SM465

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
surfwagoneer

SM465

Post by surfwagoneer »

Anyone run a sm465? I'm going to look at a SM465/205 combo in a few days at a great price. Planning on picking up an adapter from Advance Adapters. The great price for the combo would balance out a pricey adapter. I would also need to convert to a clutch set up but I imagine I can take one out of an older manual? The chief is currently running a th400. Any input would be great!
89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.
78 Cherokee Chief- work in progress

Cheap Hobby

Re: SM465

Post by Cheap Hobby »

The mean woman has an 81 Scottsdale 30 HD with the SM465. It is pretty much a 3 speed for daily use. We only use first when towing in slop over mud or we want to tick off traffic behind us or wash and wax the truck whole it idles down the trail. It is a great box for slow steady work. But for daily use it can get a bit old. We usually just shift 2,3,4.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The main issue with the truck 4-speeds - other than the Jeep T-18 for the V8s - is their length. They are much shorter than the factory combo, and the shifter stalk ends up under the dash. If you want to use the SM465, you can bend the shifter stalk in a dog-leg so that it clears the dash and is within reach. Expect to move everything forward a lot, and this combo will be heavy.

You should be able to do this without an adapter. Look at the Novak page - http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/adap ... to_amc.htm

You will need a 360 flywheel. Clutch parts should be easy - use the factory Jeep cover and a disk that's the right diameter and matches the SM465 splines. See the Novak page.

Many V6 CJs have been converted to the SM465, with good results.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

Surf, you lucky devil you. I searched high and low for one while I was doing my swap. Ended up still using my T176 against the 5.3. If you find another or change your mind about the swap, I'll be happy to take it off your hands. LOL I'd be willing to bet that your rear driveshaft will be at the splines on the slip yoke and the front shaft will be about 4 inches too long. Ask me how I know. Anyway, if ya need any coincidental parts, let me know. I may have what you need. :D
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

Thanks for all the information guys.

tgreese I have already read through novak and I would need a bellhousing from a 1980-86 cj then bore the bellhousing and drill the matching transmission bolt pattern on the bellhousing. Which is all doable......or novak offers the whole kit with appropriate bellhousing.

racerx the sm465's are around here to be had, but finding one for the right price and good shape seems to be the problem. As far as drive shafts I was already figuring that I'll need new ones made up no matter what direction I'm going. I'll be doing SOA w/ front springs flipped to push the front axle 2" forward, as a few here have done, and matching shackle flip in the back with chevy springs stretching the rear about 5". I'm def going to need new driveshafts! Plus with the dana 60 in the front I don't think the little stocker with last too long. As far as parts needed the only thing I think I will need is all the clutch parts and pedal assembly. Let me know if you have any of this laying around!
89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

Cheap Hobby wrote:The mean woman has an 81 Scottsdale 30 HD with the SM465. It is pretty much a 3 speed for daily use. We only use first when towing in slop over mud or we want to tick off traffic behind us or wash and wax the truck whole it idles down the trail. It is a great box for slow steady work. But for daily use it can get a bit old. We usually just shift 2,3,4.
The plans for this thing definitely are not for a daily driver. I already have a great GW for that. Although it will be capable of screaming down the highway if need be. This build will be focused on a capable trail crawler. :fsj:

BIG79J10

Post by BIG79J10 »

I have an SM465/205 in my J truck behind a 5.3 chevy. I converted it to a hydraulic clutch setup using parts from a Chevy K30. I used the master, slave, and the hose. I made a bracket out of some 3/8 flat bar and welded some round rod to it to make a backbone for it to keep it from bending with the pressure of the setup. I bolted that bracket to the bellhousing bolts. Also I needed to make a custom rod for the slave cylinder, to achieve the correct amount of throw on the clutch release arm. I used a manual release arm not a hydraulic arm. I had to pull the AC unit out of my truck, (it didn't work anyways), so that the shifter of the transmission could come through.
79 J10--- 5.3, SM465/NP205, SOA'd on Chevy 3/4 tons. Sitting on 37's............ IT FINALLY MOVES UNDER ITS OWN POWER!!!!

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

Big79J10 how do you like running that set up? I just sourced a amc-sm465 bellhousing so I need to start figuring out the clutch set up etc now. What did you end up doing with the master cylinder/brake booster? I'm always up for any words of wisdom!

cbreeze

SM465

Post by cbreeze »

I ran an sm465/dana300 behind the dauntless in my 67 commando for a long time. As a daily driver it wasn't anyworse than the t14 that it had before. I ran a hydraulic clutch setup from parts mike. I thought long and hard about putting that box in my wagon but I really want overdrive so I'm doing the ax15 when I get done with this trip I'm on. It's not a speedy shifter. Your grabbin gears like bobby biggrigger in that thing but only havin 3 to work with realistically. But I like that sort of thing. Especially with power steering and a hydraulic clutch it's not bad to drive at all.

Edit- it was awesome on trails with the six and would've been awesome behind an 8 also but there wasn't anywhere to go from 1st and you had to lean some throttle modulation to drive it. It's a one trick pony with a pretty good trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Why not skip the 4spd and go with an nv4500 ?

That allows me to run 5.38 gears (the lowest a 14bolt can go) 42's and still do 2250 RPM's at 75MPH.

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

I see were your going and if I had an NV4500 fall in my lap I would never look back.

racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

Surf, if you're going hydraulic on your clutch, I found a real easy way to go on that one. Look on Speedway motors. They have an inline release bearing that is the stuff. Its relativly inexpencive and so far, its working great. I paired it with a Willwood 3/4' master cylinder with the remote reservoir. It worked out really smooth on my application.
The only fabrication I had to do was a bushing to get the master cylinder off the brake booster. Here's that.
Just food for thought. Maybe this will help. Speaking of food, time for breakfast.
Daniel

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

racerx, that's perfect. That's exactly the type of information that I'm looking for. It sounds like a hydraulic clutch is the way to go so that is on my list. I ended up finding a amc to sm465 adapter on pirate for a fair price and pulled the trigger on that. So the major parts are acquired, lots of little parts and intricacy's to still work out, clutch set up etc.

racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

I'll tell you that there was about 50% good and bad reviews about that bearing, but I dont mind saying its the way to go. A little aggrivating to get the head space set up, but worth it in the long run. The only suggestion I have is if you go with that bearing setup, get the remote bleeding tube. I didn't, but in hindsight it would be worth it. At least in my case it is worth it. (Big hands, little hole)

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/GM-Stock- ... ,1945.html
This is the one I used and I love it.
Daniel

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

Racer do you remember what clutch you ended up using?

racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

I sure do. It was just a standard 11inch clutch from a 1968 Chevy C10. The spline size and count for the Jeep T176 was exactly the same. The only thing I had to do was to have the bearing retainer for the 176 turned down to fit a Chevy release bearing, but that shouldn't even play in for you since you are using a SM465. The only thing is where the shifter is going to come through the floor. I had to modify my tranny cover to move the hole forward. It's nothing to it though. I just cut a section out of the front of the hole,welded the 2 sections back, then cut behind the hole and added the section I cut out back behind.It actually worked out pretty good.I'll see if I can dig up some pictures of how I did it.
Daniel

racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

If you want to, go to my build thread, Project Low budget Chevy Swap. At the bottom of page one are some pictures of how I did the floor pan. It all worked in the end.
Daniel

racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

So, how goes the swap so far?
Daniel

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

The progress on this build will be slow. I did however go to Gulches this past weekend with some friends. After witnessing a few other rigs and their capabilities I've pretty much decided to drop the manual conversion and keep my automatic. I'll lose a decent amount of gearing but I think keeping the turbo 400 will suit me the best in the end. Plus this will get me running and on the trail much quicker. I've still yet to decide if I'm going to let go of the sm465/205 and amc to sm465 bellhousing that I have but if anyone is interested hit me up.