1979 Golden Eagle Build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
boone1882

1979 Golden Eagle Build

Post by boone1882 »

Hey guys, been on here a while now and had my Cherokee for almost a year but never got around posting a build thread. So I figured Id start now. Its a 1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle that someone at some point in time had started to restore/rebuild. I know this because floorboards were replaced and a new fuel tank had been installed. It has the Performer intake with a Edelbrock 1400 carb and I cant tell if someone has installed a mild cam or not. Diamond plate interior panels and some other nice upgrades. The guy I bought it from was a kid just out of high school that had had it for a couple months. I am assuming he had bought it from the person who did all the work.

So here is the day I bought it beside my 1997 Cherokee.

The next weekend I trailered it back to my parents house as I didn’t have room to store/work on it at an apartment. Some of you may remember my questions about getting a wide track Jeep on a trailer. Again thank you to everyone who helped get measurements and pictures. I had to borrow my girlfriends father's trailer as ours was to close for comfort. Here it is at 12 am on half way to my parents house. I had a 2 hour drive to my parents house to get the truck and trailer a 2 hour drive back to get the Jeep and a 2.5 hour drive home all after work on a Friday.

It sat at my parents house until September of last year. While it was at my parents house I would make trips home to work on and enjoy the jeep but never had more than a weekend. The first thing I felt I had to do was ditch the Pig Nose. It was busted up and someone had spray bombed it black and it just looked bad. So I found a Razor grille.

I did a full fluid change on everything including the Quadratrac, except the transmission as it looked pretty good. No pictures as I was mostly covered in fluids the whole time. :D

I also put new brake pads on the rear as it was down to the metal. P/O said he didn’t feel safe driving as he didn’t have good brakes. :shock: No kidding

That is how the Jeep was for the summer. Until September when I moved to a house with a garage. Preparing for a 2 hour drive after only ever driving for ~30 mins was to tighten my belts verify my fluids were good and oh yea I decided to flush the radiator. :idea: That turned out to be an issue as the radiator had evidently been rusting a way with plenty of holes filled with stop leak. So adding some coolant every 30 minutes I was on my way and made it with no issues except my speedo started clicking 30 mins out from Raleigh.

So within the first week of having the Jeep with me again and with my fountain of a radiator I decided to bite the bullet and place an order with BJ's for a new radiator. I didn’t want to risk it with an Ebay aluminium one and why not support BJ's.

So I yanked out the old radiator. Put in the new which I don’t have a picture of as I just wanted to drive again.

I also figured since I am working up here I might as well put in a transmission cooler. So I bought a B&M cooler off Amazon, some fittings and hose later cooler transmission. I could tell a difference on the first drive. The carpet had been removed earlier in its life and I was dealing with just metal between me and a heat box. The transmission tunnel after a long drive before would be hot, not burn your hand but you wouldn't need heat if it was wintertime. I chalked it up to being summer/fall and being warm with no carpet. After the transmission cooler however I barley saw temps over 160 throughout the fall and winter. However I did run into one issue I started getting a whine with rpms that scared me at first I thought I ruined the transmission but after reading countless forums on th400s everyone said change your filter first and check your fluid level, if that doesn't help then worry. Well I bought a transmission filter and crawled under the Jeep with a storage tub to catch the fluid. Not much room but it worked.

While I'm in there might as well put a trans temp gauge as well. While I’m doing that might as well put a Vacuum and volt gauge as well. I have sense replaced the thin metal with black ABS plastic and am much happier. I need to get a picture of It as it looks way better than this. I also decided to switch to a digital volt meter just haven’t put it in yet.
Stock radio hole was already messed up so I decided Id just make that my gauge panel and I’ll hide a radio eventually.

After topping off my fluid and hitting the road with no whines I was grinning ear to ear I decided to take a trip around Jordan lake.

The above picture was one of the happiest pictures I had taken of the Jeep. It was a great day until I decided I'd let the tailgate down and my switch that worked flawlessly until then decided it had enough and crapped out. I was furious and disgusted at the same time I thought I might be lucky and not have the rear window blues but boy was I wrong. So after blowing 2 fuses trying to test my window and finding out it was not the switch but instead somewhere in the wiring I gave up and pulled the fuse for the rear window and let it be. The window was up who cares I can still drive it. Then one day while installing some other gauges I bumped the switch by accident and I hear the window motor wine like it wants to roll down. I check the fuse its not in there, So I hold the switch down and just like it use to down goes the window. Now I am even more worried, so my only option now is to fix the wiring and run new as who knows what a P/O has done to make the window work with no fuse. So that is what I did I ran all new wires back with relays. I wish I would have just bought serehills kit as I would have came out way cheaper in the long run. I had the tools but I wanted to make sure it was right, so 10 gauge wire and crimp ends with a new heat gun and heat shrink to make sure my connections were protected.
Its done and I can look back and laugh now but it was a painful process. Also thanks again to BJ's cant really say that enough as I bought all the seals and felt and wipes and etc. to make sure I dont have to open up the access panel for a long time. I also used E clips on the pins I highly recommend this. Dont know the size I had a box of them from a previous job where the owners said they were going to throw them out, so I snatched them up.

After driving again for a while I realized I really couldn't see any thing in the stock side mirrors so off they went. Big thanks out to Ross (ross80truck) for my new side mirror mounts. These things are beefy and luckily Amazon also sells a mirror kit for a 90ish dodge truck, so both mirrors for 40 bucks and I was sitting pretty. I could finally see things in my mirrors.
I highly recommend these for anyone that has a full size Jeep and values your side mirrors quality product.

That catches everyone up to last week when I decided it was time.
Front.
Completed.
With the help of my brother and some friends we were able to knock it out in a weekend. Its a Skyjacker 4inch kit I bought thought BJ's I say completed but really it was shipped out missing two shocks. I contacted BJ's and had the other two shocks before the next weekend came around. Thanks again BJ's for help with that.

I am starting with brake lines and as it looks like right now I may be replacing hard lines. We will see I bought 4 inch extended lines and in an attempt to install them I realized I am going to strip every fitting nut as I don't have the proper wrench's anyway. So I went ahead and bought new nickel/copper line that is apparently the best you can buy because I wont skip on brakes. Highly recommended by East Coast Gear Supply up the road from me. Hopefully I can get the new lines in and finished up this weekend so I can drive it. Well brake lines and I have to get the drive shaft off of the exhaust/ Which means I might as well buy new u-joints. :D

twisted frame

Re: 1979 Golden Eagle Build

Post by twisted frame »

Excellent looking Golden Eagle! Nice that you still have the original rims in their original color.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
boone1882

Post by boone1882 »

Unfortunately they are not the original wheels or at least someone has painted over them with the original color.

Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Great build! Your picture with the new side mirrors on convinced me that is a must do - looks awesome. Could you tell me which mirror kit you bought? There are several choices and yours looks "just right".
Erik
1989 GW, 31s on rancho front and general spring rear

bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

Awesome Golden Eagle, I would really like to see it, I take it you are in the triad area? Check out ECI and bring it so we can check it out.
1987 GW 360/727/229 Performer intake Holley 670 32's 4" BJ's Springs CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Topic author
boone1882

Post by boone1882 »

Xplitivie - http://www.amazon.com/Passenger-Standar ... 1_1&sr=8-1] Mirros here. They have some better options but these were cheap and work well so far. I cant say enough about Ross's mirror mounts they look and work great.

bwwhaler - I’m thinking of hitting up ECI, I go to Uwharrie all the time in my xj, there are a lot of things I need to finish up before I go.

I did finish up brake lines, Had to run a new hard line to the back from the proportioning block. Once I get the drop pitman arm on the lift will be finished.

Took it on a quick trip up the road and blew a heater line. Its always something :D

Topic author
boone1882

Post by boone1882 »

I am considering what size I want to go with. I know I want to go Cooper STT pros but I'm stuck between 33's that actually measure 32.72 or 35's that actually measure 34.57. The pictures I have above are 31 10.50s that I measured to be ~30 inchs tall for reference. I realize 35s would be a little worse off road as far as gearing as I currently at 3.54 but right now I am more worried about what will fit better. I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions?

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

3.54 gearing was made for 33s :) There are a few out there who make 33s that really are 33. I think 35s would be a bit too big for that on road off road compromise. Should fit better too. I think the Skyjacker is a little bit of a softer spring that flexes nicely. 35s might grind up the fenders a bit at full flex.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Topic author
boone1882

Post by boone1882 »

Yea that Is what I was thinking too and I have seen else where but every time I look at it with 31s I think I know 34s would be perfect.

CheapJeepBrad

Post by CheapJeepBrad »

Front.
Completed.
With the help of my brother and some friends we were able to knock it out in a weekend. Its a Skyjacker 4inch kit I bought thought BJ's I say completed but really it was shipped out missing two shocks. I contacted BJ's and had the other two shocks before the next weekend came around. Thanks again BJ's for help with that.

I am starting with brake lines and as it looks like right now I may be replacing hard lines. We will see I bought 4 inch extended lines and in an attempt to install them I realized I am going to strip every fitting nut as I don't have the proper wrench's anyway. So I went ahead and bought new nickel/copper line that is apparently the best you can buy because I wont skip on brakes. Highly recommended by East Coast Gear Supply up the road from me. Hopefully I can get the new lines in and finished up this weekend so I can drive it. Well brake lines and I have to get the drive shaft off of the exhaust/ Which means I might as well buy new u-joints. :D[/quote]

Hey Zach, good to catch up with you on the chief/golden eagle. I was looking at this pic of the suspension install. why does it apear that the front wheels are too far back and the rears are too far forward? Great GE BTW. Love the black on gold!
Current FSJs:
79 Chief White/Russet
78 Chief orange/tan
FSJs Owned:
87 GW: Garnet/Oxblood
83 GW: Green/Peanut Butter
87 GW: Black/Oxblood
74 Cherokee NT: Blue/Brown
77 Chief:Tan/Garnet
87 GW: Silver/Oxblood
79 Cherokee Golden Eagle: Garnet/Tan
81 J10 blue/blue
77 Chief brown/tan
83 J10 Laredo: Red/Black
82 Cherokee: blue/black

CheapJeepBrad

Post by CheapJeepBrad »

[/quote]

Front.
Completed.

I am starting with brake lines and as it looks like right now I may be replacing hard lines. We will see I bought 4 inch extended lines and in an attempt to install them I realized I am going to strip every fitting nut as I don't have the proper wrench's anyway. So I went ahead and bought new nickel/copper line that is apparently the best you can buy because I wont skip on brakes. Highly recommended by East Coast Gear Supply up the road from me. Hopefully I can get the new lines in and finished up this weekend so I can drive it. Well brake lines and I have to get the drive shaft off of the exhaust/ Which means I might as well buy new u-joints. :D[/quote]

Hey Zach, good to catch up with you on the chief/golden eagle. I was looking at this pic of the suspension install. why does it apear that the front wheels are too far back and the rears are too far forward? Great GE BTW. Love the black on gold!
Current FSJs:
79 Chief White/Russet
78 Chief orange/tan
FSJs Owned:
87 GW: Garnet/Oxblood
83 GW: Green/Peanut Butter
87 GW: Black/Oxblood
74 Cherokee NT: Blue/Brown
77 Chief:Tan/Garnet
87 GW: Silver/Oxblood
79 Cherokee Golden Eagle: Garnet/Tan
81 J10 blue/blue
77 Chief brown/tan
83 J10 Laredo: Red/Black
82 Cherokee: blue/black

Topic author
boone1882

Post by boone1882 »

Thanks Brad, Im not really sure why it appears that way but you are right it does look like that. Right now I am going to chalk it up to a weird angle of the picture, but I am going to look into it tomorrow.

Topic author
boone1882

Post by boone1882 »

Went out and measured and figured out what it was. This was right after I put the lift on and backed it up ~10 feet so nothing had settled into place yet. I have sense drove it and it appears to be good now. You had me worried for a second.

Topic author
boone1882

Post by boone1882 »

Found a great deal on a set of Cooper STT's since they are replacing them with the STT pro's. 33x12.50 R15's as suggest and I agree they are perfect 35s would have been to big. So far I love them, had a 2 hour drive including a short distance on the highway and they road and tracked great. Now I just need to get them in the dirt.

I also had to run a new exhaust to get the driveshaft out of of the y-pipe after the lift. So I had a set of duels on ran out the sides tucked up between the frame and the rocker dumping in front of the tire. Flowmaster mufflers and It sounds exactly like I want it to, nice low grunt and no drone and speed.

~110 miles and 8.844 gallons gets me over 12.5 mpg too so im happy with that as well.

MJMadness

Post by MJMadness »

I'm curious how the diamond plate interior panels look. Any pictures of them? You've got a nice looking Cherokee, BTW.

Topic author
boone1882

Post by boone1882 »

Im working on getting some pictures of the inside just been busy.

Took a trip to the Outer Banks last weekend in the baby jeep. Had a blast on 4x4 beach and in Corolla.

Then this weekend we took the Golden Eagle on its first adventure at Uwharrie.

msh227

Post by msh227 »

boone1882 wrote:Xplitivie - http://www.amazon.com/Passenger-Standar ... 1_1&sr=8-1] Mirros here. They have some better options but these were cheap and work well so far. I cant say enough about Ross's mirror mounts they look and work great.

bwwhaler - I’m thinking of hitting up ECI, I go to Uwharrie all the time in my xj, there are a lot of things I need to finish up before I go.

I did finish up brake lines, Had to run a new hard line to the back from the proportioning block. Once I get the drop pitman arm on the lift will be finished.

Took it on a quick trip up the road and blew a heater line. Its always something :D

Can you post a link for the mirror mounts you used??

Thanks
Matt

1978 J10 5.3L/700r4/QT swap in progress.....

37x14.50R15 TOYO Open Country MT
4.56 Gears
6" BJs springs w/ BJs offroad shackles in front & 2" blocks in rear to level.
3" body lift

Build Thread:
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2300

Topic author
boone1882

Post by boone1882 »

Mirror mounts came from Ross here is the link to his vendor page : http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =34&t=6327

Still think its one of the best upgrades I have done.