well but I'm going with stainless steel rivets. Good luck! Go Hawks!!

Topic author
Jeff from Iowa

Post by Jeff from Iowa »

I guess Im the only one that wants to replace this stuff?!

Anyways here are some plugs... http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/woodgr ... 1984-1991/

Here are the rivets, which are just normal rivets you can buy a box of 100 for about $12....

Neither of these are what I was looking for they are NOT the same as the oem insert and plug that expands the insert. But maybe these will satisfy someone else.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Jeff from Iowa wrote:
FSJ Guy wrote:If I was going to replace the trim, I wouldn't use the rivets because of possible rust issues on the holes in the bodywork.

Arent special? You must be talking about something else?

Not using them would leave open holes in your trim, I don't see how anyone would consider that acceptable and that surely could cause a rust issue?
Sorry, I was thinking of not using rivets and just using a trim plug to cover the hole. No, you wouldn't want open holes in the trim.
Ethan Brady

Topic author
Jeff from Iowa

Post by Jeff from Iowa »

I see. If the holes are there not using them isn't going to lessen the rust possibilities.

The oem insert and expander is what I want, not the plugs and a rivet. Ill keep looking.

twmattox

Post by twmattox »

I have a bunch of plugs I am not going to use. Cover the shipping and they are yours.
'83 Scrambler (CJ-8) / 258 / T-5 / D-300 / DANA 30-AMC20 (3.31)
'88 Grand Wagoneer (SJ) / 360 / TF727 / NP229 / DANA 44 (2.73)
'05 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) / 4.0L / NSG 370 / NV231 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)
'11 Wrangler Unlimited (JKU) / 3.8L / 42 RLE / NV 241 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)