Another LS 6.0 engine swap - many pics!

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

j20owner

Re: Another LS 6.0 engine swap - many pics!

Post by j20owner »

Actually, no, they don't spin from the factory. The right side axle shaft is actually 2 pieces that spline together when in 4hi. The left axle shaft spins the diff gears all the time, but the front driveshaft does not necessarily turn. If there is a locker in the front axle on a GM truck, then yes, the front drive shaft will spin. As they are built, it 'generally' will not. The spin is eaten up in the differential by the side gears and differential gears.
Tatsadasayago wrote:And here i thought Capitalism was hitting the Shift Key...

pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

Maybe in one model of Chevy may have a disconnect fron axle, but it's not needed. Early Jeeps and Dodges also had disconnects, but later dropped them.

Dodge trucks, TJs, JKs, Libertys all also came with the 241. XJs and Wranglers also came with the 231 since the 80s. None have disconnects. It really is fine. You do not need free hubs.

In fact, I don't know of any transfer case (short of AWD cases) that need axle disconnects in 2hi.
85 Grand Wagoneer 5.2/44RE/NP229
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke

Okiefromwatonga

Post by Okiefromwatonga »

Simply amazing. I've not seen anyone take that much time on documenting a Jeep Restoration. Love it. Keep up the good work and happy Jeeping. :fsj:

COLORADOCRAWLER

Post by COLORADOCRAWLER »

CAPTSmith wrote:
COLORADOCRAWLER wrote:
CAPTSmith wrote:QUESTION: Noticed my TC case seems to be making a lot of noise and found out that while in 2H my front drive shaft will turn but no power is applied to front wheels. Is this normal for an NP241c TC?
My best guess is that you have a driveshaft vibration issue. The front driveshaft angle probably changed a little with the swap causing the upper CV to conflict with the lower u-joint. My YJ does this (transfer case noise) if I go over about 45 with the hubs locked in. If you intall manual locking hubs and get rid of the drive slugs the front shaft won't turn and the vibration will go away. You might recheck your lower driveshaft angle. It must be pointing almost straight at the xfer case (between 1-4 degrees deflection) to prevent driveshaft vibes.

It could also be an out of balance shaft, worn u-joint, or slack in the drive chain in the xfer case? :banghead:
In order to stop the front drive shaft from turning while in 2H, please tell me more about getting rid of the 'drive slugs ' and installing manual locking hubs as this is an area I'm weak in! Thanks! :-bd
I referred to them as drive slugs earlier (bottom pic). They are more properly called drive flanges and they go in place of the traditional manual locking hub (top pic) to accomodate full time 4wd settups. You just have to remove them and install a set of manual locking hubs to keep your driveshaft from spinning when in 2H. I did mention slack in your xfer case drive chain; if you spin the front drive shaft with no load applied to it, you will hear noise from the transfer case. If you are in 4H you will not hear it as much at the same speed, unless you fiind that sweet spot where you are neither accelerating or decelerating, because you are either applying a positive or negative load to the chain the rest of the time. Don't know if you've ever ran a dirtbike or motorcycle up on a frame stand, but you get the same effect when you apply/remove throttle. The chain "floats" over the sprockets when it's spinning at high speed with no load applied to it. This floating affect causes the chain to vibrate and make noise. Of course dirt bike chains are supposed to have quite a bit of slack in them to allow the swing arm to travel through it's arc, not so much with transfer cases. Both my YJ and F250 do this if I leave the hubs locked in and drive at higher speeds in 2H, the YJ more so because it has some driveshaft angularity issues with the tall lift and low pinion Wagoneer Dana 44. That being said, I've never had any issues with either of those transfer cases. I usually just keep the hubs unlocked unless I need 4WD. :-bd All that boils down to this: IIWY I would install manual hubs and complete the transformation of your rig into the part time 4x4 that it has become with the NP241C installed. :fsj:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Rick
87' GW 5.3/4l60E/NP241C, Dakota Digital dash, high steer, 31's, still needs a bigfoot gas pedal to tie it all together.
90' YJ 3 link coils front, 4 link double triangulated coils rear, D44s, ARBs, 4.56, 35's

Okiefromwatonga

I second what Coloradocrawler said. I beleive that the truck the Xfer case came from had some sort of disconnecting hubs/axle (vaccume done most likely) much like what the XJ Cherokee's had.

Topic author
CAPTSmith

Post by CAPTSmith »

Thanks all for your 'knowledge sharing' on the transfer case, drive shaft, slugs and hubs! :-bd I've talked with my friend at BJ's, Ryan Hart, and we have identified a nice set of Warn Premium Locking Hubs that will not only stop the front drive shaft from spinning and making that loud noise, but also decrease front axle wear-&-tear, make me go faster and even save on gas - doesn't get any better than that!
Captain Dennis Smith, U.S. Navy
*'88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer w/GM LS 6.0 Vortec/4L80e/NP241c
*'89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer stock trail rig
*74 AMC Javelin AMX w/360, 4-speed Hurst, over 450 hp monster!
*83 Jeep CJ7 engine swap (305/TH400,Dana300/Dana44s)

Engine swap build thread: http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1011

pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

Capt, make sure the pump or chain isn't rubbing the case, too. Since the front output freewheels in 2hi, it shouldn't make any abnormal noise.
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke

Topic author
CAPTSmith

Post by CAPTSmith »

pcoplin wrote:Capt, make sure the pump or chain isn't rubbing the case, too. Since the front output freewheels in 2hi, it shouldn't make any abnormal noise.

Roger that, thanks for the info, I'll have to check that out also. :-bd

Topic author
CAPTSmith

Post by CAPTSmith »

Just finished installing the grill, pie pans, etc. Also, finished installing the Dakota Digital gauge cluster, new stero (Bluetooth enabled, iPhone & iPod readable, USB ports, etc.) without cutting up the dash as it was a perfect fit, new speakers - 4 in same place as OEM location and dash molding:

ImageIMG_1212.JPG by mdsmithrd, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1223.JPG by mdsmithrd, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1221.JPG by mdsmithrd, on Flickr

ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

Looks great!

What color did you use on the grill?
1988 Grand Wagoneer, , 6" on 33x12.5 BFG M/Ts & Mickey Thompson Classic wheels
Currently undergoing a 5.3/6L80E/NP241C swap!
You can view my Build/Work In Progress thread by clicking HERE!

j20owner

Post by j20owner »

pcoplin wrote:Maybe in one model of Chevy may have a disconnect fron axle, but it's not needed. Early Jeeps and Dodges also had disconnects, but later dropped them.

Dodge trucks, TJs, JKs, Libertys all also came with the 241. XJs and Wranglers also came with the 231 since the 80s. None have disconnects. It really is fine. You do not need free hubs.

In fact, I don't know of any transfer case (short of AWD cases) that need axle disconnects in 2hi.

I feel 100% confident in saying that no GM truck has had a front axle without a disconnect in the last 25 years. I should know, I work on them every day. They are electronically controlled, for the most part, short of some early models(88-91 or so) and the little S trucks that use vacuum. That transfer case did not have a turning front output unless it was in 4hi or 4lo. I would take the wear and tear off the front axle, differential, front u joints, and front output components of the transfer case, regardless.

Just thought I'd share.
Tatsadasayago wrote:And here i thought Capitalism was hitting the Shift Key...

pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

j20owner wrote:
I feel 100% confident in saying that no GM truck has had a front axle without a disconnect in the last 25 years. I should know, I work on them every day. They are electronically controlled, for the most part, short of some early models(88-91 or so) and the little S trucks that use vacuum. That transfer case did not have a turning front output unless it was in 4hi or 4lo. I would take the wear and tear off the front axle, differential, front u joints, and front output components of the transfer case, regardless.

Just thought I'd share.
Does it really matter? I never said that all Chevy's didn't have disconnects. I don't really care. All I was trying to tell him is that there is no MECHANICAL limitation that the front can't spin all the time. You should know this if you do rebuild them for a living. In every other iteration of every other manufacturer of that t-case is a vehicle without a disconnect. He does not NEED selectable hubs unless he wants to add them. That's all I was saying.
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke

Okiefromwatonga

Sir, now all that's missing is a short video of the beast running so we can all hear the 6.0. (Just as a side note, I never could get the navy ranks right so thank you for putting a picture with your rank, I got balled out by a LT/O3 for calling him Captain one time. I'm just happy that the 04 that was with him understood that I was army and confused and sent me on my way.)

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

How did you vent the fuel tank? Did you use the 6.0's canister and purge system?

Thanks!
Bill

Topic author
CAPTSmith

Post by CAPTSmith »

ProTouring442 wrote:How did you vent the fuel tank? Did you use the 6.0's canister and purge system?

Thanks!
Bill
Hi Bill, vented without canister and plugged purge system.

Topic author
CAPTSmith

Post by CAPTSmith »

Okiefromwatonga wrote:Sir, now all that's missing is a short video of the beast running so we can all hear the 6.0. (Just as a side note, I never could get the navy ranks right so thank you for putting a picture with your rank, I got balled out by a LT/O3 for calling him Captain one time. I'm just happy that the 04 that was with him understood that I was army and confused and sent me on my way.)
Yes, as soon as I learn to do a video with my iPhone will try to post it. Sounds like the LT was a jerk and should have cut an Army guy some slack. By-the-way, I had 7 yrs as enlisted USAF so I know what you're talking about regarding the different rank system, still confusing to me with 38 yrs in DoD and till serving and drilling!

Topic author
CAPTSmith

Post by CAPTSmith »

ShawnQ wrote:Looks great!

What color did you use on the grill?
Hi Shawn, I used chrome paint (MRO Chrome Galvanized Coating) from Eastwood.com . Not perfect, but close enough for now! Also, found a chrome plating Co. that can chrome plate fiberglas (like my grill & pie pans) and plastics, but cost anywhere from $500-1200! Not sure I want to pay that much at this time! :-?

bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

Wow Capt. What a build, very nice sir.
1987 GW 360/727/229 Performer intake Holley 670 32's 4" BJ's Springs CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Wow, the dash looks really nice. That's the first digital dash I've seen set up in that new of a waggle- nice work, Capt'n!

pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

Does the newer Waggys have a single DIN dash? If they do, I'm wondering if the black trim you have there will swap over.
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke